The Newsroom

Sky News Arabia

Sky channel 855 (June 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Why canīt Skynews UK do the same? This would be so awesome!

Probably because they base their decisions on whether they feel there is a need for something or not. It doesn't depend on how awesome they look.
ED
edmund
TOTH from 13:00 GMT

Kingdom Center ident
http://skyidents.com/resources/kingdom%20centre%20f.jpg.opt375x205o0,0s375x205.jpg
http://skyidents.com/------kingdom.php

For more visit Sky Idents www.skyidents.com
Last edited by edmund on 7 May 2012 2:26pm
RO
rob Founding member
Comprehensive coverage on TV Live as well.
WW
WW Update

I'm wondering why they use religiously-tinged "Allahu Akbar" as a greeting rather than the more common "As-Salam Alaikum" (especially considering that not all Arabs are Muslim).

Any Arabic speakers here?
JO
Joshua
Quote:
I'm wondering why they use religiously-tinged "Allahu Akbar" as a greeting rather than the more common "As-Salam Alaikum" (especially considering that not all Arabs are Muslim).

Just after the TOTH, the male presenter says 'Al Akhbar', not 'Allah Akbar'. 'Al Akhbar' means 'the news' or 'the headlines'.

From watching some of the coverage, the presenters seem to be using 'Ahlan Bikum' which is just 'Hello' in Arabic, not religious terms.
WW
WW Update
Quote:

Just after the TOTH, the male presenter says 'Al Akhbar', not 'Allah Akbar'. 'Al Akhbar' means 'the news' or 'the headlines'.

From watching some of the coverage, the presenters seem to be using 'Ahlan Bikum' which is just 'Hello' in Arabic, not religious terms.

Ah, that makes sense! (It just goes to show that I shouldn't try to speculate about phrases in languages I don't understand.)
FO
fodg09
Praise in The National for SNA's start, suggesting that the channels calm demeanor and detached attitude in covering political stories might be what sets it apart,
Quote:
The launch of Sky News Arabia represents another milestone in the rapid growth of Arabic media, while the new channel's low-key introduction into the crowded media landscape is a wise one.

Where rivals Al Jazeera and Al Alam made current affairs an entertaining blood sport, the sheer business-as-usual approach emanating from the channel's shiny UAE studios bred an engaging familiarity.

Sky News Arabia's mix of interactive graphics and its welcome detachment pose an interesting proposition to Arab audiences used to news tapping raw nerves or representing certain political or sectarian viewpoints.

It also ushers a hitherto rare kind of owner into the Arabic media landscape: a commercial enterprise in territory that is largely, although not wholly, the domain of national governments and political parties.

Many hope the commercial aspect could herald a news programming approach that is based on viewers' interests rather than a top-down policy imperative.

Quote:
Hence – and as surreal as this sounds – Rupert Murdoch's welcome addition to the Arabic media world. Whether Sky News Arabia is viewed as "different" and "balanced" as its director, Nart Bouran, promises, remains to be seen. But its apparent freedom from a diplomatic and sectarian agenda deserves further viewing.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/sky-news-arabia-is-a-break-from-stations-with-slanted-coverage?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
ST
Ste Founding member
Praise in The National for SNA's start, suggesting that the channels calm demeanor and detached attitude in covering political stories might be what sets it apart,

Although the National is owned by the Abu Dhabi royal family so that praise is not unexpected. Chances are we wont see any reports on issues like the conditions of migrant workers or any other controversial Abu Dhabi related issues!
SK
skyviewer
They have now changed the former breakfiller music to the normal theme music.
SK
skyviewer
What has happened to this little presentation point right beside the newswall where nart bouran presented the launch date. Did they remove it? I havenīt seen them presenting from it since launch day.
NJ
news junkie
What has happened to this little presentation point right beside the newswall where nart bouran presented the launch date. Did they remove it? I havenīt seen them presenting from it since launch day.

It appears to have been removed going by tv-live's coverage. (tv-live.org.uk)
BK
bkman1990

Does anyone notice in the SNA TOTH that it sounds incredibly similar to the one of the SKY News UK TOTH from 2000 to 2004. I couldn't believe it; I don't know it they used recycled theme tunes so well. It is just brilliant.

Here is the one I'm talking about

It is just incredible how they do it.

Newer posts