TV Home Forum

BBC daytime revamp

BBC confirms ditching Children's programmes from BBC1, BBC2 (May 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Just seen this on the Media Guardian's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/#!/mediaguardian/status/202707906183954432
Article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/may/16/blue-peter-childrens-shows-bbc1 [EDIT]

I suppose this was bound to happen, end of an era.
Last edited by dbl on 16 May 2012 12:13pm - 3 times in total
MA
Markymark
dbl posted:
Just seen this on the Media Guardian's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/#!/mediaguardian/status/202707906183954432

I suppose this was bound to happen, end of an era.

If there's one sector of the viewing public, that will have no difficulty remembering, and finding CBBC on their EPGs, it's 'da kids !!
JO
Jonny
Well, yes, this was inevitable. What's more interesting is just what are they going to replace 5 hours of CBeebies with on BBC2 every morning?

More BBC4 Daytime? News 24/World News simulcasts?
:-(
A former member
there could bring back the "Sergeant phil show" and more "lets live in the sun but lets get the BBC to found us someshow to live as we have loads of money to spend l"
DB
dbl
On Twitter it seems a lot of people have misread their tweet and have read it as the BBC cancelling Blue Peter. (But mind you, the programme's already in a cutback state as it is)
VM
VMPhil
Did anybody really watch Blue Peter when they were young?

I always saw it as the programme your parents cared about more than you. Although I have to say it was enjoyable to watch during the 1999-2004 era.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
There'll be a lot of outrage from people who don't realise that all the programmes that are the talk of the playground the next day like Sarah Jane Adventures and Horrible Histories already debut on the CBBC channel and get good audiences there, while the slot on BBC One is now mainly repeats for those without digital - even in the case of Blue Peter.

It's a natural step and a better use of resources. Does feel a bit weird for those of us who grew up with the Broom Cupboard though.

Oh, and it goes without saying that some people are already misreporting this as "Blue Peter Axed!"
DB
dbl

I always saw it as the programme your parents cared about more than you. Although I have to say it was enjoyable to watch during the 1999-2004 era.

This^
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes of course, used to watch it every episode.... when I was the appropriate age of course! (although I have been known to watch it since when certain presenters have been on Wink )

Quote:

I suppose it depends what era of the programme you grew up with, it has been better and more relevant for some generations than others. I was a Sarah/Peter/Simon/Janet child and that was a pretty solid time for the programme
IT
itsrobert Founding member

I have to say that on balance, no I didn't. Not as a routine anyway. I dipped in and out somewhere around the 1993-1998 period I think. The same goes for Newsround. To be honest, the programmes I have stronger memories about during my childhood are things like Blockbusters, Going for Gold, Neighbours, Thomas the Tank, Fireman Sam, Postman Pat, Rosie & Jim, Brum, Playschool/Playdays etc. And once we got Sky in 1995 I watched more of Cartoon Network than anything else I think. So, Blue Peter was never really must watch TV for me. It is sad that it's the end of an era, having been on BBC1 for so many years.
BU
buster
While it can't be questioned that the kids can find the new channels, it'll be interesting to see whether they manage to maintain the profile they have now. Although primarily repeats the BBC1 slot has been a good "shop window" for a while now - you're more likely to see if when flicking through channels, same with the overnight News Channel simulcast - and this stops once it's tucked away in the kids' section of the EPG. I think the Trust have acknowledged this in their conclusions by asking it to be marketed well...
MA
Markymark

Yes, never missed it, often best programme of the week !!!

(Born 1963)

Newer posts