TV Home Forum

BBC One idents – January 23/24 2005 – Any help?

(February 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MW
Mike W
Think 1991-2002 clock, blurred ident with box lower left.
ET
ETP
Think 1991-2002 clock, blurred ident with box lower left.

I believe that's correct. However, the logo box wasn't positioned correctly on the graphic and I believe this unfortunate flaw played a part in the clock being pulled.
WP
WillPS
Was the ident static behind the blur?
CH
chris
ETP posted:
chris posted:
Not entirely related, but did I hear that stings were created for the Dancer idents and got played out in Northern Ireland, or did I make that up?

BBC NI did indeed make use of promo stings during the 'Dancers' era.

Are there any caps about? I don't think I've seen any on presentation websites.

Was the ident static behind the blur?

I think it was yes.
DE
deejay
It was more or less the same as the static still from Caopeira (never could spell that) that was used for the Queen Mum's death. It had the same clock as used for the baloons keyed over it. It was on the vision mixer for launch because I seem to remember News expressing reservations about being introduced over some pictures of some people dancing about. Sensible reservations IMO! Anyway, Marketing won and the clock never got to air. It was taken off the vision mixer soon after that I think.
DE
deejay
like this, but with a clock over it...:
CH
chris
I seem to remember News expressing reservations about being introduced over some pictures of some people dancing about.

So instead they decided to just have the people dancing about instead. Great move.

Looking back at old clips, the clock gave a much smoother introduction to the news, particularly since regionally produced idents into the news. I always feel, at least in the North West, we crash into it, either hearing a bit of London's ident, missing a bit of the thunderclap, or having a few seconds of silence after the ident. A silent clock is not only more suited but provides a smoother transition.
MW
Mike W
chris posted:
I seem to remember News expressing reservations about being introduced over some pictures of some people dancing about.

So instead they decided to just have the people dancing about instead. Great move.

Looking back at old clips, the clock gave a much smoother introduction to the news, particularly since regionally produced idents into the news. I always feel, at least in the North West, we crash into it, either hearing a bit of London's ident, missing a bit of the thunderclap, or having a few seconds of silence after the ident. A silent clock is not only more suited but provides a smoother transition.

BBC Midlands seem pretty dead on regarding idents these days. We rarely hear network and rarely miss thunderclaps. I miss little technical niggles like that!

ISTR seeing a BBC 1 Clock in the current style at a major BBC Centre, not used though!
There was also TV Mercia's mock for 2006 too!
WP
WillPS
chris posted:

BBC Midlands seem pretty dead on regarding idents these days. We rarely hear network and rarely miss thunderclaps. I miss little technical niggles like that!

ISTR seeing a BBC 1 Clock in the current style at a major BBC Centre, not used though!

That mock foxed me!

So there is still a clock generator with a current-pres image on? Love to see that.

What is the technical reasoning behind the clock's demise? Something to do with different STBs introducing a different delay? Surely that delay could only be +/- a second or so?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

What is the technical reasoning behind the clock's demise? Something to do with different STBs introducing a different delay? Surely that delay could only be +/- a second or so?

The delays are different on each platform.
An analogue transmission isn't unknown to be the best part of three or four seconds ahead of a digital signal.
The STB itself isn't the issue.
DE
deejay
chris posted:

There isn't an official BBC 1 Clock in the current style and Red Bee Media do not have one on their desk. That's not to say it's not difficult to make one up though Smile In fact, I've done one myself... Smile
VM
VMPhil
chris posted:

That mock foxed me!

Are we talking about this particular mock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNNSVyf2444

That is very good indeed, not sure how it would actually work in practice though (as in, keying in and transitioning it like in the mock, of which I know nothing about)

Newer posts