TV Home Forum

Sky Atlantic

New Entertainment Channel launches early 2011 (October 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RR
RR
my concern is as to whether Sky will try asking Ofcom to allow the conversion of the Channel One Freeview slot into a Pay-TV channel.

Haven't they said it will become Challenge?

Sky won't want to put another pay channel on DTT - at the moment the retailers of the channels are BT and TopUp TV, and Sky compete with them as retailers. Unless Picnic is both allowed and actually happens, Sky have no interest in strengthening two competitors.
BR
Brekkie
JAS84 posted:
JAS84 posted:
Another show poached from FTA TV... glad I don't watch Mad Men, otherwise, I'd probably be mad right now.

BSkyB are running a business, not a public service. What do you expect them to do, only bid for dross that other channels don't want to pick up?

I notice that there is no mention in the press release about the channel being available anywhere other than on DSat.

I know that, but it's still annoying when you start watching a show on free to air TV and it moves to a pay broadcaster.

Exactly - and it makes me extra cautious when new US series launch here on FTA channels. And the days when Sky programmes would be sold on to FTA broadcasters to be transmitted six months later are long gone - Sky3 tends to wait until the series is over completely.
MI
Michael
Sky Atlantic - it sounds like a Holiday firm.....

Not quite, but there is of course an airline called Virgin Atlantic.

Based on the Sky/Skype debacle, should Richard Branson sue Sky on the basis that customers could get the two brands confused?

EDIT: Oh - and regarding the gentleman's agreement thingy - I remember all 4 modern Star Trek series and of course Buffy had this arrangement - Sky1 about 6-9months ahead of BBC2
GE
thegeek Founding member
JAS84 posted:
I know that, but it's still annoying when you start watching a show on free to air TV and it moves to a pay broadcaster.
Oh, hang on, does this HBO deal mean they're going to get their hands on True Blood? The girlfriend won't be happy if it leaves C4...
EJ
EJNutz
[quote="Stuart" pid="681237"]
JAS84 posted:

However, my concern is as to whether Sky will try asking Ofcom to allow the conversion of the Channel One Freeview slot into a Pay-TV channel.

That would be very bad, and rather confirm their reputation as a regulator who rolls-over and jerks with the right movements, when approached by a commercial broadcaster with a big enough and fully-charged cattle-prod. Shocked

As you stated earlier "BSkyB are running a business, not a public service."

Having said that It is a shame to see Sky taking dominance of the television market, not in the interest of viewers but of their own pockets.

Sky Atlantic does look like being a good channel. I just hope it is not as repetitive as Sky's other's channels.
LI
Lightoftruth
Isn't this what Sky 1 is suppose to be? Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
JAS84 posted:
Oh, hang on, does this HBO deal mean they're going to get their hands on True Blood? The girlfriend won't be happy if it leaves C4...

Thankfully FX have a life long agreement for True Blood, meaning they and presumably C4 keep the rights.

Doesn't apply to all existing shows though - Curb your Enthusiasm seems to be part of the Sky deal, as is Entourage (though think ITV2 had given up on that anyway).

Newer posts