TV Home Forum

UTV showing Carlton London

(November 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CY
cyberjef28
UTV on 103 is now showing the Carlton feed :S

People at UTV will go mad if this is a fault at William Road.

Or perhaps they have lost the UTV feed altogether and therefore feel they
have to show something. Carlton is probably made a back-up for any ITV
network that fails on DSAT as it is the most generic, in the same way BBC
London is the back-up to the BBC Nations.

They also seem to be playing with widescreen switching. Broadcasts are
currently in anamorphic widescreen but no 16:9 switch signal is being sent
so its staying in a crushed 4:3 picture

Sad
AN
Andrew Founding member
Yes this discussion is already taking place in the 'ITV1 on EPG' thread:( Sad
CY
cyberjef28
Shocked

http://www.tvhome.f2s.com/ikonboard/upload/103utv-carlton.jpg
MM
MillyMaster
Andrew posted:
Yes this discussion is already taking place in the 'ITV1 on EPG' thread:( Sad

Does it really matter?  I remember Asa saying once the test of ITV1 has launch, people were free to create threads relating to a single or a group of regions.

(Edited by MillyMaster at 8:50 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)
CY
cyberjef28
Just spoke to some people at work, it looks like a problem within our transmission centre at UTV. Sad

Should be fixed before the end of today.
JA
Jason
Please fix it UTV!! Wink

I want my UTV Weekend in-vision continuity fix!!!!

You should let your colleagues know how much it's appreciated outside of NI Smile
CY
cyberjef28
I have already told UTV managers at a strategy meeting about people in England enjoying UTV presentation on Sky Digital.

They had no idea that the channel was free-to-view over the entire UK.

They were very pleased to hear about it though Smile

(Edited by cyberjef28 at 11:26 am on Nov. 23, 2001)
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Aren't the UTV bosses concerned about Ulster viewers choosing Carlton etc over their own 'local' station? You have to wonder if they'll tell their advertising clients...
CY
cyberjef28
Nope, not really. Its just geeks like us who bother to tune in other regions on our digibox.

Most Sky Digital viewers wouldn't bother to tune in other ITV regions. Why would they? Someone living in Belfast doesn't want to know about a cat stuck up a tree in Hull. Razz:
JA
Jason
I shouldn't think so. The numbers involved are so small as to be not worth bothering about. In any case I'd wager that there are more mainland viewers watching UTV than NI viewers watching mainland channels!!!

Anything which reminds the true independent stations how much better their style of presentation is than the pooled, faceless stuff the bigger networks put out, has to be a good thing IMHO.
JA
Jason
cyberjef28 posted:
Nope, not really. Its just geeks like us who bother to tune in other regions on our digibox.

Most Sky Digital viewers wouldn't bother to tune in other ITV regions. Why would they? Someone living in Belfast doesn't want to know about a cat stuck up a tree in Hull. Razz:

That is totally true of course. Likewise they really are not bothered about the few geeks who bother to get large aerials installed in order to get other regions!!

The only time I could see it becoming a problem is if one station decided to put on a long, local programme at the same time as all the other stations are showing a movie blockbuster or sports event. And even then this is very rare nowadays (it used to happen all the time but not anymore; for example TTTV used to be forever showing local programmes then crashing into the snooker coverage half-way through the programme!) and of course it is likely that the 'movie blockbuster' will have already been shown on one of the movie channels in any case.
CY
cyberjef28
jason posted:
Please fix it UTV!! Wink

I want my UTV Weekend in-vision continuity fix!!!!

You should let your colleagues know how much it's appreciated outside of NI Smile

UTV has in vision continuity during the week as well !

Whenever we run watch-to-win competitions we have an announcer giving the details of the competition followed by introducing the programme. It is usually at 19:00 just before emmerdale.

Check out UTV Internet for more details.

Newer posts