The Newsroom

NUJ BBC Strikes

Strike TODAY (July 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
House posted:
juice posted:

Technical staff are all Bectu members, which includes gallery, directors, producers etc etc... easy night for those!

In BBC News gallery producers are most likely to be NUJ if members of a union.

Producers aren't deemed 'technical' and in a newsroom they're usually described as 'production journalists' and will be NUJ members if they are members of a union.

In newsgathering it gets a bit more blurred - and at the end of the day you chose which union you think is most relevant to your job in some situations.

That's what I always thought was the case. I remember talk during the last strike that its all very well having the Gallery staff in, but if there's no one to direct them (i.e. A Director)... that's when the problems occur.

But Noggin's talking about producers, not directors. Directors would be production staff, producers journalists (surely?). I thought the problem was you had all the people necessary to put out a bulletin, just no content as the content makers (journalists) were striking?

Intriguing that we've already had a few-day-old Ian Pannell report this hour, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting also that they have a guest in Singapore.

Sorry, yes you are right - its my tired eyes getting wires crossed, time for sleep. I'm sure I'll be awoken by Charlie Stayt in the morning. Wink
HO
House
I for one am delighted to see Saranjit presenting. She's a real professional. And we should see her more often.

Agreed - always very impressive. Nice that she's on Newsday these days (twice a fortnight?).

Out of interest, would there be financial incentives for freelancers (the Chris Rogers, Gavin Grey's..) to appear on these bulletins, or simply usual shift rates?
WO
Worzel
House posted:
I for one am delighted to see Saranjit presenting. She's a real professional. And we should see her more often.

Agreed - always very impressive. Nice that she's on Newsday these days (twice a fortnight?).

Out of interest, would there be financial incentives for freelancers (the Chris Rogers, Gavin Grey's..) to appear on these bulletins, or simply usual shift rates?

I'm pretty sure it would be a standard shift rate, whatever that is these days.
JU
juice
House posted:

Standard pay rates, as far as output is concerned, no difference.

There would clearly be more cash for covering the national bulletins, but nothing more than standard.... however, it is a great CV boosting opportunity!
HO
House
I'm pretty sure it would be a standard shift rate, whatever that is these days.

juice posted:

There would clearly be more cash for covering the national bulletins, but nothing more than standard.... however, it is a great CV boosting opportunity!

That's what I'd imagined. I was just trying to establish what the benefits would be for a freelancer who received regular BBC work. Chris Rogers' appearances on the BBC News Channel are fairly regular these days, so it surprises me he'd work on non-standard shifts.
WO
Worzel
Panorama being shown now on the back half of the 1am hour.
BP
Bob Paisley
juice posted:
House posted:

Does it really do them much good though? Apart from incurring the passive-aggressive wrath of their colleagues for 'scabbing' - has anyone really benefited career-wise for crossing a picket-line? I mean, has Gavin Grey been on our screens much since he made a brief appearance doing Breakfast last time? Or Susan Osman?
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Looks like World Business Report is a casualty of the strikes - we've got Click instead.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Martine Dennis is here on World as usual, and all appears to be normalish, except there's no biz anchor in the studio. Martine appears to be doing the Biz as well, although now joined by Mariko Oi from Singapore. Are we sure there's a strike on?
JW
JamesWorldNews
And Martine was then joined by a newspaper reviewer ( prerecorded). This also went off fine, although Martine did it on her own. And then she was joined by Amelia Harris for the sports. Again, all normal.

Bottom of the hour, and shes back with the usual headline recap. But no WBR or Sport Today thereafter. Were getting Horizons instead.

Martine is still using the term " BBC World News", so I guess this is not being simulcast on Breakfast or The News Channel?
CH
chris_rgu
Gavin Grey is presenting breakfast again from N6. Sam Washington is presenting the business as usual.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Adnan Nawaz now on World doing the sports. Lots of filler studio chat this morning between him and Martine.

Newer posts