TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KN
knack
JAS84 posted:
Shocked Never expected that to happen. Surely they should split the money across more than one answer? These contestants didn't. "Don't put your eggs in one basket", some say. That's good advice.

It's better to win £25,000 on the last question, than lose £1,000,000 all in one go.

I expect they would have done so if they were not sure they were correct. Would you have split the money if you were 100% sure as these two couples seemed to be? I know I wouldn't.

I suppose it's all about greed, especially if they looked at the question and it seemed relatively easy. Along with the fact that the less they spread their money, the more they could possibly win.

What's greedy about it? Why would you split the money if you know/think you know the answer?
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
It's interesting that there has been a fly in the studio for the past two nights, on this third night a man killed it. Has this act caused a curse on the contestants?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Noooooooooooooooo.
FA
fanoftv
knack posted:
JAS84 posted:
Shocked Never expected that to happen. Surely they should split the money across more than one answer? These contestants didn't. "Don't put your eggs in one basket", some say. That's good advice.

It's better to win £25,000 on the last question, than lose £1,000,000 all in one go.

I expect they would have done so if they were not sure they were correct. Would you have split the money if you were 100% sure as these two couples seemed to be? I know I wouldn't.

I suppose it's all about greed, especially if they looked at the question and it seemed relatively easy. Along with the fact that the less they spread their money, the more they could possibly win.

What's greedy about it? Why would you split the money if you know/think you know the answer?

It's a good point, but maybe the programme makes people convince themselves that it's correct for the chance of the 1 million.
Though for last nights, going with friends with benefits because that's the film timberlake was in around that time of the year, and also going with Arthur Christmas because final destination 5 was out in the summer made sense in some respect, but they were placing the money on educated guesses because they didn't want to lose any.
DA
David
Two fellas on The Million Pound Drop this evening mentioned that they had slept in the same room last night. Assuming that Endemol paid for their lodgings, that seems quite stingy of them. Unless they were a couple of those homosexuals that I have heard so much about.
FA
fanoftv
David posted:
Two fellas on The Million Pound Drop this evening mentioned that they had slept in the same room last night. Assuming that Endemol paid for their lodgings, that seems quite stingy of them. Unless they were a couple of those homosexuals that I have heard so much about.

The first players on Liam & Jono (carried over from the previous night) are father & son, but surely to keep costs down they fund for one room per either double or twin, especially with the amount of contestants that they have to have available as last night proved.

Another channel 4 question. Does anybody know who has been doing continuity on channel 4 tonight? He sounds familiar, but also as though I haven't heard his voice for a long time. Is he a former announcer that re emerged, or have I got my wires crossed?
BE
besty
I've noticed C4 occasionally doing something a wee bit different with their trailers - showing a glimpse of the endboard at the start. I can't quite work out the benefit - we all know it's a trailer, do they think we need reminding of the fact?

I don't understand it either. It certainly doesn't improve their trailers in any way.

Am I right in thinking this is only with trailers for Films rather than regular shows - and it seems to be maybe just the Sunday evening films? Maybe because they are on at odd-ish times?
AB
ashley b Founding member
besty posted:
Am I right in thinking this is only with trailers for Films rather than regular shows - and it seems to be maybe just the Sunday evening films? Maybe because they are on at odd-ish times?

No. Currently they're doing it with the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding Christmas Special and Black Mirror and I've seen it used on various other shows. Doesn't seem to be limited to any particular type of programming.
Last edited by ashley b on 8 December 2011 11:02pm
BE
besty
Ah yes, just seen it for the second episode of Black Mirror as well, so ignore me! Laughing
WP
WillPS
Sorry for sounding stupid, but does anybody have a link to the "sofa" and "old man" idents?
:-(
A former member
Sorry for sounding stupid, but does anybody have a link to the "sofa" and "old man" idents?

Why was the drunk old man ident never used?

WP
WillPS
All I can think of watching that is the "telekenesis" episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
AB
ashley b Founding member
And the sofa ident:

Newer posts