TV Home Forum

Waterloo Road on the move

Staff move to Scotland (August 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MK
Mr Kite
[quote="Jon Wells" pid="720134"]
I'm fed up of the BBC robbing certain areas of the UK of production just to move stuff too it's it's symbolic triangle of regionalness of Salford, Glasgow and Cardiff.

It's really has gone beyond a joke now.

Yep. Running down Birmingham & Bristol by beefing up Manchester (the Beeb can't get enough of Manchester for some reason) and the 'nations' for purely political reasons rather than practical, cannot be the best way to spend licence payers' money.

Could be worse for Birmingham though. It could be Liverpool - a complete nowhere place of nothingness in the BBC's conciousness despite being one of the larger cities in the UK. We're lucky that we've been considered worthy of a local radio station, quite frankly and I bet that'll be wound down in years to come. Rolling Eyes
CH
chris
I couldn't believe this story when I read it. They surely can't go along with the story of a bunch of teachers and pupils all moving to Scotland together? It's madness.
MW
Mike W

Could be worse for Birmingham though. It could be Liverpool - a complete nowhere place of nothingness in the BBC's conciousness despite being one of the larger cities in the UK. We're lucky that we've been considered worthy of a local radio station, quite frankly and I bet that'll be wound down in years to come. Rolling Eyes

Indeed, the last internal BBC programme made there was actually not made by BBC North West/Manchester at all, but BBC Birmingham (Merseybeat)
CH
chris

Indeed, the last internal BBC programme made there was actually not made by BBC North West/Manchester at all, but BBC Birmingham (Merseybeat)

A very under-represented city indeed!!

Back to Waterloo Road, are they also forgetting that Scotland has a different education system to the majority of the country? Surely that will also alienate many fans? I've really enjoyed Waterloo Road over the years and unfortunately I can see Series 8 being the last.
DF
DrewF
It's a similar situation here in Sheffield. Although not as big as Liverpool we don't even get a place on the UK weather map despite the fact that there's a big gap where it should be - yet we still see Nottingham, Norwich, even places like Yeovil sometimes which are much smaller.

Not too often we see Sheffield stories on Look North Leeds either - although better than it was in the past.

(excuse my off-topic tangent Wink )
MW
Mike W
Tim Key is Series Producer.

He was the series producer of The Bill in its last year. He rapidly changed the format and flow of the show, it was a massive change.

Pattern?
DJ
DJ Dave
and Itv axed it Laughing
LI
littlesmegger
chris posted:
I couldn't believe this story when I read it. They surely can't go along with the story of a bunch of teachers and pupils all moving to Scotland together? It's madness.

Well the school has been threatened for closure in the plot for a while now, it might just finally happen. Have a number of the staff relocate to a new school in Scotland with a new headmaster [seeing she's leaving soon] and start with a semi-new cast like Skins do. Most of the big characters student wise will be old enough to leave soon anyway.

As for locations being robbed, it's not just the BBC, this could reopen the can of worms that is ITV regions. Places like Yorkshire didn't HAVE to be shut down, and as a result successful shows like The Royal had to finish abruptly on cliffhanger episodes that had two years to be edited into a decent resolution. Rolling Eyes

46 days later

HB
hbk48942
28 year old Roxanne Pallett who played Jo Sugden in Emmerdale and also appeared on Dancing on Ice is to join the series.

She will play a pupil 11 years younger than her real life age.
RM
Roger Mellie
Quote:
I have to agree, BBC seems to be being a joke for scotland

Why cant there start proper NEW drama from scratch? l

Maybe BBC could take Taggart off ITV's hands, since the latter aren't interested in it anymore.
JA
JAS84
chris posted:

Back to Waterloo Road, are they also forgetting that Scotland has a different education system to the majority of the country? Surely that will also alienate many fans? I've really enjoyed Waterloo Road over the years and unfortunately I can see Series 8 being the last.
Good point, they don't do GCSEs and A-Levels. If it's set in Scotland and they still refer to GCSEs, it'd be a Critical Research Failure.
:-(
A former member
JAS84 posted:
chris posted:

Good point, they don't do GCSEs and A-Levels. If it's set in Scotland and they still refer to GCSEs, it'd be a Critical Research Failure.

We have, "Higher Still"

* Standard Grades,
* Intermediate 1,
* Intermediate 2
* Higher
* Advance Higher

Newer posts