Media Websites

TV Ark

(May 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
tvarksouthwest
Further to David M's locked thread in which he declared TV Ark "officially dead", might I just explain the reasons behind any lack of updates. One of our team members is taking time out; another is busy renovating a new house. But TV Ark is definitely NOT dead - there might not be as many additions as normal but I shall continue to add material as it comes to me.

Incidentally, apologies for the continued absence of the ITV South West pages. This is due to draconian new webspace quotas introduced by Totalise; we hope to restore the pages very soon.
Last edited by tvarksouthwest on 1 June 2003 11:52pm
AN
All New Johnnyboy
Love that site. First ever one I went to when I was looking for pres stuff.
Last edited by All New Johnnyboy on 1 July 2003 11:02pm
TV
tvarksouthwest
The originial thread was posted in The Lounge so I am presenting the "official response" here also. Go to bed JB.
:-(
A former member
TV Ark is one of my favourite tv pres sites. I used to like the TV Room, but that has been made to look like a corporate website with endless copied and pasted press releases chucked in, only for people like me with a short attention span to sift through.

The nice thing about TV-A is the simplicity of the layout and the way each page is carefully composed so that the main content isn't undermined by those bloody press releases Mike McGonagle is so fond of putting there, obviously to compensate for a lack of real knowledge and analysis of the content.
A former member
I always check the Ark and TV Room for updates, but they're both extremely useful resources for mocks, so well done! Smile
TV
The TV Room
Jamez posted:
TV Ark is one of my favourite tv pres sites. I used to like the TV Room, but that has been made to look like a corporate website with endless copied and pasted press releases chucked in, only for people like me with a short attention span to sift through.

The nice thing about TV-A is the simplicity of the layout and the way each page is carefully composed so that the main content isn't undermined by those bloody press releases Mike McGonagle is so fond of putting there, obviously to compensate for a lack of real knowledge and analysis of the content.

You tell us that you have a short attention span and then proceed to lay into me for not providing real analysis of content. Rolling Eyes

Excerpts from Press Releases are included on TV Room where I find that they provide useful background information and detail. I make no apologies for this whatsoever. And where exactly do you think other sites glean their information from????? Press Releases are a first class source of real information - as opposed to conjecture and opinion, which many sites seem to indulge in quite heavily.

As far as the main presentation pages on TV Room are concerned...I'm not in the business of expressing my own views and opinions on there...I try to steer clear of that (though I'm sure I've voiced my opinion on one or two pages somewhere). All broadcasters are treated equally.

The main TV Room site is a reference guide, not a soapbox. I don't think too many readers would be terribly interested in reading paragraphs upon paragraphs of my views. I am interested only in facts...not filling pages with 'oh isn't that lovely'...'that's terrible...'what they could have done is'. There are separate features pages for that kind of thing...within TVR+.

Where I have the time, I also try to eliminate all of the 'how great are we' elements from broadcasters' Press Releases...and stick to the facts as far as possible.

I will remind you that TV Room is a hobby site...not a full-time job. With regards content, my priority is to get the visual material online...any backup text takes second place to this. This is unfortunate, yes...but I don't have the time required to provide such a comprehensive service. I invest an enormous amount of time and effort on that site as it is.

The material produced by Simon Harries on TV-Ark...well, that's a level of excellence I can only aspire to.

I'm sorry you feel that TV Room is letting you down. At least you've found solace in a quality site.
TV
The TV Room
Last edited by The TV Room on 2 June 2003 7:01am
A former member
The TV Room posted:

All broadcasters are treated equally.

Oh yes, I don't dispute that. I'm just an old nostalgic - I liked the framed version on TTR. It would be nice if the press releases were put on a seperate page to the images though.

A website that is full of their own opinions and self-rightousness is Transdiffusion. What a load of biased b*llocks that is. Plus it has to be one of the most visually depressing tv pres sites I've seen.
DA
DAS Founding member
Easy tiger.

I may as well take this opportunity (because I don't do it often enough) to congratulate and thank (without being too chessy about it) both Mike for The TV Room and the TV Ark team for creating brilliant sites with so much quality content. Very interesting stuff and nicely presented. So well done.
A former member
DAS posted:
Easy tiger.

I may as well take this opportunity (because I don't do it often enough) to congratulate and thank (without being too chessy about it) both Mike for The TV Room and the TV Ark team for creating brilliant sites with so much quality content. Very interesting stuff and nicely presented. So well done.

I'd like to apologise for my initial response to this thread. I was a bit brash and vindictive.

I know from first-hand experience what it's like to set up and maintain a website with dynamic content such as TV presentation. It's not easy, and it is very time consuming.
IT
ITV Lover
Simon_Luxton posted:
Incidentally, apologies for the continued absence of the ITV South West pages. This is due to draconian new webspace quotas introduced by Totalise; we hope to restore the pages very soon.

I hope they come back soon, I was hoping to bring back some childhood memories of TSW! I also must offer my thanks to The TV Room and TV Ark for two excellent websites.
A former member
im only 12 so i dont no either site. are they good? they sound a bit boring.

Newer posts