TV Home Forum

Strictly Come Dancing 2010

The Final - This Weekend (August 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
David

No its not. Its from "Well Contented" who take copy from anywhere. It's the usual pish from the Sun.

I can see your point, I never though in a million years STV would put it up on the "MOST Poplar" screen on the stv news break...

Forgetting the source of this story for a moment, does anyone else get the impression it could be true? When it was first announced that Forsyth would do reduced hours this year, I thought it could be his last year. I assume someone at The Sun thought the same and wrote an article based on nothing more than that.

It will be a lesser show if Forsyth does leave. I can't think of a current BBC presenter who could take his place and I doubt they would trust their big Saturday night show to someone unknown or someone not currently in vogue. It will probably go to someone unsuitable like Graham Norton or Michael McIntyre.
PT
Put The Telly On
David posted:
It will be a lesser show if Forsyth does leave.

You think? I hate to say he's "past it" but after watching the final and his awful jokes *raising arms to get reaction*. it's got to go to another host I'm afraid.
DA
David
David posted:

You think? I hate to say he's "past it" but after watching the final and his awful jokes *raising arms to get reaction*. it's got to go to another host I'm afraid.

I honestly think he makes the show. Without him it's just a load of people dancing which personally wouldn't interest me all that much. It's refreshing to see someone presenting in a different way to what has now become the norm. It probably helps that he isn't reduced to begging for votes like most presenters on this kind of show are too.

Do you honestly think Strictly Come Dancing would have lasted this long if it was presented by Tess Daly alone?
NG
noggin Founding member
David posted:
David posted:

I honestly think he makes the show. Without him it's just a load of people dancing which personally wouldn't interest me all that much. It's refreshing to see someone presenting in a different way to what has now become the norm. It probably helps that he isn't reduced to begging for votes like most presenters on this kind of show are too.

I think that there is something in what you say. Brucie is a long standing, popular, saturday night entertainer - and he is still amazing live. The reason he often looks like he's missed a cue is that he's been doing keeping the audience interested between studio bits.

I think that - on-screen - now may be the time to bow out - but he'll be a tough act to follow.

Quote:

Do you honestly think Strictly Come Dancing would have lasted this long if it was presented by Tess Daly alone?

Quite. She's entirely disposable...
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
David posted:
Forgetting the source of this story for a moment, does anyone else get the impression it could be true?

We had this same rumour last year and the year before that, and lazy old hacks know very well they can trot out this story until eventually they'll get it right - rather like the Wills and Kate Middleton engagement, which has been regularly popping up since 2004 or something.

Bruce appeared on ITT with Claudia in the final week, and gave not even the slightest hint of wanting to call it a day. He joked about intending to go longer than other broadcasters (who are younger than him).

I can well understand him opting not to do the second show - after all, it won't start taping til 9pm. Having been on air (or on stage at least) from about 6pm warming up the crowd, he'd probably rather be in the bar for a relaxing drink - and the second show doesn't need him, and benefits from Claudia's presence.

When Bruce retires from Strictly, you can bet he'll make it known in advance of his final series - a swansong for him, allowing him to make that part of his act. He's too much of a showman to just slip away from the programme - simple as that.

I would just adore to see Claudia replace Tess for the main shows - she and Bruce had great rapport, and her quick wit clearly tickled him pink.
WE
Westy2
Can you think of many respected presenters with a dancing background?

There was talk of Anton the Berk taking over, but I suspect his faux pas with Laila Rouass in the previous series might have harmed his chances. (Still think Widdy was his punishment BTW! Laughing )

Out of curiosity, ISTR Lionel Blair has done the Strictly tour in recent years & he seemed pretty active on that recent TV series about getting old.

Is he a possible short term replacement until someone younger who knows about dancing comes along, if the show continues?

(Has LB done live TV presenting? I know he did live theatre as per the Noel Edmonds 'Gotcha Oscar', but 'Name That Tune' in the 80's was recorded wasn't it?)
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

I think that there is something in what you say. Brucie is a long standing, popular, saturday night entertainer - and he is still amazing live. The reason he often looks like he's missed a cue is that he's been doing keeping the audience interested between studio bits.

There aren't many people who don't like Bruce. Pretty much universally popular. A bit like Ken Dodd really.

It may well be Brucie does miss the occasional cue. This article from the Daily Mail a couple of years ago reveals an old school technique which I suppose is easy to miss if you're looking the wrong way at the time:

[Tess Daly] presides over the jewel in the BBC's crown, and has perhaps the hardest job in telly: keeping Brucie in check while laughing at his jokes. Surely that's terrifying in itself? If the rest of us spend every show wondering if he's going to stumble over the autocue, what must Tess - grinning at his side - be thinking?

She won't hear of dissing Brucie, but does offer an intriguing explanation as to why it might seem that she is in charge. 'Brucie is brilliant, but he's part of the old school - that generation of TV entertainers who don't wear earpieces. They're used to responding to hand signals from the floor manager. They get all their timings from physical signs. But timing is everything on live TV - hence the need for earpieces. You have to stick to your schedule, come hell or high water, and that sort of direction comes from the gallery. I'm the one who wears the earpiece - so they all yell at me, then I have to chivvy Bruce along.'

Crikey. That must be rather difficult, particularly when he is in mid-joke. 'Yeah, well, not really, no,' she says, not particularly convincingly. 'It does give me a lot of responsibility, but I enjoy that, in a way. I enjoy the thrill of keeping it all in, bringing the conversation back and delivering my lines on time, as it has to be. We actually have a great system, Brucie and me. I sort of do my bit, he does his bit - wonderfully - and when I'm being shouted at by the gallery to get on with it, I tap him on the back, and the taps get more insistent, to the point where I am thumping him. Literally. He doesn't mind, though. He puts up with me.'
BR
Brekkie
David posted:
David posted:

I think that there is something in what you say. Brucie is a long standing, popular, saturday night entertainer - and he is still amazing live . The reason he often looks like he's missed a cue is that he's been doing keeping the audience interested between studio bits.

I honestly read that as "it's amazing he's still alive".

Same rumour every year - frankly the show would go on without him anyway, but I suspect they'd be better off bringing in a big name to replace both Brucie and Tess rather than put somebody into Tess's shoes. And frankly he's 82 - why is retirement such a dirty word in showbiz?
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Can you think of many respected presenters with a dancing background?

No, is it a pre-requisite for the job though ?
GS
And frankly he's 82 - why is retirement such a dirty word in showbiz?

Its not.

Forced retirement is something less savoury though.
BR
Brekkie
Although I believe perfectly legal from the age of 65 - at the moment at least. I do agree though that this should be and indeed will be Brucie's call - but assuming they make the right choice when the time does come to replace him (i.e. Not Anton du Beke!) I'm sure the show would survive without him.

9 days later

GS
Although I believe perfectly legal from the age of 65 - at the moment at least. I do agree though that this should be and indeed will be Brucie's call - but assuming they make the right choice when the time does come to replace him (i.e. Not Anton du Beke!) I'm sure the show would survive without him.

Confirmed today by the Beeb that there are absolutely no plans to replace Bruce on Strictly, along with a rather bizarre comment of how they are "thrilled by how he was received by the audience"; as if that's somehow 'news' in his stellar entertainment career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10317943

FYI, retirement legislation doesn't apply in entertainment - any producer can, at any time, replace the talent. It may be referred to as "retirement", but its not. Your contract is either renewed or its not; and even then you can remain under contract and still not be asked to reprise an existing role.

Told you it was all a lot of journalistic who-shot-John.

Newer posts