The Newsroom

Sky News

Sky News HD Launches 9pm tonight (February 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GI
gillw72
I don't suppose we will get a gallery feed on the red button tonight?
DA
David
gillw posted:

I think Sky have given up on Sky News Active. There was a time when they would put any live event they could on there but during this month's election coverage there were times when two main party leaders were doing something and the main channel had a split screen of both events but Sky News Active didn't cover either of them. Was it 2005 when they had 16 screens? We probably would have heard if they planned to do anything like that this time.

Once the HD channel launches with it's picture in picture graphics, they probably won't bother putting anything on Active.
GI
gillw72
gillw posted:

I think Sky have given up on Sky News Active. There was a time when they would put any live event they could on there but during this month's election coverage there were times when two main party leaders were doing something and the main channel had a split screen of both events but Sky News Active didn't cover either of them. Was it 2005 when they had 16 screens? We probably would have heard if they planned to do anything like that this time.

Once the HD channel launches with it's picture in picture graphics, they probably won't bother putting anything on Active.

You're probably right....come to think of it, I cannot remember the last time I looked at Active.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
gillw posted:

Probably not after Kay's phone call to the gallery just as they were going to air last time.
MA
Magoo
gillw posted:

Probably not after Kay's phone call to the gallery just as they were going to air last time.

Haha, what happened there?
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Magoo posted:
gillw posted:

Haha, what happened there?

Kay called the gallery phone as they were going to air. Someone was shouting it's only fu***** Kay Burley or something similar. Very bad timing for her call.
BR
Brekkie
gillw posted:

There seems to have been no mention of anything extra on Sky News Active. The BBC will have a five screen multiscreen.
FI
field
gillw posted:

Anyone know what the "awaiting results" system actually is? Is it a common system across broadcasters?

Quite the opposite - there is huge competition between the BBC, ITN and Sky to get results on-screen first - so they all have people at every counts, and totally independent systems.

Historically some broadcasters' reporters have called seats early when the piles of votes have clearly indicated a particular result - but historically some have also got caught out.

I think the BBC usually wait to be absolutely sure - and so are sometimes seen as a bit behind. Personally for elections I don't care quite so much - as there isn't much you can do to change the result!

The BBC don't use stringers at counts, which is why their individual constituency results are normally slower to be announced than other broadcasters.

The BBC DOES have stringers at every count tonight...
AS
Asa Admin
It seems a good time to bring the pre-HD era topic to an end. Please continue all Sky News discussion in the new thread - http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/topic31015

Cheers, Asa

Newer posts