The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Joshua
The new 'Today Show' open, with a new headline bed at the beginning.

I'm not sure if I like the new graphics, they seem very grey and slightly dull compared to the previous ones, which were very colourful. This new package seems to be an evolution though, with silver and 3D components used, differing from the more 2D design of the last graphics.

9 days later

ST
Steery
I like the mix on the Today show and the set useage (although my impression is based on the 1st hour via iTunes) and the way it intereacts with the viewers (i.e. streetside studio). I've bought a copy of "From Yesterday to Today", charting the 60 years the programme has been airing. I didn't realise that it had been going that long. Maybe the Daybreak team need to get a copy Very Happy

I was impressed by the NBC Studio tour I went on, when in NYC a couple of years ago, especially as I got to see the NBC Nightly News studio. You don't seem to get the same type of access on the BBC tour.

I don't work "in the industry" but have interest in News & Current affairs and the presentaton thereof, so any chance to see behind the scenes is lapped up (sad I know,but I'm easily pleased).
CR
Critique
I think there's a slight improvement in the graphics there. Much prefer the new headline graphics... The old ones (which were, in itself, a new addition to the original package)m looked quite cheap and tacky.

The straps are now finally animated, whereas before you'd get a strap just appear on screen. However, the main straps are still centrally aligned, which looks a bit weird as the graphics go off to the right.
SI
silencedogood
For those of you who have not seen Rock Center, here's an opening. Rome Hartman of BBC World News America serves as Rock Center's Executive Producer. He describes the NBC news magazine as "sophisticated."

32 days later

KM
Kevizz MS
NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams has debuted a new graphics package. A full broadcast can be viewed here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#46549368

http://i.minus.com/ibt28PIphcgto0.png
http://i.minus.com/ibz74gHvfs9B6H.png
HO
House
Nice evolution of the previous package - in the same way TODAY's graphics moved on.

32 days later

HO
House
Is Good Morning America about to end TODAY's 800+ week ratings win?

Katie Couric to guest-host 'Good Morning America'
Quote:
Katie Couric helped start and perpetuate morning television's most epic winning streak. Now she'll try to break it.

ABC announced Thursday that the former "Today" show anchor will be guest host next week on "Good Morning America," the rival wake-up show that has been rising in the ratings.

She will sub for the vacationing Robin Roberts for a week, teaming with George Stephanopoulos.

Couric was co-host of "Today" in December 1995, when the NBC show's streak began. "Today" has won every week in the ratings since then, 850 consecutive and counting, according to the Nielsen company.

Yet frisky "GMA" has been making noise lately. Last week the ABC show was only 137,000 viewers behind "Today" (an average of 4.98 million to 4.84 million), the closest the two shows have been since 2008.

"This has been one of the longest marathons of all time," said Tom Cibrowski, senior executive producer in charge of "Good Morning America." ''There will eventually be a time when the No. 1 spot turns over. We strive every day to take over the No. 1 position. We never stop working on that."

He's not making any predictions about next week, but the curiosity factor of Couric in a new morning chair seems sure to pull in some viewers.

More at the Associated Press.

With Ann Curry taking a lot of heat at the moment, with reports surfacing this week that she's going to move to another position at NBC News (and, according to reports/rumours, Matt may only sign a new contract if she's moved off Today), this will be a very interesting week.

I really like Ann, and actually think Today's fresher with her at the helm, but as things stand I suspect Today would be stronger in ratings if they moved her to a new role and replaced her with someone new. Hoda Kotb was on on Friday (in for Matt), and was actually rather good. Injected a lot of life into it, with or without alcohol. I think Kate Snow could be good (she was good on GMA, at least), Savannah Guthrie gets on well with Matt (and would be the likely candidate) and Meredith would always be welcome back, though I can't see any return being permanent.

Speaking of which, Today are claiming 'A legend returns' 'for one show only', at the start of the same week Katie's on GMA. So that's Meredith guest-hosting Monday morning, then?

The big problem, as I see it, is a lack of chemistry between Matt and Ann. Matt and Savannah get on well; Ann and Willie Geist seem to. Matt and Ann doesn't work. So it'll be interesting to see if they keep Ann off the rest of the week, too.
JO
Joshua
House posted:
With Ann Curry taking a lot of heat at the moment, with reports surfacing this week that she's going to move to another position at NBC News (and, according to reports/rumours, Matt may only sign a new contract if she's moved off Today), this will be a very interesting week.

The big problem, as I see it, is a lack of chemistry between Matt and Ann. Matt and Savannah get on well; Ann and Willie Geist seem to. Matt and Ann doesn't work. So it'll be interesting to see if they keep Ann off the rest of the week, too.

I think its such a shame that Ann hasn't really transitioned well to the co-anchor role. But I do agree, there is some 'life' missing. The humour between herself and Matt seems quite forced, whilst with Katie and even Meredith, it seemed much more natural.
GE
Gareth E
House posted:
Speaking of which, Today are claiming 'A legend returns' 'for one show only', at the start of the same week Katie's on GMA. So that's Meredith guest-hosting Monday morning, then?

You were right . . . it was Meredith: http://allday.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/02/10979328-the-today-legend-who-returned-is

And the 'big announcement' was that Meredith will be covering the Olympics from London for Today this summer, as well as co-hosting NBC's coverage of the opening ceremony with Bob Costas (a role which a certain Kate Couric used to hold).

So, a bit of a double-snub for Ann Curry . . .

And it seems that Sarah Palin will in fact be guest-hosting the Today show on Tuesday, as opposed to just guesting: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/01/showbiz/palin-today-show/index.html

And as for Katie . . . http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/02/katie-couric-gma-morning-wars-today_n_1396137.html

It'll be Couric vs Palin Take Two tomorrow then . . .
CR
Critique
Just watched yesterday's TODAY, and I note that, a) due to the Breaking News they covered the first few top stories themselves, rather than having them done by the Headlines desk, b) mid link, handing back to the studio, after Ann had thrown to the OB, Matt picked it up and said 'I'll take it from here', with Ann picking up the close to the OB Matthew then linked to, and, despite the fact they were sitting together, Ann said 'here's Matt', and they cut the half metre between the pair to him.
Last edited by Critique on 5 April 2012 5:41pm
JA
Jamesypoo
Interesting too that they haven't put Tuesday's full first hour on the website (ie the one with Sarah Palin).
EX
excel99
Sarah Palin only co-hosted the second hour. She did appear to talk about politics in the first hour though

Newer posts