The Newsroom

NUJ BBC Strikes

Strike TODAY (July 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HO
House
juice posted:
[quote:0968258153="noggin" pid="714622"][quote:0968258153="Worzel" pid="714621"]
I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?[/quote:0968258153]

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.[/quote:0968258153]

Technical staff are all Bectu members, which includes gallery, directors, producers etc etc... easy night for those!

I have word that it's Chris Rogers, who isn't in dispute that will head the main network bulletins (1, 6, and 10).

And yet Chris isn't used on the late bulletins on weekends when, say Tim Willcox will come in to present the National Simulcast, when Chris is the Duty News channel presenter on air. Beggars belief!

Not really. If anyone more senior could do it they would. But they can't. The fact Chris has appeared on national bulletins a couple of times isn't reason to think he should appear more frequently. I'm sure there are plenty of regional reporters who could give the nationals a good shot on a day like this, but that isn't reason to use them instead of more senior and experienced presenters.

juice posted:

I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.

Technical staff are all Bectu members, which includes gallery, directors, producers etc etc... easy night for those!

I have word that it's Chris Rogers, who isn't in dispute that will head the main network bulletins (1, 6, and 10).

Could you expand on 'producers'? Surely that'd be more journalism than presentation?

Who's that on overnights? Most certainly not Kasia Madera...

EDIT: Sharanjit Leyl, from Singapore.
WO
Worzel
And the simulcast is coming from.... Singapore.
HO
House

I wonder if that would be less likely pre-Newsday? Back when Sharanjit/ Rico would have been solely on Asia business, not overnight news. You could argue it's part of their usual shifts, now.
JU
juice
House posted:
juice posted:
[quote:0968258153="noggin" pid="714622"][quote:0968258153="Worzel" pid="714621"]
I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?[/quote:0968258153]

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.[/quote:0968258153]

And yet Chris isn't used on the late bulletins on weekends when, say Tim Willcox will come in to present the National Simulcast, when Chris is the Duty News channel presenter on air. Beggars belief!

Not really. If anyone more senior could do it they would. But they can't. The fact Chris has appeared on national bulletins a couple of times isn't reason to think he should appear more frequently. I'm sure there are plenty of regional reporters who could give the nationals a good shot on a day like this, but that isn't reason to use them instead of more senior and experienced presenters.

juice posted:

I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.

Could you expand on 'producers'? Surely that'd be more journalism than presentation?

Who's that on overnights? Most certainly not Kasia Madera...

EDIT: Sharanjit Leyl, from Singapore.

It depends on the job role, a studio producer, which almost all BBC News producers are, would be BECTU.

However, it really is down to the individual, if they see themselves as journalists, they would be in NUJ, but if they see themselves as technical it'd be BECTU.

It's down to the individual.
NG
noggin Founding member
juice posted:

In BBC News gallery producers are most likely to be NUJ if members of a union.

Producers aren't deemed 'technical' and in a newsroom they're usually described as 'production journalists' and will be NUJ members if they are members of a union.

In newsgathering it gets a bit more blurred - and at the end of the day you chose which union you think is most relevant to your job in some situations.
WO
Worzel
House posted:

I wonder if that would be less likely pre-Newsday? Back when Sharanjit/ Rico would have been solely on Asia business, not overnight news. You could argue it's part of their usual shifts, now.

It's an interesting thought. I wonder if its being scripted in Singapore or London are sending them the scripting content.

I suppose it gives the News channel/World News time to get themselves ready for the simulcast tomorrow and pull the resources together.
NG
noggin Founding member
House posted:

It's an interesting thought. I wonder if its being scripted in Singapore or London are sending them the scripting content.

I suppose it gives the News channel/World News time to get themselves ready for the simulcast tomorrow and pull the resources together.

I suspect the presenter is seated in Singapore, but the content ( VT, graphics etc.) is coming via a gallery in London. Not a problem for the gallery technical/directing operation, but they will need production journalists to build the running orders and keep the bulletin on time (and accommodate ad breaks/opts if on World)
WO
Worzel
juice posted:

Producers aren't deemed 'technical' and in a newsroom they're usually described as 'production journalists' and will be NUJ members if they are members of a union.

In newsgathering it gets a bit more blurred - and at the end of the day you chose which union you think is most relevant to your job in some situations.

That's what I always thought was the case. I remember talk during the last strike that its all very well having the Gallery staff in, but if there's no one to direct them (i.e. A Director)... that's when the problems occur.
NG
noggin Founding member
juice posted:

That's what I always thought was the case. I remember talk during the last strike that its all very well having the Gallery staff in, but if there's no one to direct them... that's when the problems occur.

It's more a case of if there is no-one there to produce them. A director can only direct a bulletin if someone produces it.
TC
TonyCurrie
I for one am delighted to see Saranjit presenting. She's a real professional. And we should see her more often.
JU
juice
House posted:

I suspect the presenter is seated in Singapore, but the content (VT, graphics etc.) is coming via a gallery in London. Not a problem for the gallery technical/directing operation, but they will need production journalists to build the running orders and keep the bulletin on time (and accommodate ad breaks/opts if on World)

NC/World are now combined until at least 06:30.

In Singapore, the Autocue is fed by fibre as is all the feeds into and from there, all the rest is done by the NC gallery in London as is normal practice. The gallery is staffed as normal. The big problem isn't technical, It's on-screen assets hence the pre-rec bully in the 01:00GMT hour and the likihood of seeing hardtalk and click through the night.
HO
House
juice posted:

That's what I always thought was the case. I remember talk during the last strike that its all very well having the Gallery staff in, but if there's no one to direct them (i.e. A Director)... that's when the problems occur.

But Noggin's talking about producers, not directors. Directors would be production staff, producers journalists (surely?). I thought the problem was you had all the people necessary to put out a bulletin, just no content as the content makers (journalists) were striking?

Intriguing that we've already had a few-day-old Ian Pannell report this hour, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting also that they have a guest in Singapore.

Newer posts