TV Home Forum

UKTV Idents - 16:9

(December 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CN
Chris Neill
For years now, it has annoyed me greatly that UK TV don't show 16:9 productions in their full state, but show them cropped in 14:9.  However, there is hope that someday they might go fully widescreen as their new idents that they created last May were all filmed in widescreen.  Below is an example of a pure 16:9 UK Style ident.

http://194.112.42.217/uploads/images/1923117055.jpg

http://194.112.42.217/uploads/images/1921197055.jpg

Fingers crossed they start broadcasting in the not too distant future!!

(Edited by Chris Neill at 11:40 pm on Dec. 8, 2001)
CR
crazykarluk
A lot of the programmes on UKTV are Widescreen and also the BBC part owns UKTV and the BBC is mainly Widescreen.
AS
Asa Admin
Sorry Chris but it means nothing to be honest.

The old idents were filmed in 16:9 but never shown in that format Sad

Cheers, Asa
CN
Chris Neill
Asa posted:
Sorry Chris but it means nothing to be honest.

The old idents were filmed in 16:9 but never shown in that format Sad

Cheers, Asa

Oh dear, that's a jolly shame, I was hoping that they had woken up and realised that we've moved forward and that they too were trying to go forward, with 16:9 broadcasting. Shame that. They're bound to go widescreen eventually though, aren't they?!!
LI
liam
We live in hope! I think that most channels should get themselves sorted out into 16:9 now, if not just for the pres and the ad's, which have been in 16:9 for a while now, and with channels like UK Gold & Horizons etc. so much of their content is repeats of new(ish) BBC programming then they have even more of an excuse to push forward.

Cheers,
JA
james2001 Founding member
Wouldnt bother me how they do it. The only programems I watch on UK gold are 4:3- EastEnders from 1996, and a few old sitcoms.
BB
BBC912
james2001 posted:
Wouldnt bother me how they do it. The only programems I watch on UK gold are 4:3- EastEnders from 1996, and a few old sitcoms.

Same here James, remember Eastenders in 1996 was 4:3 format and I'm glad their not cropping!
JA
james2001 Founding member
It was 4:3 until 5/9/99. Then they intoroduced new titles (their first computer generated ones, and featuring the millennium dome) but luckily the music stayed.
MA
Martin Founding member
james2001 posted:
It was 4:3 until 5/9/99. Then they intoroduced new titles (their first computer generated ones, and featuring the millennium dome) but luckily the music stayed.

I remember people complained to Points of View that they should show the Millennium Dome on the map so eventually they got their wish.
HA
harshy Founding member
liam posted:
We live in hope!  I think that most channels should get themselves sorted out into 16:9 now, if not just for the pres and the ad's, which have been in 16:9 for a while now, and with channels like UK Gold & Horizons etc. so much of their content is repeats of new(ish) BBC programming then they have even more of an excuse to push forward.

Cheers,

BBC Worldwide are very uninterested at putting widescren out, even though half of their UKTV output is in widescreen, this policy is in stark contrast to the main BBC, who put even their 4:3 output to 14:9 in a 16:9 frame!

Newer posts