TV Home Forum

The X Factor 2010

Auditions commence with guest judges (June 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JD
jdav
Felek posted:
I'm a big fan of the show, but there is a danger of it getting stale without some major changes this year or next.
The clever thing about The X Factor is that it has been re-invented quite a few times, the Steve Brookstein days seem like they were on a completely different show. Added with judges changing, presenters, set, format tweaks etc it still manages to stay current.

Perhaps they'll get away with HD, guest judges and adding Huq this year, but certainly next year would need to see some big format changes to keep it exciting IMO.

I think The X Factor really needs a bigger venue for its Live shows. I hope there are plans to look at moving them again this year to an arena or something.
ST
Stuart
How does Cowell get away with re-inventing 'Opportunity Knocks/New Faces' and making a fortune out of it?

He even manages to sell the same essential format under two different guises (X Factor/BGT) to the same network year after year.

If I want to see amateur talent, I go and see local AmDram productions, or locally produced versions of West End shows.

That's where new talent is truly available, and not motivated by someone who wants to catapult innocents at high speed into the maelstrom of national media bitchiness.
BE
Ben Founding member
How does Cowell get away with re-inventing 'Opportunity Knocks/New Faces' and making a fortune out of it?

He didn't reinvent it, don't forget The X Factor replaced Pop Idol. It's amazing he ever got away with that.
NE
newsatten
jdav posted:
Felek posted:
I'm a big fan of the show, but there is a danger of it getting stale without some major changes this year or next.
The clever thing about The X Factor is that it has been re-invented quite a few times, the Steve Brookstein days seem like they were on a completely different show. Added with judges changing, presenters, set, format tweaks etc it still manages to stay current.

Perhaps they'll get away with HD, guest judges and adding Huq this year, but certainly next year would need to see some big format changes to keep it exciting IMO.

I think The X Factor really needs a bigger venue for its Live shows. I hope there are plans to look at moving them again this year to an arena or something.

Well I think for the live shows they'd stay at the same place as they do now ( Fountain Studio's) because of cost - but there was rumours that they might have the final in Wembely Areana.
JA
jay Founding member
jdav posted:
Felek posted:

Well I think for the live shows they'd stay at the same place as they do now ( Fountain Studio's) because of cost - but there was rumours that they might have the final in Wembely Areana.

Every year there are rumours of an arena being the venue for each live show - it would cost, but they could also getting away with selling tickets for, say, £30 per person or something and make even more money.
BR
Brekkie
I think at most the final might move to a bigger venue, but ultimately bigger doesn't always mean better when it comes to creating an atmosphere for television.
ST
Stuart
Ben posted:

He didn't reinvent it, don't forget The X Factor replaced Pop Idol. It's amazing he ever got away with that.

Indeed, I missed that out as I didn't want my post to appear like a surreal time-loop!
NE
newsatten
jay posted:

Every year there are rumours of an arena being the venue for each live show - it would cost, but they could also getting away with selling tickets for, say, £30 per person or something and make even more money.

well the NTA's charged for tickets and i expect there'd be more people wanting to see the X Factor Final live.

I think at most the final might move to a bigger venue, but ultimately bigger doesn't always mean better when it comes to creating an atmosphere for television.

I agree, as I was saying about the NTA's, the atmosphere was a bit funny especilay with the ad breaks. Although I think that was at the 02 - which is too large!
Somewhere smaller like Wembely Arena would be better and I think the MOBO's come from there and it has a better atmosphere.
JA
jay Founding member
jay posted:

well the NTA's charged for tickets and i expect there'd be more people wanting to see the X Factor Final live.

I agree, as I was saying about the NTA's, the atmosphere was a bit funny especilay with the ad breaks. Although I think that was at the 02 - which is too large!
Somewhere smaller like Wembely Arena would be better and I think the MOBO's come from there and it has a better atmosphere.

...Which is exactly why every year they scrap the arena idea and go back to Fountain. The final creates such an amazing atmosphere in the studio that would be impossible to re-create on a stage in a large arena.
WH
Whataday Founding member

There is a story behind the protection of the Opportunity Knocks format. Aparently a version appeared in New Zealand in the 80's and Thames/Hughie Green failed to do enough to prosecute. In fact Green spent most of his last savings on fighting for the format (and lost) so a precident was set.
JA
jamesmd
jay posted:
jay posted:

...Which is exactly why every year they scrap the arena idea and go back to Fountain. The final creates such an amazing atmosphere in the studio that would be impossible to re-create on a stage in a large arena.

It's not exactly an amazing atmosphere. In reality they just scream a bit louder and the set lights up a bit more with the Christmas trees.

ITV are crap at doing arena shows anyway. Every year the BRIT Awards are an embarrassment. And one of the last arena shows they did, they cut to a break just as the only good thing happened Wink
IS
Inspector Sands
Ben posted:

Mind you Pop Idol owed a lot to Pop Stars, including the name which of course is why the 'Pop' isn't used anywhere else in the world

Newer posts