The Newsroom

Sky News: Presenters & Rotas

Chat about Sky News Presenters and Rotas Here (July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EX
excel99
This 7 day a week morning strand at 'face value' seems weird. As Adam Boulton's blog post says Sundays are different in terms of the style of show. A fast moving weekday morning show with lots of breaking news is different to the more relaxed Saturday feel of Saturdays mornings and the more in depth Sunday mornings. It sounds like things will change, but I'm sceptical how there can be a successful 'one-style fits all' approach to late morning news programming 7 days a week.

Now I'm sure Sky have thought this through and when the details are revealed it might make more sense. But as I said at 'face value' the plan seems weird to me
BR
breakingnews
Funny moment on Sky just there. Willie Walsh, of BA, was being interviewed live, apologising for all the cancelled flights. Meanwhile a plane takes off behind him, making so much noise he has to stop talking. But he said that it was actually a BA flight. Sarah Hughes laughed, something's getting off today!

Is Paul Harrison Sky's new royal correspondent?
WA
watchingtv
Funny moment on Sky just there. Willie Walsh, of BA, was being interviewed live, apologising for all the cancelled flights. Meanwhile a plane takes off behind him, making so much noise he has to stop talking. But he said that it was actually a BA flight. Sarah Hughes laughed, something's getting off today!

That's one for the promos! Not that they are done anymore
TH
Thomas

Lorna introduced him as Royal Correspondent on Sunrise this morning, so I think so. Sarah Hughes is now a presenter mainly.
Ashish Joshi was also headline presenting today, and he did NSW earlier this week. I think he's cover for Paula Middlehurst.
LO
Londoner
Paul Harrison and Sarah Hughes are sharing the royal correspondent duties
MA
Magoo
I see Colin Brazier's out and about in the snow at Heathrow today. Any location presentation over the weekend?
TW
Tom W
Magoo posted:
I see Colin Brazier's out and about in the snow at Heathrow today. Any location presentation over the weekend?

Lorna now at Heathrow.
No, don't think anyone was outside over the weekend
GI
gillw72
Magoo posted:

A very cold Colin Brazier

http://yfrog.com/h3ubcvj
GA
garyj
I hope Sky News is back in the studio for Live at 5. Afternoon Live has been appalling.
LU
Luke
why is Martin Stanford still doing these 10 minute headlines then? clearly been sidelined by the bosses when you think he was one of the channel top presenters a few years ago.
DH
Daniel H
I really didn't see the benefit of location presentation today, a couple of questions for anyone who knows the technicalities...

On location, what would the monitor in front of the anchor show? Sky News final output or just the location output? If its the channel feed, are they just receiving the picture through a satellite box on the same frequency we pick it up on?

Also how do they transmit the auto cue script from the Sky News Gallery to the prompter on location?

And same for presenter talkback, how do they get the audio feed with as little a delay as possible from the London gallery to wherever they are presenting from.

Just watching Martin Standford on NSW - either he is bogged down with a cold or flu, or he just doesn't enjoy his job anymore.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I really didn't see the benefit of location presentation today, a couple of questions for anyone who knows the technicalities...

On location, what would the monitor in front of the anchor show? Sky News final output or just the location output? If its the channel feed, are they just receiving the picture through a satellite box on the same frequency we pick it up on?

Also how do they transmit the auto cue script from the Sky News Gallery to the prompter on location?

And same for presenter talkback, how do they get the audio feed with as little a delay as possible from the London gallery to wherever they are presenting from.
Can't answer all of those for you - but don't assume that when a presenter looks down at their feet that there's really a monitor there. They might just be taking their cues from the audio, and looking down is their cue for the director that they've finished talking.

I don't think it's likely that they'll transmit any special return vision, so if there really is a monitor there, it's most likely just off-air monitoring.

The clean feed to the presenter's earpiece could be transmitted on on a satellite link - it'll be low-bandwidth, so will have very little coding latency, but still the half a second for the satellite hop. Otherwise, they'll do it by mobile phone to a TBU in the truck - though that'll be lower quality for not much reduction in latency.

As for autocue? There's an app for that!

Newer posts