The Newsroom

BBC Scotland News Thread

Reporting Scotland and Newsnight Scotland (December 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
news junkie
They use the main studio (studio 3) for breakfast

C, not 3. Studio 3 is a radio studio Smile

They've got a pretty flexible gallery arrangement - the studio floor can be controlled from either Studio C's gallery or the Bulletin Control Room, which can also do a whole bulletin from the newsroom camera. The main bulletins and Newsnight use the main gallery, and the BCR does Breakfast.

On weekday evenings, Studio C runs An La, while the BCR does the 8pm BBC One bulletin from Studio C's floor.

Confused? Try adding Sportscene into the mix Smile

Sorry forgot which way the studios were identified there.

Also, Studio C can act as the Gallery for Studio A as well
GU
Gusan

Dundee's daytime one is a fairly bad shot in the first place: it's a very odd perspective of the Tay Rail Bridge, which looks like it might have been taken from an aircraft, just after takeoff from Dundee airport. Perhaps someone at BBC Scotland thought that it needed to be immortalised as badly as its predecessor was by McGonagall. The nighttime shot (of RRS Discovery) is somewhat better.

The daytime picture is of the Tay Road Bridge and is almost certainly taken from Tayside House, a 16 storey office block which will soon be torn down. I agree the photo's perspective is rather odd, and no doubt perplexing for most viewers.
PE
Pete Founding member
Given that the entire waterfront is in the process of changing shape I doubt we'll see a new one until at least the new ramps are in place for the bridge, otherwise it would just be traffic-cone-tastic

The night time one with Discovery is a much nicer shot.
NT
NorthTonight
Pete posted:
Given that the entire waterfront is in the process of changing shape I doubt we'll see a new one until at least the new ramps are in place for the bridge, otherwise it would just be traffic-cone-tastic

They could at least go for a BBC corporate news look in the background in the meantime.
NJ
news junkie
Pete posted:

They could at least go for a BBC corporate news look in the background in the meantime.

What's a BBC corporate news look for DTLs?
GE
thegeek Founding member
What's a BBC corporate news look for DTLs?

Judging by Glasgow, Newcastle and Salford, a live shot of a river (or canal) with a fancy new bridge in the background.
TC
TonyCurrie
To clarify: Breakfast opts come from Studio C via the BCR; Lunchtime from Studio C via its own gallery; 3pm likewise unless C is in use for Politics in which case it comes from the contribution studio via the BCR. 6pm is Studio C via its own gallery, 8pm is from the green screen in the contribution studio via the BCR (While An La from Stornoway is mixed through the Studio C gallery) and 10.30 is from the contribution studio via the BCR while Studio C does Newsnight Scotland.
GU
Gusan
I notice the camera shot at Breakfast usually shows the "squinty bridge" but they turn the camera round to look the other way up the river sometimes, presumably when the rising sun shines into the camera.
ST
STV Today
To clarify: Breakfast opts come from Studio C via the BCR; Lunchtime from Studio C via its own gallery; 3pm likewise unless C is in use for Politics in which case it comes from the contribution studio via the BCR. 6pm is Studio C via its own gallery, 8pm is from the green screen in the contribution studio via the BCR (While An La from Stornoway is mixed through the Studio C gallery) and 10.30 is from the contribution studio via the BCR while Studio C does Newsnight Scotland.

I always was led to understand An La was broadcast from Inverness and not Stornoway?
GE
thegeek Founding member

I always was led to understand An La was broadcast from Inverness and not Stornoway?

Yup, it Is. The rest of what TC said is correct, though. Smile
GE
thegeek Founding member
Gusan posted:
I notice the camera shot at Breakfast usually shows the "squinty bridge" but they turn the camera round to look the other way up the river sometimes, presumably when the rising sun shines into the camera.
There are two cameras, on the northeast and northwest corners of the building. Sometimes on Reporting Scotland, they'll line them up neatly for a big panorama on the background screens.
TC
TonyCurrie
Gusan posted:
There are two cameras, on the northeast and northwest corners of the building. Sometimes on Reporting Scotland, they'll line them up neatly for a big panorama on the background screens.

Of course AN LA comes from Inverness - don't know where my Stornoway came from!
In the mornings the squintycam does indeed get moved around. It's a fully remote controlled camera on a mast on the roof above the coffee terrace, and some of the BJs like to vary the shots in the morning depending on the light and the weather. Last week when there was a major fire in Robertson Street, the camera was turned to take a live shot of the fire and we were then able to screen a timelapse (compacting nearly four hours of footage into about 45 seconds) of the fire on Rep Scot.

Newer posts