TV Home Forum

Great TV Themes of the Past, Present and Remixes

(November 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
Howards Way is also one of my all-time favourites. It's of course from back in the day when broadcasters weren't afraid to do full length title/credit sequences, allowing you to enjoy more of the full orchestral score.

These days everything seems to be squashed down to about 20 seconds, and with voiceovers and ECPs, you're lucky to even hear much of the theme tune. Confused
Last edited by Stuart on 5 November 2011 8:50pm
BA
baa
Been some time since we had our last old fart's thread decrying the downfall of society through the evils of ECPs and "these days" everywhere as if their advanced years decided to make an early visit. So far I've learned some of you happen to have a penchant for very cheesy 80's synthpop. This saddens me and I hope you can find it in yourself not to commit further sins.
VM
VMPhil
baa posted:
Been some time since we had our last old fart's thread decrying the downfall of society through the evils of ECPs and "these days" everywhere as if their advanced years decided to make an early visit. So far I've learned some of you happen to have a penchant for very cheesy 80's synthpop. This saddens me and I hope you can find it in yourself not to commit further sins.

I think maybe you should stop there, this is just supposed to be a fun thread about theme tunes. It may be cheesy, but that's what most of the 80s sounded like and some of the best theme tunes emerged from the 80s, e.g. EastEnders from right smack bang in the middle of the decade, 1985, and that wasn't "cheesy synthpop".
PT
Put The Telly On
I'm pleased this thread's come up...

There's some hidden gems I've dug out on this Spotify playlist (if anyone still has it) Wink
BA
baa
I think maybe you should stop there, this is just supposed to be a fun thread about theme tunes. It may be cheesy, but that's what most of the 80s sounded like and some of the best theme tunes emerged from the 80s, e.g. EastEnders from right smack bang in the middle of the decade, 1985, and that wasn't "cheesy synthpop".

It's just a fun thread and also my post was just a joke, don't fret over nothing.
ST
Stuart
baa posted:
Been some time since we had our last old fart's thread decrying the downfall of society through the evils of ECPs and "these days" everywhere as if their advanced years decided to make an early visit.

Hyperbole, much!

If you aren't interested in a light-hearted nostalgic thread, then why read it; more to the point, why comment in it?

Baa . . . humbug!
VM
VMPhil
Baa ... ck on topic!

My favourite ITN theme, besides News at Ten 1992.

WP
WillPS
Most of Gerry Anderson's stuff had excellent themes, but UFO is an absolute masterpiece (with the added bonus of being a tour of ATV Elstree!):

Also, the 9 o'clock:
BA
baa
Baa . . . humbug!

Baa ... ck on topic!

Oh stop, you're both pretty.

Anyway, enough from me, you have a pleasant lighthearted (as long as it pertains to collective appreciation) thread you lot.
VM
VMPhil
baa posted:
Baa . . . humbug!

Baa ... ck on topic!

Oh stop, you're both pretty.

Razz Just making fun of Stuart's making fun of your username.
BA
baa
Yes and I love you both, ta now.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Two other classic ITN news themes:

They don't make themes like those anymore Sad

Newer posts