TV Home Forum

BBC OFF AIR

30 June 2001 Power Failure (June 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BB
BBC Choice
Well as far as I know, this thread is YET to be relegatd to the second page!! It surely can't go on much longer though .... can it!? Shocked Confused
AS
Asa Admin
I don't want to close this thread...so I won't.

If the people at the Beeb can't tell us what happened, then so be it! We all welcome their input on various topics and I don't think 'go on, tell us' will work Smile It's obviously not meant to be public knowledge what happened, and that's how it'll mostly likely stay.

The thing is the BBC is a public service organisation - we pay for it, we own it so why should we not be told. The BBC has a duty to tell us if we want to know surely.

Haha! A polite way of putting it but the same applies. I would suggest not to post requests in the forum like that regarding this matter - we don't want to scare them off!!!!

Cheers, Asa
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Courtesy of Waveguide:

The BBC's blackout on Saturday night was the result of a fault in the Corporation's backup supply, a spokesman said today.

The 'failsafe' system is designed to keep the BBC on air in times of national emergency, but the spokesman said the blackout was caused by a bug in the system and not an overall power failure.

The system had to be rebooted on Saturday because of a problem, with the circuit breakers, which transfer power between the backup system and the transmission suites.

'Clearly, we do not want this to happen again,' he said.

I think that settles it really, case closed ?
AS
Asa Admin
Ah yes, the official BBC response eh? Smile
MA
Marcus Founding member
Asa posted:
Ah yes, the official BBC response eh? Smile

Probably some overpayed middle manager decided to scale down the back up system on the grounds that it had not been used for years.  The BBC never acknowledges that its managers make mistakes. They still clain John Birt was a sucess despite the face that Greg Dyke has reversed most of what he did.

(Edited by marcus at 7:54 pm on July 4, 2001)
SN
Steve Naylor
Asa posted:
I don't want to close this thread...so I won't.

If the people at the Beeb can't tell us what happened, then so be it! We all welcome their input on various topics and I don't think 'go on, tell us' will work Smile It's obviously not meant to be public knowledge what happened, and that's how it'll mostly likely stay.

The thing is the BBC is a public service organisation - we pay for it, we own it so why should we not be told. The BBC has a duty to tell us if we want to know surely.

Haha! A polite way of putting it but the same applies. I would suggest not to post requests in the forum like that regarding this matter - we don't want to scare them off!!!!

Cheers, Asa

Of course you are right Asa and I wasn't trying to frighten anyone off... apologies to all you BBC insiders and please keep posting! Smile
MA
Marcus Founding member
Apparently there was 10' of nastyness on News24 overnight due to testing of the new power supplys. I guess they don't want the wholething disappearing during the wimbledon final.
SU
SpiringUnhacked
Marcus posted:
Apparently there was 10' of nastyness on News24 overnight due to testing of the new power supplys. I guess they don't want the wholething disappearing during the wimbledon final.
EEK! Shocked This doesn't exist! *posts url in missing threads thread*

Newer posts