The Newsroom

Barrie Moss

Eyewitness (June 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
David
This guy was on TV yesterday and he has gone down to see the media again today. So far today, I have seen him on Sky News, BBC News, GMTV and even This Morning.

How would he have become known to the the media? Did he just go to a camera position yesterday and ask to speak on air? Is it that simple?

I wonder why he wants to speak on television so much, he has obviously told his story so many times that it now comes across as a well rehearsed script. He repeats his account of what he saw yesterday, almost word for word each time he is interviewed. He even starts crying at the same point in the story each time. I can't help thinking he would be better staying at home or speaking to someone who is more qualified to help him.
Last edited by David on 3 June 2010 1:47pm - 3 times in total
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
It was my understanding he is a local doctor as I heard he had certified some people dead.
DV
DVB Cornwall
He's described as a 'technical consultant' in this article - WWW.JOURNALLIVE.CO.UK/NORTH-EAST-NEWS
MA
Magoo
How would he have become known to the the media? Did he just go to a camera position yesterday and ask to speak on air? Is it that simple?

Producers seek out eyewitnesses and would then assess their suitability to go on air and talk about their experiences. In this case, I imagine he started out on one channel or another, and his story was so compelling that he gained the attention of other channels who also wanted to speak to him.
IS
Inspector Sands
It was my understanding he is a local doctor as I heard he had certified some people dead.

The local GP was just on BBC News - he is also called Barry
IS
Inspector Sands
This guy was on TV yesterday and he has gone down to see the media again today. So far today, I have seen him on Sky News, BBC News, GMTV and even This Morning.

He was on the phone to BBC News yesterday (the interview you posted about which contained the word nutter)

Once he appears once he's known to the media so other reporters will find him and want him on their programme too. This is especially the case when he's as good at telling his story as he is (he's coherent and can talk at length - just what TV wants) and because he has a good story to tell. Also I suspect that that those involved aren't exactly queuing up to talk to the media

Quote:
I can't help thinking he would be better staying at home or speaking to someone who is more qualified to help him.

You might be right, although just talking about something like that can help.
CH
Chie
Obviously likes the attention.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

The local GP was just on BBC News - he is also called Barry

Yes, apologies, the doctor was in fact Barrie Walker, not Barrie Moss.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Chie posted:

God Chie you're *so* quick to judge.

This scenario is rather like that bigoted old woman that Brown met - she couldn't get home with her bag of shopping, as every passing ENG crew dragged her off to interview her.

Look behind him in the caps and you'll see the next crew only feet away.
BE
Ben Founding member
Sometimes when there is a tragedy like this some individuals find they need to tell their story while others would rather not talk. It may just be how he is coping with the horror he witnessed and the media just happen to be sticking him in front of a camera, you shouldn't assume he is trying to get attention out of it.
JA
Jamesypoo
Chie posted:

God Chie you're *so* quick to judge.

This scenario is rather like that bigoted old woman that Brown met - she couldn't get home with her bag of shopping, as every passing ENG crew dragged her off to interview her.

Look behind him in the caps and you'll see the next crew only feet away.

I'm not sure it's quite like that. He was on the ITV Lunchtime News again today.
DA
David
I'm not sure it's quite like that. He was on the ITV Lunchtime News again today.

He was on the ITV Lunchtime News twice. He changed the spelling of his name in between each appearance (see caps above). When I have seen him on Sky News he has been called Barry Moss, maybe Sky News don't check the spelling.

Newer posts