TV Home Forum

News 24 v Sky News

(July 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NS
NickyS Founding member
Interesting that some new figures show that more people watched News 24 for the Tory leadership ballot and Archer trial result than Sky News. It meant that News 24 pulled ahead of Sky in multi-channel homes for the first time across the week. Almost three times as many people chose to get the Tory result on News 24 than on Sky.
I'm not going to comment on the figures - just throw them into the melting pot for everyone else to have a say.
MA
Marcus Founding member
The Archer result went out on BBC1. I wouldn't put it past the BBC to include these figures in the total. Apparently they include Breakfast as a News24 programme now.
MG
MikeG
To be fair, it was a simulcast with BBC One and it was billed as a News 24 Special by Chris Eakin who announced the verdict on News 24.

OT: Why does BBC News 24 have a different colour clock to BBC One when they do Breakfast?
MG
MikeG
MikeG posted:
To be fair, it was a simulcast with BBC One and it was billed as a News 24 Special by Chris Eakin who announced the verdict on News 24.

OT: Why does BBC News 24 have a different colour clock to BBC One when they do Breakfast?

Or maybe they should be put the other way around! Why does BBC One have a different colour clock to BBC News 24 when they do Breakfast?
RY
ryan
BBC News 24 has a purple clock when they broadcast Breakfast because it is News 24's default colour clock!
Though, I do prefer the red clock in some ways. If you watch Breakfast on BBC One on Sky Digital (on channel 101) the red clock comes up quite large, and this, I think, looks rather cool! Smile
NS
NickyS Founding member
Marcus posted:
The Archer result went out on BBC1. I wouldn't put it past the BBC to include these figures in the total. Apparently they include Breakfast as a News24 programme now.

It doesn't ... these figures are for multi-channel homes where they chose News 24 over Sky News.
AS
Asa Admin
Is it me or is this thread missing a couple of Sky regulars? Smile

Now, why could that be?

Cheers, Asa (definitely not stiring things up!)
MG
MikeG
Ooh Asa! Can't guess what you mean!

Signed BBC News 24's BIGGEST fan!
RO
rob Founding member
I couldnt sleep the other night so i get up at 4 and turn news 24 on and i found my self still watching at 6 i think theres some thing hipnotic about news channels..no cant turn off might miss something...
Incredabley sad isnt it?
:-(
A former member
Well the BBC must have been fiddling with the figures then!

Nah, they're probably right. But there's a first time for everything.

Signed Sky News and ITN's BIGGEST fan.
TP
Techy Peep Founding member
Viewing figures aren't done by individual companys such as the Beeb or Sky. They are commissioned by the TV Industry as a whole and collated by an independant company who get their figures from a cross-section of the population who they give special boxes to which log the stations they watch
CA
cat
It's not the first time this has happened...
News 24 beat Sky for a month in 1998, but since then the viewing figures for Sky have remained steady and constantly beaten News 24.
Don't expect a trend!

The Archer Trial will have had BBC One included, the BBC always do that.
Also - don't forget News 24 is available in 30% more households than Sky News!

Nicky, in the fuel crisis Sky battered the hell out of News 24 in the ratings. Increasing viewing figures by 300%. News 24 in comparison didn't even get close. You can't tell me that sort of viewer loyalty has just vanished!

Sky are, at the moment, in the middle of a relaunch - and were during the leadership contest. They are probably loosing viewers hand over fist because they are in this temporary set, it happened in 1998 too.
But they always come back.

I did not see the most recent Tory leadership vote on either of the channels so I can't comment on that, but from the ones I did see, Sky always had the bigger interviews first - the only exception being Portillo - and actually looked prepared for the event.

I doubt it's going to worry Sky much, they've been at this stage before.
If we look at the US market for a moment, it's been proven that a lot of people chose Fox News for breaking news. But during national events CNN's figures multiply by about 20.
As do Sky's when there is a national event.
It's stupid to compare either channel at the moment. News 24 is operating at its regular pace (snail speed) whereas Sky is currently in temporary accomodation - and clearly not at its best.
Let's wait until September then start making the comparisons again.

The BBC have a habit of inflating viewing figures anyway. The Government issued a warning to them when they put out that News 24 was beating Sky News in audience figures.
What they didn't say was that they took the ratings on Saturday morning when News 24 is shown on BBC Two.

Until Sky relaunches it's unfair to make any sort of comparisons between the channels - you'd say exactly the same if the situation was reversed.

It's happened before Nicky and the audience will no doubt return to Sky once the relauch is completed.

I'd argue that the Bulger case is far more important than either of the other two stories mentioned there. I'd put money on Sky beating News 24 for that, and also for the Milosevic happenings.

Let's just wait until the relaunch until we make comparisons! Don't kick a man when he's down is the phrase that, I think, applies here.

Newer posts