TV Home Forum

GMTV (1993 - 2010)

The End (November 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
I thought that the C3 Breakfast service was always seen as both legally and technically a separate channel.

You've answered your own question there... it's the 'Channel 3' breakfast license therefore is the same broadcast service as the other 'Channel 3' licensees.

It was always legally and technically a separate broadcaster, but part of the same 'channel' as ITV.
ST
Stuart
You've answered your own question there... it's the 'Channel 3' breakfast license therefore is the same broadcast service as the other 'Channel 3' licensees.

It was always legally and technically a separate broadcaster, but part of the same 'channel' as ITV.

Ah! Good point, Inspector. Laughing
BR
Brekkie
One thing I suspect likely to change as a consequence of ITV taking control of GMTV and it's successor is whether it's presenters will be able to make shows for other channels.

Obviously it all depends on contracts etc., but with GMTV there seemed to be a tendency for much of their work outside of GMTV to be with the BBC (notably the Lottery shows). We're already seeing with Adrian Chiles and the speculation about Christine Bleakley it's likely future presenters will be tied in an exclusive contract with ITV, limiting their options outside of breakfast TV.
CH
chris
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a227360/bbc-thinking-about-hiring-penny-smith.html

Report is however from the Daily Star so don't hold your breath, but if it were true, I'd happily see Christine jump ship to ITV if it meant Penny Smith taking over on The One Show
BP
bpmikey
For all its worth now, I think that since its revamp in January 2009, GMTV has been the best its been for a long time. Finally, every show is consistent. The branding is great and is consistent, the presenters are consistent, the content is consistent and so I really do think it is kind of going out on a high. Although there is loads of fluffy stuff, its more newsy now than it has been since very early this decade. The music is all from the same complete package (unlike before the revamp) and it is quite refreshing. Watching this morning, I feel that it is a shame that its going, but then I do think its time for change - I just hope ITV bring change well and with dignity to GMTV because for many people, it has been the forefront of their mornings for nearly 20 years.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
I just hope ITV bring change well and with dignity to GMTV because for many people, it has been the forefront of their mornings for nearly 20 years.

Umm... hyperbole much?

It's just a breakfast TV show; and a copy of TV-am at that. I don't think its the most important thing in anyone's morning - unless you're Lorraine Kelly.

Oh God, you're Lorraine Kelly, aren't you? Embarassed
BR
Brekkie
Finally, every show is consistent. The branding is great and is consistent, the presenters are consistent, the content is consistent ...

You just don't get that is the problem to you. It's consistently bland, consistently lightweight and consistently beaten by BBC Breakfast. That's why it's effectively being axed!
CH
chris
Finally, every show is consistent. The branding is great and is consistent, the presenters are consistent, the content is consistent ...

You just don't get that is the problem to you. It's consistently bland, consistently lightweight and consistently beaten by BBC Breakfast. That's why it's effectively being axed!

And it costs too much.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The distinction is all but dead now and will disappear almost totally in September (well in England and Wales if not Scotland and NI). Not before time too, it's an outdated historical anomaly

Which begs the question, do STV and UTV have any kind of veto on the GMTV slot becoming branded ITV1? And can they insist on a clean opt point at 9.25 if they want to do their own thing? I can see STV deliberately scheduling a local programme at 9.25 just to be awkward.
GS
I can see STV deliberately scheduling a local programme at 9.25 just to be awkward.

What's that supposed to mean?

STV's viewers know the channel as STV - not ITV1. I'd say it would be pretty stupid to reinforce someone else's brand when they've got a much better identity that their viewers expect to see.

Does that mean they're being "awkward"?

I image if you still had Yorkshire television you wouldn't have put it in those terms..

But then of course you don't, do you.
JO
Jonny
Surely they'll strike some sort of amicable agreement regarding branding, otherwise what would prevent ITV from reacting to any "awkwardness" from STV by promoting programmes as being on "ITV1 (in) Scotland"?
GS
Jonny posted:
Surely they'll strike some sort of amicable agreement regarding branding, otherwise what would prevent ITV from reacting to any "awkwardness" from STV by promoting programmes as being on "ITV1 (in) Scotland"?

At the moment they just don't refer to UTV or STV - just "ITV1" - notably during the telly reviews and such.

I can't honestly see them coming to any kind of gentleman's agreement - so in my view its vital that STV make sure they do what they must to reinforce their own identity come the 9.25 switchover.

If anyone is "awkward" its ITV - plastering their logo and colour scheme over the news.

And what a marvellous success that's been for them. Rolling Eyes

Newer posts