TV Home Forum

BBC News 24 and BBC World to possibly fully merge.

(October 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james2001 Founding member
rts posted:
Hi people. People with a digital satalite receiver however will be able to watch either the news or an alternate programme such as talking movies.

What about Digi cable or DTT? Over 3 million people have decided they can do fine going digital without a metal heap sticking off the side of their house.

(Edited by james2001 at 9:45 pm on Oct. 16, 2001)
NS
NickyS Founding member
harshy posted:
BBC News 24 need to bring in the presentation dudes at World!

The presentation dudes as you call them are the same! The same head of presentation is in charge of all the graphics/look of all of BBC News output on World, News 24 and Nationals!!!
Also adding to what I said earlier you are not going to get a joint News 24/World because it would go against the nature of the two channels ... take for example The Budget - a huge domestic story, of no interest really to the rest of the world, the same applies to most political stories. The BBC remit for News 24 would not stand up.
Expect more World programmes on BBC 4 - which will save some money.
Also merging pres styles (eg generic BBC News titles all the time) would save peanuts ... that's not what costs the money - it's people that cost money and newsgathering.
TM
ToM
Do not merge I say, because the situation of an international and national channel are good. For instance, with the Jull Dando murder charge and Josie russel murder charge mean alot in the UK, but not much overseas, That would look silly on world showing UK news.

I say make 24 more like world but do not merge. No sense. the BBc should be able to pay for it's channels that it starts.
NS
NickyS Founding member
rts posted:
Well some people I actually work with say themeselves that News 24 is named after how many viewers they have!

That may have been true in 1997 at the start - but it is way off the mark now.
Certain weeks News 24 is ahead of Sky News - who ofcourse have about a 7 year head start on News 24.
MI
Mich Founding member
Theres nothing like a unqualified rumour to get us all talking the there! I think they should stay as they are, the only change I would like to see if BBC 24 to go slightly more in depth to allow the BBC to start a new channel! BBC 5[live], with LDN style news(from all of the reviews it seams damn good!), discussion like The Wright Show(say what you like, its a different style, i'm just trying to get the idea of a mix of 'heavy' and light stories discussed livelyly?!?), and intersperse that with Liquid News and a new daily sports shown, with a satirical show at the end of the day. FIVE LIVE TV!
JA
Id liike to see the change in the law which would let BBC World broadcast in the UK in conjunction with news 24.
J2
j2k
[quote="james2001"]
rts posted:
Over 3 million people have decided they can do fine going digital without a metal heap sticking off the side of their house.

James2001, please will you stop slagging Sky off at every opportunity possible? Just cos you think cable is the best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean everyone else shares your opinion.

I personally like the design of the minidish and don't think of it as a 'metal heap sticking off the side of my house'.
JA
I dont slag them off in every possible opportunity. I never said cable is the best thing since sliced bread, but it is the market leader in most of the world so its only natural we follow suit in a few years- when the infastructure is sorted and anlogue has closed and VOD launches, and broadband TV kicks off. Not in anyones lifetime then.
PE
Pete Founding member
In relation to Mich's comments I do think BBC N24 is becoming too newsified for a news channel if you know what I mean.

They really should have more important programmes and interactivity. I mean how many N24 progs can Anaglogfiles like oneself name

- HardTalk
- Biz Today
- WBR
- and, erm the Sports one in the mornings.

They should have something like the Wright Stuff (which is fantastic) and should have far more promotion on BBC 1/2.

Also, as my Dad pointed out, and he's not exactly into TV pres, the problem with News24 is it has no breaking news. They reall need to make a bigger deal of breaking news and get it out quicker.

I remember reading that all news had to go though a commitee before being broadcast, ditch that for starters, broadcast news as you get it in mentioning it is unconfirmed. People will understand if you make the odd mistake and if they are cafeful enough they could pull it off and have a Sky Beating channel that even c@t might like.

ph
TP
Techy Peep Founding member
NickyS posted:
rts posted:
Well some people I actually work with say themeselves that News 24 is named after how many viewers they have!

That may have been true in 1997 at the start - but it is way off the mark now.
Certain weeks News 24 is ahead of Sky News - who ofcourse have about a 7 year head start on News 24.

It seems that viewing figures are generated by multitudes of 80,000, so 24 viewers I think is unrealistic.

Wake up to the real world before you spout off crap
GA
Gary Founding member
Just out of interest, how do they calculate viewing figures? Does anyone know, as it really fasinates me?
TB
tbj
Quote:
Quote: from Hymagumba on 10:36 pm on Oct. 16, 2001
I remember reading that all news had to go though a commitee before being broadcast, ditch that for starters

A committee - not quite my friend Smile.  From what i understand when sky receive news from the Wires they are willing to broadcast it in some cases without any additional verification at all. The BBC on the other hand prefer to check at least one additional source before running the story.

If news content were decided by a committee then nothing would ever be broadcast.  (That's what News Editors are for)Very Happy

broadcast news as you get it in mentioning it is unconfirmed. People will understand if you make the odd mistake and if they are cafeful enough they could pull it off

Once in a while this may work however the authoritativeness and reliability of news broadcasts would be severely undermined if they were apologising for mistakes (not to mention a huge legal bill for any defemation cases!).

and have a Sky Beating channel that even c@t might like

Well they say anythings possible;) Wink

Newer posts