« Topics
JCB2,022 posts since 21 Sep 2004
Potentially a very strong line up I think.

Sorry to break it to you, but it will just be another terrible Sky channel full of adverts, cross promotion and DOGs if not from day one then at least after 6 months. It will be Sky 4 in all but name.

Yeah, Sky 4. The only thing "Sky 4" has going for it is the fact it has many of the best TV Dramas produced anywhere in the world over the last decade.

Who'd watch Sky 4?
David
Potentially a very strong line up I think.

Sorry to break it to you, but it will just be another terrible Sky channel full of adverts, cross promotion and DOGs if not from day one then at least after 6 months. It will be Sky 4 in all but name.

Yeah, Sky 4. The only thing "Sky 4" has going for it is the fact it has many of the best TV Dramas produced anywhere in the world over the last decade.

Who'd watch Sky 4?

I don't know what channel you are describing but Sky Atlantic will only show American programmes. Sky have done a deal with HBO to show all (most?) of their programmes in this country. Whether they employ some sort of quality control or just show anything with an HBO endboard remains to be seen.
JCB2,022 posts since 21 Sep 2004
Quote:
I don't know what channel you are describing but Sky Atlantic will only show American programmes.

Yes. The Wire, Mad Men, Six Feet Under, Big Love, The Soprano's, In Treatment and Generation Kill to name but a few. Some of the very best Dramas of the last 10 years. I don't know what channel you are describing.
Gavin Scott8,286 posts since 23 Mar 2001
STV Central Reporting Scotland
No such thing as a free lunch Stuart.

I know, that's why I pay a TV subscription to Sky.

You're not paying a subscription in place of ads - you're paying in addition to them.

The facility to skip ads is more of a fortunate by-product of choosing to watch in a non-linear way - a bonus, if you will; but you're making it sound like a dreadful encumbrance for you to have to press a button on your remote for 20 seconds, AND get away without watching the commercials.

So, "diddums". That's all I can really say.

Quote:
Take your own advice, Gavin, and stop sniping at almost every comment I make. It's tiresome.

Yes, you're quite right. You should be free to say what you like with absolutely no counter opinion or feedback.

Sharing a turkey with Tumble Tower this year, are you?
Lee M309 posts since 4 Jan 2003
It looks OK as an addition to the Variety Pack.

Do Virgins get this?

Is this REALLY SkyAtlantic?

Why couldn't they have just called it HBO in line with what they've done in Poland.

Because Sky want their brand on the channel, and also it won't just be HBO shows on the channel. Most of them will be, but take Mad Men for example, which in the U.S. is shown on AMC. Sky may also show some of their original productions on the channel.
Stuart7,288 posts since 13 Oct 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
Won't Sky Atlantic have adverts though?

Yes, and it will be annoying to have to fast-forward through them!

No such thing as a free lunch Stuart.

I know, that's why I pay a TV subscription to Sky.

You're not paying a subscription in place of ads - you're paying in addition to them.

I don't recall claiming that my subscription was intended to provide advert-free TV.

You missed the obvious sarcasm in my original comment.

If you can't add to a debate, Gavin, then at least restrict your touchline heckling to the handful of followers on your own forum. It's not necessary to bore a wider audience.
Last edited by Stuart on 24 December 2010 1:52pm
Gavin Scott8,286 posts since 23 Mar 2001
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Stuart posted:
I don't recall claimnig that my subscription was intended to provide advert-free TV.

That's what you left to be inferred, Stuart. I mentioned no free lunch, and you brought up your subscription.

My point remains entirely valid. Advertising covers a proportion of the costs.

Quote:
You missed the obvious sarcasm in my original comment.

Indeed I did. Where was that, then?

Quote:
If you can't add to a debate, Gavin, then at least restrict your touchline heckling to the handful of followers on your own forum. It's not necessary to bore a wider audience.

But there isn't a debate. You were whining about being inconvenienced by the commercial part of commercial television, and I'm saying that its hardly something to kvetch about.

PS: You're one of Metropol's many long-standing readers, Stuart, as your little sticky footprints reveal; so, thanks for the plug - again.