The Newsroom

NUJ BBC Strikes

Strike TODAY (July 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HO
House
DrewF posted:
Newsnight is scheduled to go ahead too. Perhaps the BBC are hoping the strike won't go ahead, or maybe the BBC are being idiotic.

They did the same last time - everything was scheduled as normal.

Are you sure Newsnight wasn't cancelled last time? I think it was, but I could be remembering badly.

It was - but it wasn't until a few hours before (IIRC) that it was actually pulled from schedules.

Why would the NC display the wrong time? Surely it can't be hard for the production crew (those in charge of graphics, who are continuing as usual) to update the clock on time. Can't imagine they have much else to do this hour.

It'll be interesting to see if we get Newsday or a generic BBC News bulletin.
WO
Worzel
House posted:

Why would the NC display the wrong time? Surely it can't be hard for the production crew (those in charge of graphics, who are continuing as usual) to update the clock on time. Can't imagine they have much else to do this hour.

Maybe they had no one to tell them to do it Wink Lack of direction I don't know. Laughing

I believe it was just a recording off air that's being shown, not a clean feed that was taken. Hence why the clock said 11pm. They hadn't overlaid the current DOG for some obsure reason.
WO
Worzel
So I would assume Breakfast, the BBC News at One, Six and Ten will come from N6.

Sweepstake on who we'll get on the national bulletins? Any ideas?
HO
House
House posted:

Maybe they had no one to tell them to do it Wink Lack of direction I don't know. Laughing

I believe it was just a recording off air that's being shown, not a clean feed that was taken. Hence why the clock said 11pm. They hadn't overlaid the current DOG for some obsure reason.

Wouldn't directors be under BECTU though, and presumably be the ones to give such orders? At least this time round they've remembered to add 'Recorded' to the top-left hand corner. I seem to remember they forgot last time round.

As for presenters, I suspect speculation is a bit pointless as even the Beeb would probably struggle. But my money's on Adam Parsons, nonetheless.
NG
noggin Founding member
Pity the "Recorded" aston obscures the "Pictures from Sky Sports" etc. astons burned into the recorded sport bulletin being repeated...

Most directors and studio crew will be members of BECTU if they are in a union, and BECTU isn't on strike and BECTU staff would be expected to turn up for work as usual. However they shouldn't be asked (and have every right to refuse) to do work that wouldn't normally fit into their roles.

Always interesting to see which presenters are happy (or if not happy - prepared) to cross an NUJ picket line.
WO
Worzel
House posted:
House posted:

Wouldn't directors be under BECTU though, and presumably be the ones to give such orders? At least this time round they've remembered to add 'Recorded' to the top-left hand corner. I seem to remember they forgot last time round.

As for presenters, I suspect speculation is a bit pointless as even the Beeb would probably struggle. But my money's on Adam Parsons, nonetheless.

I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the gallery staff were under BECTU?
NG
noggin Founding member

I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.
WO
Worzel

I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.

Thanks for clearing that up. Smile

I wonder if we'll ever see BECTU and NUJ staff go on strike together again (like back in 2004 I believe).
WO
Worzel
The Mail has said Newsnight will be a casualty of today's strike action at BBC News...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014871/BBC-news-services-face-disruption-staff-walk-job-cuts.html
HO
House
Confirmed that Newsnight will be a casualty of today's strike action at BBC News...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014871/BBC-news-services-face-disruption-staff-walk-job-cuts.html

Since when did anyone on this forum class a Mail article as confirmation? Confused

Edit: Especially when even the Mail uses phrases like 'are understood to be among the casualties'.
JU
juice
[quote:0968258153="noggin" pid="714622"][quote:0968258153="Worzel" pid="714621"]
I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?[/quote:0968258153]

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.[/quote:0968258153]

Technical staff are all Bectu members, which includes gallery, directors, producers etc etc... easy night for those!

I have word that it's Chris Rogers, who isn't in dispute that will head the main network bulletins (1, 6, and 10).
WO
Worzel
juice posted:
[quote:0968258153="noggin" pid="714622"][quote:0968258153="Worzel" pid="714621"]
I was under the impression that the Directors were under NUJ and the actually gallery staff were under BECTU?[/quote:0968258153]

No - directors in BBC News are likely to be members of BECTU if they are in a union.[/quote:0968258153]

Technical staff are all Bectu members, which includes gallery, directors, producers etc etc... easy night for those!

I have word that it's Chris Rogers, who isn't in dispute that will head the main network bulletins (1, 6, and 10).

And yet Chris isn't used on the late bulletins on weekends when, say Tim Willcox will come in to present the National Simulcast, when Chris is the Duty News channel presenter on air. Beggars belief!

Newer posts