TV Home Forum

Broadcasting House, Salford Quays & TVC

(September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Bail Moderator
This upper floor could be World Service’s new home

I couldn't find a dedicated BH and Salford thread but I thought I'd start one as (a bit old for those who read Ariel I know) a few new photos of the new Broadcasting House have aired along with some impressive stats I thought I'd share..

The new Broadcasting House in numbers The area of the 13 floors in W1 is equivalent to 10 football pitches. It will have 15 lifts, equivalent to a travel distance of nearly half a mile. The central double height space of the news room could fit 90 London buses. W1 will use over 10,500 lights and 10,000 miles of cable.

Television’s flexible rig studio in the basement has the largest suspended floor in the world, designed to eliminate vibrations from underground trains

This is the main Journalism entrance
Last edited by Bail on 16 June 2011 2:38am
HO
House
Very impressive, cheers Bail.

Bail posted:
Television’s flexible rig studio in the basement has the largest suspended floor in the world, designed to eliminate vibrations from underground trains

What's this studio likely to be used for, do you know?
ST
Stuart
Thanks for posting those, Bail. It's nice to finally see some pictures, rather than just artists' impressions.

I look forward to seeing some of the Salford Quays development.
LM
Lee M
House posted:
Very impressive, cheers Bail.

Bail posted:

What's this studio likely to be used for, do you know?

Wonder if it's the "TC7 replacement" I.e. Newsnight, Andrew Marr, Politics Show and (if common sense prevails) Breakfast if the move North is abandoned.
PE
Pete Founding member
I do rather like that BBC logo on the front of Broadcasting House.
NE
newsmonkey
Trust me, there is zero possibility of Breakfast's move to Salford being called off.
AC
aconnell
Trust me, there is zero possibility of Breakfast's move to Salford being called off.

You'd never hear the end of it from the Daily Mail if they backtracked the decision!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
"flexible rig" studio does kind of imply something like the Barcos
AM
amosc100
Lee M posted:

Wonder if it's the "TC7 replacement" I.e. Newsnight, Andrew Marr, Politics Show and (if common sense prevails) Breakfast if the move North is abandoned.

What is so wrong about Breakfast moving to Greater Manchester?

Have you ever been to Salford Quays?
LM
Lee M
Lee M posted:

I don't have a problem with the place it may move to, it is the fact that it will have a noticeable impact editorially on Breakfast when it comes to one of the most important aspects of the programme: guests. The vast majority of the interviews on Breakfast will all be down-the-line one-camera affairs from London, rather than the case at the moment where the majority are conducted in studio.
ST
Stuart

There is nothing wrong with the move, at all.

I've seen the Salford Development (last year) and Salford Quays.

It's an execellent choice, MediaCityUK is already up and running, with or without the BBC's involvement. They are merely joining the party, and with some EU help no doubt.

People are happy to see lottery funds plouged into the Olympics, a four week event, with a legacy for regenerating the East End of London, but not the BBC joining an ever-growing regeneration of a former-industrial area away from the capital?
Last edited by Stuart on 6 September 2010 9:40pm
AM
amosc100
Lee M posted:
Lee M posted:

I don't have a problem with the place it may move to, it is the fact that it will have a noticeable impact editorially on Breakfast when it comes to one of the most important aspects of the programme: guests. The vast majority of the interviews on Breakfast will all be down-the-line one-camera affairs from London, rather than the case at the moment where the majority are conducted in studio.

So the university professors they use down south are far superior to the in the north?

They do not have people of expertise in the north?

only exceptions, I can see will be politicians, who should be westminster and presumably those are currently interviewed via screen anyway from the Westminster office; and the other being people from the press (but saying that the press have offices in the north.

In other words, does it not work the other way round at present, anyway? How many interviews are conducted don the wire from the Manchester studios?

Also when it comes to the lighter part of the show (I.e the last 45 mins) thenwon't they use guests who are actually based in the north than the expense of getting them down south? How much of problem was it for This Morning to get guests to Liverpool? (who didn't have a large airport at the time, and considering it was the selfish nature of Richard and Judy for moving south rather than for guests itself - in reality they supposedly blackmailed Granada, at the time)

Newer posts