TV Home Forum

The Virgin Media Thread

New Tivo Set-top box unveiled (November 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
David
I got an email Dean, made me laugh the way they sent another one later saying "did we say dean? we know your name is not dean" Laughing

I wonder if people called Dean got that email too.
KN
knack
David posted:
I got an email Dean, made me laugh the way they sent another one later saying "did we say dean? we know your name is not dean" Laughing

I wonder if people called Dean got that email too.

They sure did Laughing
Cable Forum

9 days later

PE
Pete Founding member
Some more info. The Register is reporting that the 500GB box will appear next month http://www.reghardware.com/2011/04/12/virgin_media_500gb_tivo/

vmhd blog says May 16th and it'll be £49.99 with the £40 install.

Also, some clarification from a virgin employee on Cable Forum re: existing customers. Apparently we won't have to pay the £40 installation if we book the upgrade in April, thus meaning we just have to pay the £149 one off for the box which seems much more reasonable.

Apparently emails are appearing today, still not seen any sign of it though, might just phone them and blag it.

Moving off slightly, I (might) possibly move out of my current flat in about 18 months, if I was to pay the £149 for TiVo here, would I have to pay it again at my new address? What normally happens when you move house with Virgin?
Last edited by Pete on 12 April 2011 3:34pm
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
When I moved flat just over a year ago I was, in essence, given a whole new account.

I was quite livid at the time because I had bagged my name @blueyonder - and this was replaced with one of the virgin media addresses (with the gavin.scott email already taken). I got something close, though. At the end of the day it doesn't matter - as you learn its never wise to use an email address connected to a pay provider; in case you get into a dispute with them or decide to switch providers.

I also had a bit of a job having negotiated discounts reapplied to my new address, and actually had to threaten to go to Sky just to be "made whole", as it were.

So how this answers your query I really don't know. I'm not sure I want to shell out another £150 for a TiVo box, as I have Virgin+ and its perfectly satisfactory for me at the moment.
WP
WillPS
Pete posted:
Some more info. The Register is reporting that the 500GB box will appear next month http://www.reghardware.com/2011/04/12/virgin_media_500gb_tivo/

vmhd blog says May 16th and it'll be £49.99 with the £40 install.

Also, some clarification from a virgin employee on Cable Forum re: existing customers. Apparently we won't have to pay the £40 installation if we book the upgrade in April, thus meaning we just have to pay the £149 one off for the box which seems much more reasonable.

Apparently emails are appearing today, still not seen any sign of it though, might just phone them and blag it.

Moving off slightly, I (might) possibly move out of my current flat in about 18 months, if I was to pay the £149 for TiVo here, would I have to pay it again at my new address? What normally happens when you move house with Virgin?

I imagine that'll be plus the mandatory £49.95 "HD activation" charge (as if activating HD services actually costs them anything - really annoys me), as is the case with the V+ presently?

In fact, will this mean the end of the V+ box?
VM
VMPhil
Well they are going to migrate everyone over to the new TiVo platform in some form or other, for example the V HD box will be upgraded to included the TiVo OS somehow, so yes, I would think that from now on the V+ box has reached the end of its lifetime.
WP
WillPS
Well they are going to migrate everyone over to the new TiVo platform in some form or other, for example the V HD box will be upgraded to included the TiVo OS somehow, so yes, I would think that from now on the V+ box has reached the end of its lifetime.
I'd say the Samsung V+ might be able to handle the new EPG software (without the full Tivo offering), but yeah hard to see the Scientific Atlantas going much further.

19 days later

VM
VMPhil
I'd say the Samsung V+ might be able to handle the new EPG software (without the full Tivo offering), but yeah hard to see the Scientific Atlantas going much further.

The Samsung V+ was originally in the running to be upgraded to TiVo however it turned out that it can't run Flash which is what the current VM TiVo software is based on (The TiVo Premiere software from the US).

So, sorry to bump this thread, but I got my TiVo fitted yesterday. It's much faster than the V+, and I really like the HD menus/guide that now use widescreen instead of stretching 4:3. One weird thing I've noticed is that the BBC channel logos all follow the BBC One logo, with the small BBC logo followed by the large 'BBC' text. This includes News and Parliament, and even CBBC and CBeebies.

It's much faster when pausing, and the fast forward and rewind is more smooth, especially on the slowest option (to fast forward, I mean).
CH
chris

The Samsung V+ was originally in the running to be upgraded to TiVo however it turned out that it can't run Flash which is what the current VM TiVo software is based on (The TiVo Premiere software from the US).

So, sorry to bump this thread, but I got my TiVo fitted yesterday. It's much faster than the V+, and I really like the HD menus/guide that now use widescreen instead of stretching 4:3. One weird thing I've noticed is that the BBC channel logos all follow the BBC One logo, with the small BBC logo followed by the large 'BBC' text. This includes News and Parliament, and even CBBC and CBeebies.

It's much faster when pausing, and the fast forward and rewind is more smooth, especially on the slowest option (to fast forward, I mean).

Worth the significant extra money?
VM
VMPhil
chris posted:

For WishLists, a 1TB hard drive, better faster UI, and free repair thanks to me only renting the box?

Hell yeah!
CH
chris
chris posted:

For WishLists, a 1TB hard drive, better faster UI, and free repair thanks to me only renting the box?

Hell yeah!

The latter obviously also counts with V+ of course. I'm still not convinced that it's worth the money at the moment. When it comes down in price I'll consider getting one.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
*WAVES*

Sparkly new Tivo now in my living room.

First impressions, fab. Love the interface, so quick and responsive, makes navigating the EPG a joy. The meta data, with all the episode details and programme info is superb. Look forward to it getting to know me and what I like to watch.

Downside, I think I have slight reduction in quality of picture in SD. Confused

Newer posts