TV Home Forum

BBC Parliament

(January 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ED
EDTV
Here's one suggestion for a programme for BBC Parliament:

Why not have a behind the scenes look of what goes on in political life in the UK? eg) During an election campaign, the BBC Parliament camera follows around the candidate for the day or during election night to see how they're dealing with a tough campaign.

It's worth a shot I say.
HA
harshy Founding member
What they should do, is instead of BBC News 24 also showing the same parliament coverage, like they did in the last General Election, they should have let BBC Parliament only cover the General Election coverage, that way BBC News 24 could have then re-directed the viewers to BBC Parliament, giving more viewers to BBC Parliament!

This would have also stopped three BBC channels broadcasting the same party conference coverage as well!
RW
RW
However that would be unfair to DTT viewers as we get the channel sound-only, which makes it particularly difficult to follow!
ST
Stewpot
I often find myself viewing this channel for amusement purposes don't ask me why but amongst many elderly MP's dozing off please look out for Lord Soanes and his hair, Don King got nothing on this hairstyle I can tell you.
GR
thegreenfairy
Frankly I've already posted saying the idea of a 2nd Mux for the BBC would be too hard to implement - but I suppose it couldn't be too hard - provided you divide up the material properly so the text services aren't trying to cross over.

How about...

BBC Mux1

BBC1
BBC2
BBC3
BBC4
BBC Children
[Space left for additional screens, possible alternate programming etc]

BBC Mux2

News24
4xQuarter Screens for News Interactive
BBC Parliament
4xQuarter Screens for choice of programming
[Space left for future new channels]

It might work - but first BBC Parliament would have to have its schedule and remit reorganised so that we weren't left with huge gaps. It could show much more debate and comment, coverage of US politics, the European parliament, Scotland, Wales and NI, The GLA, Public Inquiries, the UN, and political stories that aren't so formal. Possibly they should rename it and change it to a more general politics-based channel? Anything to make it work.
TV
tvmercia Founding member
they could even squeeze on:
the itn news channel and
4 x regional news programmes from neighbouring regions (if it was possible)

renaming bbc parliament to incorperate a wider brief would be good
GR
thegreenfairy
ITN News Channel is
a - rubbish
b - not part of the BBC or even close
c - a competitor to news 24 and so would be silly to include on the same mux
d - probably about to be taken over and rebranded by ITV - so no!

I've just read on digitalspy that the ntl: joint-venture project Classic Sport is back on and to launch - maybe that could take up some of the space -along with FiveLiveTV - whosever idea that was, I quite like it.
TP
Techy Peep Founding member
Quote:
William on 5:28 pm on Jan. 12, 2002
To be fair, its not the BBC's fault our parliament still breaks up for two months to allow for the harvest to be gathered.

Like Teachers who moan they've got a difficult job despite having over 12 weeks leave a year (Summer break, Xmas & all public holidays)

WE'VE ALL GOT DIFFICULT JOBS (except shelf stackers at Tesco's who are miserable f'ers!)

Teachers don't know they're born. Perhaps send them out into the real world, that'll soon shock them!!!
MG
MikeG
Quote:
Techy Peep on 3:21 am on Jan. 13, 2002
Quote:
William on 5:28 pm on Jan. 12, 2002
To be fair, its not the BBC's fault our parliament still breaks up for two months to allow for the harvest to be gathered.

Like Teachers who moan they've got a difficult job despite having over 12 weeks leave a year (Summer break, Xmas & all public holidays)

WE'VE ALL GOT DIFFICULT JOBS (except shelf stackers at Tesco's who are miserable f'ers!)

Teachers don't know they're born. Perhaps send them out into the real world, that'll soon shock them!!!

Oi oi! You can't say teachers don't live in the real world! How would you like to mark hundreds of exam papers per year, assess every child in your care, teach them the specified content in the National Curriculum/GCSE/A Level syllabi (is that the plural?) and then get no real gratitude for it. OK, they do have some long holidays but I can tell you they certainly do not lounge about! And, they only get c £17,000 a year when they start when other people, ie. working in the city - or television for instance - get much more. Who do you think is the more important? TV Presenters/Actors/Journalists or teachers?

Newer posts