The Newsroom

London/UK Riots Coverage (Sky News/BBC News Channel)

News Teams/Satellite Trucks were attacked. (August 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Media blackout anyone?

Was just thinking that myself, seems to be no live reports at all coming from Sky or BBC, Journo's on Twitter have gotten awfully quiet as well.

Not quite - the first live coverage for some time finally emerged at midnight. Sky News had their correspondent live on camera in Enfield town centre from the TOTH; from 0010 to 0015 on BBC News, there was a live phone interview with local Enfield community figure Ben Maloney, who had witnessed some of the clashes in the area, and clarified that the situation appeared to be far from over. BBC News also used some of the photos that Maloney had tweeted.

LBC are reporting unrest in various parts of the City, Enfield and other zones - if there was a blackout I would have assumed they would have obliged.
WO
Worzel
LBC are talking about the TV News channels ignoring the unrest.

My thinking is that a DA Notice may have been served to the UK TV news broadcasters about the unrest situations, would be the logical explanation to the non-existent TV coverage.
DV
dvboy
@JonathanHaynes
Jonathan Haynes, Web news editor, the Guardian.
"Oh one last thing, suggestion of a "D notice" stopping broadcasters covering it are untrue. Getting cameras to right places tricky though"

@metpoliceuk
Metropolitan Police
"Police have not requested a #mediablackout and are continuing to provide updates"
MA
Magoo

My thinking is that a DA Notice may have been served to the UK TV news broadcasters about the unrest situations, would be the logical explanation to the non-existent TV coverage.

My assumption would be that it's proving a challenge logistically and security-wise to cover and verify the latest reports on Twitter.
WO
Worzel
Magoo posted:

My assumption would be that it's proving a challenge logistically and security-wise to cover and verify the latest reports on Twitter.

Thing is though, its been going on for well over two hours and we still haven't seen any 'recorded earlier' VT or Pics from the journo's on the ground.
PE
Pete19
Magoo posted:

These people cover warzones on a daily basis, yet cant cover a riot on there door step!
WO
Worzel
LBC have just reported that BBC staff have been advised to stay away from Westfield.
WO
Worzel
Sky News now live on the ground in Brixton.
GE
thegeek Founding member
LBC have just reported that BBC staff have been advised to stay away from Westfield.
the shops shut at 6pm on a Sunday anyway! Smile

Apparently there was a fairly high police presence (and White City station was closed for a while to prevent people turning up) but ye olde weather camera was pointed at it to confirm nothing was going down.

Last night's disturbances did seem to be popping up in pockets all over the place. While a few journalists (Paul Lewis from the Guardian, notably) were doing a good job of sending live updates, it's a lot easier for them to report inconspicuously. If you send a camera out, you've got to have some way of getting the footage back - which is either a 45 minute drive from Enfield back to TV Centre, or a sat truck. And a sat truck needs a crew, and maybe there's not one rostered to be on overnight on a Sunday. (Maybe there was one but they felt it wasn't safe to go out, in light of what happened on Saturday)

I'm not excusing it, I'm just pointing out that our news channels aren't geared up for big stories - even ones in their own back doors - when they happen late at night at the weekend.
TA
taffyboyo
When are we going to stop messing about with these people?................if it happened anywhere else they would have had baton rounds, water cannon and tear gasit's time we stopped being soft
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
When are we going to stop messing about with these people?................if it happened anywhere else they would have had baton rounds, water cannon and tear gasit's time we stopped being soft

Whilst many might agree with you, that's not really what TV Forum is for. Its to discuss the presentation of news items, rather than opinions on the stories themselves.

I imagine there are plenty of sites that encourage such discussion.
WW
WW Update

Doing something like that would constitute a horrible assault on the right to free speech. Trying to censor electronic media coverage of riots is something DeGaulle did in 1968 -- and it severely damaged the reputation of France as a democratic country at that time. Unless national security itself is under threat (and it's not in this case of these riots), I seriously doubt that any EU country would resort to such censorship nowadays.
Last edited by WW Update on 8 August 2011 12:04pm

Newer posts