TV Home Forum

Discovery HD

(July 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Since when did Discovery HD stop broadcasting its own HD-only schedule (like BBC HD) and become a simulcast of normal Discovery?
RE
remlap
Friday.
VM
VMPhil
Friday.

Any reason why?
MI
Michael
Friday.

Any reason why?

See Sky Sports HD / SD.
VM
VMPhil
Friday.

Any reason why?

See Sky Sports HD / SD.

What about them? All four Sky Sports channels now have their own equivalent in HD, but the Discovery channels don't.
NG
noggin Founding member
Friday.

Any reason why?

Presumably the percentage of HD content on the regular channel schedule means that it now makese sense to simulcast rather than operate a separate HD-only scheduled channel?
OV
Orry Verducci
Also they've taken advantage of Sky's HD channel swapping to move Discovery HD higher up the guide to Discovery's channel number, which I imagine was a key influence on the decision.
MI
Michael
Presumably the percentage of HD content on the regular channel schedule means that it now makese sense to simulcast rather than operate a separate HD-only scheduled channel?

This.

Which is exactly how Sky Sports' HD channels evolved.
VM
VMPhil
I tuned in the other day and the first few hours of programming was all in SD, that's why I was annoyed as I thought HD MythBusters was on (the older ones aren't as good and the you can usually tell if a newer one is one if its on HD).

Newer posts