TV Home Forum

X Factor: 2011

THE WINNER IS.......... Is there a X factor 2012? (April 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MH
miss hellfire
I opt for Jo Whiley. I'm not her biggest fan but I cannot deny that she knows her music. She has been in the industry for Yonks, she knows her music. She has an encylopedic brain for the old stuff and can tune into what the next new big acts are. That woman has her finger on the pulse.

She also has a reputation that would be permanently damaged by being involved with The X Factor!

True, true. She could earn herself a tidy little pension though and maybe give the show the credibility it deserves. I know she's ever so nice and a very smiley is miss Whiley but she's no fool. & has an inner bitch ( trust me on that)
I'd have her mentoring the bands.
JW
JamesWorldNews
RDJ posted:
Some outsiders I could possibly picture... Lulu? Jamelia? Geri Halliwell? Heidi Range? Peter Andre?

Coleen Nolan leaving Loose Women imminently and taking-up other projects. Perhaps she is the cool funky-mumsie outsider who is to bring an Auntie Sharone Osbourne feel to the proceedings?
CH
Chie
I opt for Jo Whiley. I'm not her biggest fan but I cannot deny that she knows her music. She has been in the industry for Yonks, she knows her music. She has an encylopedic brain for the old stuff and can tune into what the next new big acts are. That woman has her finger on the pulse.

She also has a reputation that would be permanently damaged by being involved with The X Factor!

True, true. She could earn herself a tidy little pension though and maybe give the show the credibility it deserves. I know she's ever so nice and a very smiley is miss Whiley but she's no fool. & has an inner bitch ( trust me on that)
I'd have her mentoring the bands.

She's too BBC for X Factor.
DA
davidmcg

She moved from BBC Radio 1 to BBC Radio 2, that hasn't exactly helped her reputation. Lauren Laverne would be a great choice too, not so sure that she'd get picked after 10 O' Clock Live though.
BA
Badger264
Jo Whiley would undo her entire career if she joined X Factor. I think she'd add credibility to the programme but ultimately people would turn against her because of her view of 'real' music. If any DJ is to get the job, I'd really like it to be Chris Moyles, even if I'm not his biggest fan. Chris has said he'll do it and also did the celebrity version. But most importantly, on X Factor you can't be vapid of personality or afraid to voice your opinion. Gary Barlow and Michael Buble are the two most rumoured names to take over from Simon, and they definitely don't have what it takes to become an X Factor judge.

Simon has always said he wants to move X Factor to a different venue, but I wonder how logistically impossible it would be to broadcast the live shows from America? It was something rumoured in the "will they, won't they" build up to Simon and Cheryl's announcements, but I do wonder if it could have ever happened.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Gary Barlow and Michael Buble are the two most rumoured names to take over from Simon, and they definitely don't have what it takes to become an X Factor judge.

What, are the hundreds of millions of album sales and 20 odd years of experience between them not enough to qualify them to give vapid expressionless opinions?

No, you're right - that's better left to the botox stuffed hollow shell that is Cheryl Cole.
BA
Badger264
Gary Barlow and Michael Buble are the two most rumoured names to take over from Simon, and they definitely don't have what it takes to become an X Factor judge.

What, are the hundreds of millions of album sales and 20 odd years of experience between them not enough to qualify them to give vapid expressionless opinions?

No, you're right - that's better left to the botox stuffed hollow shell that is Cheryl Cole.

Success doesn't mean you'll be a good judge. Talent show judges always appear to be underqualified, even Simon isn't that successful when you strip away anyone he's found on this kind of programme. The Voice is the only one that has bucked the trend.

I'd rather have underqualified judges that have buckets of personality, which is what X Factor has been over the years, than overqualified judges who have little to offer to an entertainment programme. Dannii hasn't exactly set the music world alight but she always gets voted as the best judge.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
I'd rather have underqualified judges that have buckets of personality

Even by your own standards, Barlow and Buble would be infinitely better than Cole.

But WOTEVVA.

If the audience for talent shows would rather see someone "underqualified", then you've gone some way to explaining why you're not all throwing your telly out the window at Piers Moron and Amanda Holden as judges on BGT.

I watch neither, for the reasons I have pointed out.

Dannii hasn't exactly set the music world alight but she always gets voted as the best judge.

That's like saying she's the best leprosy patient because she has the most toes.
BA
Badger264
Its not about seeing underqualified people, I don't care about the qualifications of the judges as long as they make good TV. I'm just saying that most of the judges on these shows are underqualified.

I'm not Cheryl's biggest fan but before she disappeared up Simon's backside she did show her personality quite well, and in last years series developed a bit of a nasty/bitchy streak. Its better than just sitting there and droning on and on and on... If you don't watch, how would you know anyway?
CH
Chie
There is another important consideration that has to be made when selecting a female judge: she needs to be suitably attractive for the tabloids to fawn over on a weekly basis, and Lauren Laverne doesn't really fit the mold. It's true the producers did a good job of crafting a classy image for Cheryl Cole, but the makeover took a while, and starting all over again isn't an option. The new judge has to arrive readymade.

Although Gary Barlow is a highly competent singer/songwriter, I've always found him quite... aloof. I can't imagine him making much effort to participate in the pantomime high jinks that have become so ubiquitous on the X Factor, or readily offering harsh criticism either. He's too nice.

Michael Bublé could be perfect, but something tells me him and Louis would agree on everything, and that wouldn't do!
DI
digipal
Edith Bowman has tweeted earlier that Steve Jones has landed XF USA host job
JK
JK08
ITV will have to extend the X Factor for an hour just to let Gary vote!

Newer posts