TV Home Forum

BBC One HD This Autumn

Split from the generic thread (May 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Come on now - a jokes a joke. Who is going to fess up to being Tumble Tower?

Dimblebot.
TT
Tumble Tower
Come on now - a jokes a joke. Who is going to fess up to being Tumble Tower?

I was only answering Hymagumba's question. So as not to derail this thread further, let's get back to the real topic, BBC One HD.

Will there be regional versions (South, South West, West, Wales, etc)? If so, will they all be available on Sky Digital? Putting them all on would take a lot of capacity. Alternatively will there just be four versions - England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland - with London news (or a resurrection of UK Today) in the regional mag slot on BBC One HD England?
HA
harshy Founding member
Na it will be one version, they could use 6945 which is currently running BBC HD, and has been for many a year on satellite (if you wondering what 6945 is, it's a hidden channel which only shows up on a generic satellite box)
CH
Chie
How does an upscaled SD picture compared to a true HD picture on an HD set? I've never seen either on an HD set.

It's pretty atrocious.

Upscaled

HD

Motion trails are also produced when people and objects move on an upscaled picture, which doesn't happen with HD feeds. Although apparently there's some new 'motion blur technology', or whatever it's called, that solves the motion trail problem. Which isn't very useful to those who bought a 42" 1080p HD TV before its invention.
RE
remlap
Na it will be one version, they could use 6945 which is currently running BBC HD, and has been for many a year on satellite (if you wondering what 6945 is, it's a hidden channel which only shows up on a generic satellite box)

No they couldn't that channel is using the same PID's as BBCHD only the Service ID is different.
TT
Tumble Tower

Thanks Chie, I've compared the two pictures. On the HD picture you can see the whiskers on the man's face and hairs on his arms clearly, not so with the upscaled SD picture.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member

Thanks Chie, I've compared the two pictures. On the HD picture you can see the whiskers on the man's face and hairs on his arms clearly, not so with the upscaled SD picture.

Yes, Tumble, we can see it for ourselves you know.
IS
Inspector Sands
How does an upscaled SD picture compared to a true HD picture on an HD set? I've never seen either on an HD set.

SD up-converted to HD can look OK if the original is of good enough quality, but the main thing is that it's not HD - you can't just magic those extra lines of resolution out of thin air.
IS
Inspector Sands
Doesn't The One Show have a lot of regional input, which would make it quite a challenge to have all the films in HD? (assuming just doing the studio stuff in HD and whatever they can manage for the rest isn't an option)

Yes, most of the reports are from indies around the country but they'll most likely either already have HD capable facilities or the ability to hire them in for the shoot.
NG
noggin Founding member
Not an unexpected move when Five decided not to continue with their plans for Freeview HD... It allowed the BBC to run two Freeview HD channels and thus continue their platform neutrality with DSat and DCab.

The One Show is less of an issue than some might think.

The films on The One Show are commissioned from regional independents (and any indy not gearing up for HD must be gearing up for closure these days), and BBC network production departments outside London (Cardiff, Belfast, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol).

Most of BBC network production departments have HD production facilities already - though Manchester are presumably having to do some short-term upgrades at Oxford Road before the Salford move?

AIUI none of The One Show films are made by the non-network prodution bits in the regions - i.e. BBC English regions (otherwise known as the local news bits) - though BBC Leeds have also got some HD kit as they make Helicopter Heroes and that is now HD.

The One Show inserts are also much shorter than network programmes - so different, and lower cost, production and delivery models could be adopted.
NG
noggin Founding member

SD up-converted to HD can look OK if the original is of good enough quality, but the main thing is that it's not HD - you can't just magic those extra lines of resolution out of thin air.

No - but SD upconverts on HD channels often look massively better than the same SD content on the SD channels - mainly because most SD channels are now broadcast in very low quality...
01tomki
From what I understand, for the people who are a bit confused, BBC1 HD will run a long side BBC HD, BBC1 HD will carry both HD and upscaled programs, but BBC HD will carry just HD, but from the other channels.

You mean the BBC is getting a second HD channel? Why not rename the existing BBC HD channel BBC One HD, and make it a HD / upscaled SD carbon copy of BBC One, and call the new one BBC Two HD, to be an HD / upscaled SD carbon copy of BBC Two?

The other BBC channels (BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News, BBC Parliament) can remain SD only. Still that's no problem judging by their content:

BBC Three: who needs Little Angels or Family Guy in HD? Even EastEnders repeats in SD are fine, you've had chance to see them in HD proper time on BBC One HD.
BBC Four: who wants Opera Italia or Elvis In Las Vegas in HD?
CBBC: what on Earth's the point in showing Chucklevision , Arthur or Tracy Beaker in HD?
CBeebies: there's no point putting Tweenies , In The Night Garden , a bedtime story or the goodnight song in HD.
BBC News: news and weather look good enough in SD, ditto Click (computer/internet documentary).
BBC Parliament: it's only the inside of the House of Commons, who needs HD for that?

The BBC HD channel will stay the same from what I have seen on the net. It will be on longer during the day also. The HD channel will just show HD stuff from accross the network (BBC2,3,4 ect) and will not show any upscaled stuff like BBC One HD will.

Newer posts