TV Home Forum

BBC News 24 and BBC World to possibly fully merge.

(October 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
Aaron J Tibbett
Gary posted:
Just out of interest, how do they calculate viewing figures?  Does anyone know, as it really fasinates me?

There are so many people that are on the BARB viewing panel or something, and they have a little box in the house that keeps asking them what they are watching I think.

I'm sure I read thats how they are calculated, I hope someone can explain better though, as I've always wondered too! Smile
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Techy Peep posted:
NickyS posted:
rts posted:
Well some people I actually work with say themeselves that News 24 is named after how many viewers they have!

That may have been true in 1997 at the start - but it is way off the mark now.
Certain weeks News 24 is ahead of Sky News - who ofcourse have about a 7 year head start on News 24.

It seems that viewing figures are generated by multitudes of 80,000, so 24 viewers I think is unrealistic.

Wake up to the real world before you spout off crap

Correct - even my Grandma watched News 24 last week!!
IA
Ian
Did rts tell us what/where his source is/was?
TP
Techy Peep Founding member
I have my ear firmly fixed to the ground for any juicy gossip going around the hallowed halls of TVC, but I've heard absolutely nothing about this 'merge'. If anything, there's rumours about nationals & N24 merging, but absolutely nothing about World & N24
TP
Techy Peep Founding member
Aaron J Tibbett posted:
Gary posted:
Just out of interest, how do they calculate viewing figures?  Does anyone know, as it really fasinates me?

There are so many people that are on the BARB viewing panel or something, and they have a little box in the house that keeps asking them what they are watching I think.

I'm sure I read thats how they are calculated, I hope someone can explain better though, as I've always wondered too! Smile

A cross-section of the public are given boxes which snoop on what you are watching, log the channel, time & how long you were watching for.
Overnight, this data is phoned through to BARB and collated, ready for managers at their meetings in the morning to analyse
NE
newsjunkie Founding member
Nationals and News 24 merging !!!!!!!!!
HA
harshy Founding member
No please don't merge the National's with BBCCrap 24, I like the National style!!!!!!!!!

That's interesting to note from Nicky S that the presentation dudes are the same, but watching BBC World, BBc Crap 24 is like watching two different channels from different organisations even!

What I'd like is to see Crap 24 treat their UK asian viewers properly and give us Asia Today at 9.30 pm!
RW
RW
It's all down to personal tastes though, isn't it? Personally, I much prefer BBC News 24's presentation; from what I've seen of BBC World, I'm afraid, I find it incredibly boring!
Very Happy
BB
BBC912
BBC World & BBC News 24 are different because BBC World is for other countries not ours really (hence the name BBC World), NEWS 24 is our 24 hour news channel, yeah the presentation is better but that's not the point here the two will never merge!!!!

Newer posts