The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HO
House
Meredith Vieira leaving TODAY

Quote:
After nearly five years as co-anchor of TODAY, Meredith Vieira has decided to leave the show in June. Ann Curry will take her place as co-anchor of America�s No. 1 morning show alongside Matt Lauer. Meredith will continue in a new role at NBC News, with an official announcement in the coming months.

TODAY�s current third hour co-host, Natalie Morales, has been named news anchor, and NBC News White House correspondent and msnbc anchor Savannah Guthrie will be co-host of the third hour of TODAY. The new anchor team will debut in June.

�This is a difficult day for me,� Meredith said in an emotional announcement on TODAY Monday. �I�m going to try to hold myself together here. But after months of personal reflection and private conversations between my family and my friends, I've decided to leave TODAY in June.

�I�ve really had a great time, but time is one of those weird things you can never get enough of it,� she said. �And it just keeps ticking away and I know that I want to spend more of mine with my husband, Richard, and my kids Ben, Gabe and Lily.�

More at MSNBC.com
Last edited by House on 8 September 2020 8:39pm - 26 times in total

30 days later

HO
House
Meredith Vieira has started her final TODAY. The first hour (minus commercials and local news) is available to stream or download on iTunes.

25 days later

TV
tvworld
Since Meredith left today it seems Good Morning America seem to be catching Today up, leaving the margin close, as seen here http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/16/%E2%80%9Cgood-morning-america%E2%80%9D-posts-smallest-total-viewer-margin-with-nbc%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Ctoday%E2%80%9D-in-4-years-season-to-date/95801/

Ann doesn't seem as relaxed as Meredith Viera did
HO
House
Since Meredith left today it seems Good Morning America seem to be catching Today up, leaving the margin close, as seen here http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/16/%E2%80%9Cgood-morning-america%E2%80%9D-posts-smallest-total-viewer-margin-with-nbc%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Ctoday%E2%80%9D-in-4-years-season-to-date/95801/

Though GMA was promoting higher ratings in the weeks leading up to her departure too. I actually think Ann's doing fine - absolutely no problems at the anchor desk or with Matt - but I just can't warm to Natalie Morales at the news desk. Savannah Guthrie is much better and has much better chemistry with Matt, Ann and Al.

I wonder what The Early Show are going to do. Surely they must do something?
MW
Mike W
House posted:

Though GMA was promoting higher ratings in the weeks leading up to her departure too. I actually think Ann's doing fine - absolutely no problems at the anchor desk or with Matt - but I just can't warm to Natalie Morales at the news desk. Savannah Guthrie is much better and has much better chemistry with Matt, Ann and Al.

I wonder what The Early Show are going to do. Surely they must do something?

With Bob Peterson still doing the graphics, the Early Show should expect 3rd.

'At least they're not Daybreak' (If you've seen Morning Glory...)
TV
tvworld
I don't mind Natalie, wonder how she copes anchoring the show. I watch the early show the other day, I must day it's going down the ITV Daybreak road
HO
House
I don't mind Natalie, wonder how she copes anchoring the show. I watch the early show the other day, I must day it's going down the ITV Daybreak road

Natalie's fine both at the news desk and the anchor desk, but doesn't have the same bond or chemistry with the others Ann had before. And while she's new to the post, she's covered the news desk so many times now I doubt the chemistry will 'settle in'. Amy Robach (Saturdays) suffers the same problem.

And Natalie's been at the anchor desk plenty of times too and again works fine there, but everything becomes more static and formal. She might be better with other presenters, though, like Willie Geist (MSNBC) or Carl Quintanilla (CNBC) who fill in on occasion for Matt. Both those names have been mentioned as possible Lauer replacements. Curiously Willie Geist in particular has really grown on me.

'At least they're not Daybreak' (If you've seen Morning Glory ...)

One for the Lovefilm list...
TV
tvworld
If Matt leaves in September when his contract ends, who will replace him? I guess Willie Geist
TW
Tom W
If Matt leaves in September when his contract ends, who will replace him? I guess Willie Geist

As far as I was aware, his contract doesn't end until 2012...

Edit:
From the LA Times:
Quote:
"I have a long-term deal with NBC," said Lauer, whose contract expires Dec. 31, 2012. "I'm gonna be here for a while."
MW
Mike W
House posted:

'At least they're not Daybreak' (If you've seen Morning Glory ...)

One for the Lovefilm list...

and the theme to Daybreak from the movie:
http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/sample_player.cgi?track_id=26404&album_id=undefined

It's fab! Cheesily cheerful!
HO
House

Willie Geist, Carl Quintanilla, Lester Holt, David Gregory? Matt Lauer's meant to have great appeal with female viewers, with ratings actually going down a little when he's off (but not Meredith/ Ann).

As far as I was aware, his contract doesn't end until 2012...

Edit:
From the LA Times:
Quote:
"I have a long-term deal with NBC," said Lauer, whose contract expires Dec. 31, 2012. "I'm gonna be here for a while."

I think he'll sign a shorter, highly lucrative contract when December 31st 2012 comes around. There were suggestions/ assumptions when Meredith was leaving that they'd hire a male anchor as news anchor, who would then be in line to replace Matt. They didn't, which I think says a lot about NBC's expectations.
TW
Tom W
Harry Smith is leaving CBS News, to join NBC as a correspondent for the new prime-time news programme.

TV Newser

Newer posts