TV Home Forum

BBC 2012 - The Olympic Broadcaster

It's almost all over . . . (November 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
geordieboy
Anyone seen this..?

http://www.obs.es/news/london_progress/london_progress.html
TH
Thinker

Olympic Broadcasting Services posted:
OBS has identified various venue production teams from around the globe to provide the multilateral coverage of certain sports. These teams have been hired based on their expertise in certain sports/events. OBS has held numerous production meetings with the various teams in order to review the possibilities for improvement of the live coverage of the respective sports:

OBS Teams Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo, Modern Pentathlon - Swimming, Basketball, Equestrian, Fencing, Handball, Sailing, Shooting, Beach Volleyball, Wrestling
BBC (United Kingdom) Boxing, Rowing, Canoe/Kayak - Sprint, Tennis, Football
YLE (Finland) Opening/Closing Ceremonies, Athletics-Integrated/Track/Throws
SVT (Sweden) Athletics-Jumps
SBS(Korea) Archery, Taekwondo
Fuji TV (Japan) Judo
TVE(Spain) Canoe/Kayak - Slalom, Triathlon, Aquatics-Swimming Marathon
CCTV (China) Modern Pentathlon, Badminton, Gymnastics, Table Tennis
NOS (the Netherlands) Cycling-Road Race, Time Trial, Athletics-Walks/Marathon
STV (Slovakia) Hockey
ICRT(Cuba) Volleyball
ERT(Greece) Weightlifting
VRT (Belgium) Cycling (BMX, Track, Mountain Bike)

Interesting to see which broadcaster is considered to have the best TV production for which sport. Most of them are straight-forward - BBC for football, SVT/YLE for athletics, NOS/VRT for cycling, CCTV for gymnastics and table tennis. Others are a bit surprising, at least to me. Do the Finns have special knowledge in covering opening and closing ceremonies?
JC
JonathanC
As a heads up, that list is from April 2010. Still interesting, mind.
MA
Markymark

Interesting to see which broadcaster is considered to have the best TV production for which sport. Most of them are straight-forward - BBC for football, SVT/YLE for athletics, NOS/VRT for cycling, CCTV for gymnastics and table tennis. Others are a bit surprising, at least to me. Do the Finns have special knowledge in covering opening and closing ceremonies?

Not that I'm aware of, I think it was Danish Radio that did Bejing ?

It could be that the camera positions, and therefore the OB rig for the ceremony are the same as required for the athletics, so it makes sense to keep the same team for both ?

Assuming YLE are bringing their own trucks, this will be the master vehicle for their coverage:-

http://avoinyle.fi/www/fi/avoin_Yle/YLEssa_nyt/2011.php?we_objectID=311

http://www.live-production.tv/news/sports/yle-debuts-new-ob-vehicle-lahti-ski-games.html
DI
digipal
Pete posted:
Nobody is using the Big Breakfast house then? Sad

I'm sure the house is now privately occupied
OV
Orry Verducci
Seeing as it hasn't been posted yet, here is the Olympic Year of Broadcasting trailer going out on the BBC channels.

WP
WillPS
Pete posted:

At least part of it is available for television - it's appeared in some cooking programme or other not so long ago...
DJ
DJGM

Pete posted:

At least part of it is available for television - it's appeared in some
cooking programme or other not so long ago...

The former Big Breakfast House is indeed privately owned these days. The current owners got it for about 40% less
than the asking price, thanks to a serious arson attack on the property, several months after the very last show.

It has been used for a small number of other television projects since The Big Breakfast ended all the fire damage was
cleared up, and the property was completely renovated. The cooking program in question was made in 2007, shown
on BBC Two, and was called "Neneh and Andi Dish It Up". There was also a short lived reality show that ran for one series (I think it was called "Living With The Enemy" IIRC) made there for BBC Three.

As I recall, the House also featured very briefly in a short scene on "Bad Girls" where a dead girls body was dredged
out of Old For Lock. This was a real "blink and you'll miss it" ... the House was only on screen for about 2 seconds!

For the most part, the former Big Breakfast House is a private family residence. Apparently, the family that own the
property moved into the still intact section facing the canal while the fire damaged sections were being repaired.

Perhaps The One Show could broadcast from there during the duration of the Olympics . . .
CT
CT24
Seeing as it hasn't been posted yet, here is the Olympic Year of Broadcasting trailer going out on the BBC channels.

Thanks for this, I like it. Anyone know what the song used is? I keep hearing it lately on TV shows.
KN
knack
CT24 posted:

Thanks for this, I like it. Anyone know what the song used is? I keep hearing it lately on TV shows.

It is Midnight City by M83. Surprised the Soundhound app on my phone managed to pick that up with the voiceover and sound from the clips!
Last edited by knack on 12 January 2012 10:03pm
BR
Brekkie
I believe The Big Breakfast house has been hired out for the games, though I think for corporate events rather than broadcasting - as frankly it's not got the height to get the shots over Olympic park people would want.

I suspect too it's the spacious garden rather than the house which might appeal to those wanting a venue near the Olympic park.
NG
noggin Founding member

Not that I'm aware of, I think it was Danish Radio that did Bejing ?

It could be that the camera positions, and therefore the OB rig for the ceremony are the same as required for the athletics, so it makes sense to keep the same team for both ?

Assuming YLE are bringing their own trucks, this will be the master vehicle for their coverage:-

http://avoinyle.fi/www/fi/avoin_Yle/YLEssa_nyt/2011.php?we_objectID=311

http://www.live-production.tv/news/sports/yle-debuts-new-ob-vehicle-lahti-ski-games.html

From memory YLE and SVT did all the Birdsnest stuff in Beijing (ceremonies and athletics) - so it's business as usual.

BBC did rowing last time, but with their Wimbledon heritage it makes total sense them also doing the tennis (which they also did in Barcelona in '92)

Interesting that OBS teams are doing the swimming - ISTR that an Aussie broadcaster did it last time. I expect, as in Beijing, SISLive will provide a lot of the 'special' cameras.

Newer posts