TV Home Forum

BBC One HD This Autumn

Split from the generic thread (May 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Chie posted:
How does an upscaled SD picture compared to a true HD picture on an HD set? I've never seen either on an HD set.

It's pretty atrocious.

Upscaled

HD

Motion trails are also produced when people and objects move on an upscaled picture, which doesn't happen with HD feeds. Although apparently there's some new 'motion blur technology', or whatever it's called, that solves the motion trail problem. Which isn't very useful to those who bought a 42" 1080p HD TV before its invention.

Err - that only happens with rubbish upconverters. Any decent upconverter used by a broadcaster for long-form content should do a pretty good job. Most broadcasters are using Snell Quasar or similar models that do an amazing job at de-interlacing and coping with mixed source content in the same signal. (So don't fall to bits when you have a 50i roller over 25p content)

Sure the SD upscaled content is limited in resolution terms - but most upconverters in use by broadcasters are a LOT better than anything available in domestic kit.
PE
Pete Founding member
Indeed the upconverter really does matter. I have a Series 4 Samsung TV which does OKish upscaling, Mr Hyma meanwhile has a series 5 Samsung which does it quite a bit better. Both of which are outdone by the very good upscaling of the Samsung V+ box we both have.
CH
Chie
that only happens with rubbish upconverters. Any decent upconverter used by a broadcaster for long-form content should do a pretty good job. Most broadcasters are using Snell Quasar or similar models that do an amazing job at de-interlacing and coping with mixed source content in the same signal. (So don't fall to bits when you have a 50i roller over 25p content)

Sure the SD upscaled content is limited in resolution terms - but most upconverters in use by broadcasters are a LOT better than anything available in domestic kit.

We were discussing the fact the Tumble Tower would like the majority of BBC channels to remain SD-only.
NG
noggin Founding member
Chie posted:
that only happens with rubbish upconverters. Any decent upconverter used by a broadcaster for long-form content should do a pretty good job. Most broadcasters are using Snell Quasar or similar models that do an amazing job at de-interlacing and coping with mixed source content in the same signal. (So don't fall to bits when you have a 50i roller over 25p content)

We were discussing the fact the Tumble Tower would like the majority of BBC channels to remain SD-only.

I thought you were talking about motion blur caused by upscaling - which shouldn't happen on a broadcast quality upconverter.

If you're talking about motion blur as a property of the TV display technology - then that is independent of the SD or HD source and a fundamental limitation of the display itself.
IS
Inspector Sands
The films on The One Show are commissioned from regional independents (and any indy not gearing up for HD must be gearing up for closure these days), and BBC network production departments outside London (Cardiff, Belfast, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol).

AIUI none of The One Show films are made by the non-network prodution bits in the regions - i.e. BBC English regions (otherwise known as the local news bits) - though BBC Leeds have also got some HD kit as they make Helicopter Heroes and that is now HD.

Indeed and HD kit is getting more common and cheaper all the time and in many cases companies or departments have had the equipment or software for years but it's been producing SD. Editing software is a good example, I know of places that upgraded to Final Cut Pro HD many years ago, and still aren't due to make anything in HD.

Technology moves quite fast, 4 or 5 years ago HD camera kit was fairly unproven and some companies were hesitating on buying into it because they weren't confident it would be reliable under certain circumstances. Now HD is virtually standard
NG
noggin Founding member

Technology moves quite fast, 4 or 5 years ago HD camera kit was fairly unproven and some companies were hesitating on buying into it because they weren't confident it would be reliable under certain circumstances. Now HD is virtually standard

Yep - though anyone buying a camera rather than renting at the moment needs to be VERY careful. The BBC still haven't really finalised on a codec and recording format for their mainstream HD content.

They currently use DVC Pro HD to tape for most factual shows, with some HDCam, and are using all sorts of stuff for other genres. Most people don't expect DVC Pro HD tape to be a long-running format, and Panasonic's P2 format is OK at the high-ish level, but their lower end cameras don't meet the Beeb's technical standards. (They've got a great recording format in P2 - which can take DVC Pro HD or AVC Intra codecs, but their low cost cameras have sensors that are too small - 1/3" rather than 1/2" or 2/3" - too low resolution and too poor in low-light)

Sony's XD Cam EX flash system runs at too low a bit rate to be acceptable, though the EX1/3 front-end has been approved (so you can use EX3s with a Nanoflash bolt-on recorder) They have the opposite issue to Panasonic - great front-end (for the price) - but the recording format is not quite up to it (4:2:0 and only 35Mbs).

Some bits of the Beeb are using XD Cam 422HD disc camcorders (not that closely related to XD Cam EX - they're rival internal departments in Sony I believe) - but there is resistance to the mechanical optical disc (size, battery life, noise, camera expense etc.) - though they have an excellent front-end AND a recording format that runs at a high enough bit rate (50Mbs) to be acceptable (and uses 4:2:2)

Canon's new 50Mbs 4:2:2 Compact Flash based camcorder is looking promising for a Z1/EX1 kind of replacement - but the replacement for the DSR DVCam higher-end self-shooting and crew-shooting workhorse is still not clear...

139 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Latest online rumour suggests 3rd November test launch, with full launch on the following Sat 6th November.
NG
noggin Founding member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/sat_frequencies.shtml

Appears to confirm Nov 3rd launch date. They've shifted the three SD BBC One sub-regions off the transponder that will house BBC One HD and BBC HD. I wonder if they will switch this to DVB-S2 some time soon - now that it doesn't need to be DVB-S for SD compatibility?
GE
thegeek Founding member
I wonder if they will switch this to DVB-S2 some time soon - now that it doesn't need to be DVB-S for SD compatibility?
Yup, I believe that's the plan.
MA
Markymark
I wonder if they will switch this to DVB-S2 some time soon - now that it doesn't need to be DVB-S for SD compatibility?

Room on the t/p for C4HD too ? Smile
NG
noggin Founding member

Room on the t/p for C4HD too ? Smile

Or BBC One HD National variations? AIUI Reporting Scotland already comes from an HD studio - and the nations are making content in HD not-for-network.

C4HD would be great to have on Freesat, as would Five HD, though...
SP
Spencer
C4HD would be great to have on Freesat, as would Five HD, though...

You're not missing out on much from Five HD. There's very little native HD content. Even many of their big American imports which are made in HD are still only shown in upscaled SD.

Newer posts