TV Home Forum

Is this the BBC's first black weather presenter?

(March 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
nodnirG kraM
I don't think I've ever seen any weather presenter on the BBC who is anything but caucasian, but Sunday night and this evening I noticed this gentleman presenting the weather on News 24.
http://www.tvhome.netfirms.com/upload/weather.jpg

Is he new? He's absolutely brilliant! I want to see more of him (not in the dodgy way Wink ) !!
Does anyone know his name?

(Edited by nodnirG kraM at 1:17 am on Mar. 26, 2002)
IS
Isonstine Founding member
That'll be Jay Wynne who usually does the forecasts on BBC WORLD.
JA
james
He`s been around for a while hasn`t he??
DE
denton
He's not the only one... ever seen Everton Fox ?
JA
james
Everton Fox thats who I meant I have seen him on News 24
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Jay and Everton have both been on BBC WORLD for, ooh, around a year now I think. Weird thing is, it seemed like they both appeared at around the same time. Was wondering at the time if they were used domestically, when I got back here I was mildly surprised they weren't because they're both good forcasters.

Do all BBC forcasters get thier 'training' on WORLD now? I suppose in thier first few months they did seem a bit amaturish but improved soon enough.

A few years ago the BBC would have generated a bit of PR about this, 'the BBC's first black weather forcasters' and stuff, but these days I think if they did people would be asking 'why haven't they employed any before now?' so they seem to be sneaking them in quietly.
JA
Jason
I must admit I never even noticed... and I have seen that guy on TV. Colour of his skin never even registered!
NS
NickyS Founding member
Jay and Everton have been on World for ages now. Not sure if it still applies but it always used to be than trained metreologists did World while Met trained presenters mainly did News 24. Hence Jay and Everton appeared most of the time on World ... but I think everybody does all the channels now so that's why they've started appearing on News 24.
MG
MikeG
Both presenters usually do BBC World Weather as well as weather for the British Forces overseas.
HA
harshy Founding member
You never know, you might she Victoria Good and Susan Powell come to do BBC UK weather next!
AN
andyrew Founding member
I've not kept upto date on this, but there was a plan for all weathers to be recorded in the weather centre for N24 (like what happens for World). Although Everton & Jay (and others) are properly trained forecasters, they have not got live TV experience yet and therefore why they have not been seen before on N24 or PSTV.
KA
Katherine Founding member
There's also a black weather presenter on Radio Lincolnshire, called Lukwesa Burak.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/radiolincolnshire/images/lukwesa.jpg

Newer posts