« Topics
nwtv20038,370 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
Just seen on the late bulletin that Granada legend Bob Greaves had died. Sad

A sad day for Granada. I remember Bob on Granada Tonight (as it was called then) in the early 1990s. In fact, I have a short recording of him presenting the programme when the picture of Fred Talbot I drew aged 5 featured in the programme Smile

I'm like you in that the era of Granada I grew up was Bob and Lucy presenting Granada Tonight for the bulk of the 1990s, still a sad day for Granada and I'm sure they'll dedicate more time to his passing tomorrow.
steve
steviegTVreturns
cagney97 posts since 21 Nov 2004
RIP Bob, a really nice man to talk to, very respected. Worked well with Lucy.
Hope Granada and Lucy give him a good send off in the show tonight xx.
itsrobert6,291 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
Nice tribute to Bob tonight. Well done Granada Reports.

Indeed, Lucy looked quite sad at the end of the programme. I'm always surprised at how newscasters manage to hold it together when one of their much-loved colleagues dies. Tonight's Granada Reports reminded me of the Six O'Clock News the day Jill Dando died - I recall Martyn Lewis being rather subdued but both he and Jennie Bond managed to get through the broadcast. I guess being able to detach oneself from the news is a key part of being a newscaster.
Brekkie31,686 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Seems many of us grew up in the same era then as Bob Greeves and Lucy Meacock in the 1990s is what I remember most about Granada Tonight. It's quite sad to think really that such regional stars are a thing of the past in the days when the little regional television there is, in England at least, is generally dictated from the national broadcaster, rather than those within the region itself.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Badger264488 posts since 12 Feb 2011
Very sad news about Bob, but it has got me thinking about the eventuality of Lucy leaving. That day will be the death knell for Granada TV. Fred aside, she is the only thing that relates back to 'real' Granada but in the corporate world of ITV regional news, the presenters are now there to enhance their careers. The rest of the team are competent enough and I will continue to watch, but it would never be the same. I can't imagine any of the current younger presenters to still be there in 20 years time.
nwtv20038,370 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gADD-epLD14

I've uploaded a clip from the ITV50 programme shown on Granada in September 2005, it has an interview Bob Greaves (the same one as used in the obituary reports), also the late Bob Smithies and the late Anthony Wilson on voiceover.

It's sad to think now how many Granada greats are no longer with us at all, echoing that only Lucy and Fred are pretty much the old warm friendly faces of Granada are still there and it would be a different place if those two decided to leave.
steve
steviegTVreturns
Brekkie31,686 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Very sad news about Bob, but it has got me thinking about the eventuality of Lucy leaving. That day will be the death knell for Granada TV. Fred aside, she is the only thing that relates back to 'real' Granada but in the corporate world of ITV regional news, the presenters are now there to enhance their careers. The rest of the team are competent enough and I will continue to watch, but it would never be the same. I can't imagine any of the current younger presenters to still be there in 20 years time.

I worry whether any traces of Granada at all will be around in 20 years time.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
No further posts are being accepted for this topic