TV Home Forum

BBC daytime revamp

BBC confirms ditching Children's programmes from BBC1, BBC2 (May 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Did anybody really watch Blue Peter when they were young?

Yes, never missed it, often best programme of the week !!!

(Born 1963)

I guess it passed its relevance with kids pretty quickly.
JO
Jon

Yes, but the TV Forum audience isn't necessarily the best way of getting a reliable sample of the UK public.
VM
VMPhil

Yes, but the TV Forum audience isn't necessarily the best way of getting a reliable sample of the UK public.

Well it was more of a rhetorical question. I didn't necessarily ask for answers Wink
:-(
A former member
I don't think it.was helped by showing it 20mins eailer and it jist never felt the same. We all knew this was coming,especially when Saturday mornings disappeared.
MA
Markymark

Yes, never missed it, often best programme of the week !!!

(Born 1963)

I guess it passed its relevance with kids pretty quickly.

Dunno, I gave up with it around 1978, because I'd turned into a cynical teenager.

People often deride Thames's Magpie, for being a downmarket copy of Blue Peter.

Copy, well, possibly; downmarket, not really, look at this from 1972:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDCShB7Elqc

Of course it contains the obligatory 'presenters running down a TV centre corridor' No live children's programme from that era would be complete without that !
Last edited by Markymark on 16 May 2012 1:56pm
MD
mdtauk
I only watched it once, and that was when they were building their own Tracy Island.
A former member
Everyone watch it then, miss tuner best bit on tv.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18083178

It seems bbc made other announcements buried with the press release.
VM
VMPhil
From Tony Gardner on Twitter:

I know the BBC aren't going to stop making children's programming but I thought it would be interested to share this point of view from an ex-CITV star whose show ended when ITV cut its children's department.
Last edited by VMPhil on 16 May 2012 3:17pm
A former member
From Tony Gardner on Twitter:

I know the BBC aren't going to stop making children's programming but I thought it would be interested to share this point of view from an ex-CITV star whose show ended when ITV cut its children's department.

Well he speaking crap itv still make children programs, yes it not a lot but there do make some.
OV
Orry Verducci
I would say the difference there is when ITV1 stopped showing CITV in the afternoons, they cut back a lot, reducing the number of shows they made and ditching in vision continuity despite launching the CITV channel. The BBC on the other hand as we know still have in vision continuity and produce a lot of programming for the CBeebies and CBBC digital channels, and it doesn't appear there are any plans to cut back on that, certainly with the investments they've made into childrens programming in Salford.
BU
buster
The question is will it continue once it's lost its presence on the main channel? Out of sight, out of mind and all that...
PA
paul_hadley
It would have more of a chance if they moved it nearer to the front of the EPG on Freeview, but that will probably never happen. Kids channels are a fair way down on Freeview at the moment.

Newer posts