TV Home Forum

BBC News 24

(October 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Well, when I went into the World newsroom, I went from the News 24 set, through the opening of the News 24 studio, right on the very left of the above photo, then turned left, onto the main staircase, and then into a seperate department, called...BBC World!!
DA
Davidjb Founding member
harshy posted:
rts posted:
Ryan posted:
The actual sutuio is smaller than I always imagined it to be, as this picture from the TV Room shows...

http://www.thetvroom.com/images-bbcn24/n24-2001/main-g.jpg

The studio itself is quite small. Its tucked into a corner in Stage 6 and most of the action is happening infront of the studio rather than behind. If you go through the gallery which you can see at the back of the studio and turn left your in the BBC World Newsroom.

It's that close is it, I thought BBC World's studio was on the other side of TVC:?

The reason i'm asking is that I can see the gallery on the right hand side of the set, but if you turn left, then you end up in the background of the N24 set don't you, OK, i'm confused!

Dont be confused. you are right. BBC Worlds studio is not anywhere near the news 24 studio. I believe it is nearer the back of tvc cause when the bomb went off and chris lowe was sat in the world news room talking to a reporter he said 'youre at the front of the building im at the back'. i know its not in the news centre cause the world news studio was used before stage 6 was even built.
MA
Marcus Founding member
Hymagumba posted:
Techy Peep posted:
Most cameras are slightly wide-angle, not by much though.
In N24, only 2 cameras have wide angle lens's - the weather presenters camera and the 2nd presenters camera

why does presenter two get a wide angle lens?

Presenter two's camera is used for the wide opening shot, after the titles. Which is why it has the wide angle lens.
GA
Gareth Founding member
I thought the BBC World studio was in Bush House with the rest of BBC World Service.

Is the news 24 soft area the desk opposite the main one where they read the papers on weekend 24 and does the National news have one?

(Edited by Gareth at 10:21 pm on Nov. 18, 2001)
MA
Marcus Founding member
BBC World is in Stage V of TV Centre, about 30 seconds walk from News24

And the soft set is directly opposite the main set. The term soft set is historical and harks back to the time News24 had sofas on their second set
DA
Davidjb Founding member
Gareth posted:
I thought the BBC World studio was in Bush House with the rest of BBC World Service.

Is the news 24 soft area the desk opposite the main one where they read the papers on weekend 24 and does the National news have one?

(Edited by Gareth at 10:21 pm on Nov. 18, 2001)

the UK Today set is opposite the national news desk.
Dont know whats still at bush house but BBC World news is definatly at tvc.
GA
Gareth Founding member
I haven't seen much of UK Today but I thought the desk and set looked like news 24 is it CSO?
DA
Davidjb Founding member
Gareth posted:
I haven't seen much of UK Today but I thought the desk and set looked like news 24 is it CSO?

yeah it is. The background is roughly a 3 minute loop on tape.
PE
Pete Founding member
I love that second BBC World set they used for the Weekend24 paper review that weekend when they were in a certain studio ending in nine (slap on that hand there pete) and it looked really cool.

When is that used normally if it is used at all?
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Its normally used for special coverage, it was used for Vote 2001 that was exclusive to BBC WORLD, presented by Nik Gowing.

It can also be seen on Sport Today every day, although it doesn't have any signs of the corporate look in it - just bits of the titles on the big screen.

Newer posts