TV Home Forum

Britains Got Talent

Britains Got Talent ends for another year (April 2010)

NE
newsatten
Ahead of the new series starting on Saturday, I though I'd start a thread for Britains Got Talent.
Last edited by newsatten on 26 April 2010 8:45pm - 2 times in total
:-(
A former member
That a bit out of the blue!, but will it top last year and this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

I did found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA-tOsM6F4Y great but creepy somewhat.
:-(
A former member
I that wee girl is great
TV
TV Geek Granada North West Today
Good opener I thought, and if you take SuBo out of last years first episode I think this years was better.

Louis was a good judge and today shown that if there is any truth in Simon wanting to quit, the show actually can have a future without him.
CH
Chie
I that wee girl is great

The girl was a good mimic, but it remains to be seen if she can actually sing.

I think the new backdrop is great, though most of the acts were a bit.. meh. In fact, Kevin Cruise's Jane MacDonald T-shirt was the highlight of the show!

Sweden's Got Talent gets all the good ones.
TV
Chie posted:
I that wee girl is great

The girl was a good mimic, but it remains to be seen if she can actually sing.

I think the new backdrop is great, though most of the acts were a bit.. meh. In fact, Kevin Cruise's Jane MacDonald T-shirt was the highlight of the show!

Sweden's Got Talent gets all the good ones.

In fairness, the acts never are that good in the auditions because they focus on the rubbish ones. We don't really see much talent until the semi finals. But they have a habit of putting all the best acts in the same semi final meaning we end up with a final that isn't as good as it could be. Last years first semi final on the whole could have easily been the final (on the whole).
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
11.5m viewers (50% audience share) at its peak, an average of 10.6m.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8627974.stm

No real "stars" as such in the first show, the ten year old Vera Lynn wannabe with the unfortunate surname Hickinbottom was impressive, but I query the cover of a song that's 50 years older than she is. Dame Vera herself questioned whether White Cliffs of Dover should be performed by a ten year old as the song's original purpose would be lost on the youngster.

Animal acts are all very impressive, the only issue is the entire act falls apart if the animal's not in the mood. On Semi-Final night you can kiss your chances goodbye if the dog isn't wanting to dance, even if it is the most adorable creature on the planet. Last night's parrot sketch was, um, surreal and a follow-up skit on More Talent with another dog was even more of a disaster. Then Harry Hill got involved on the entire Timbrel and Tambourine debate:
http://talent.itv.com/2010/video-highlights/viewer/watch_more-auditions-week-1-timbrel-debate_item_200763.htm

The other story of the night: Kieran Gaffney, aka "Drummerboy". No doubt he's very good at what he does, even though I thought he'd effectively committed professional suicide by actually agreeing to be a part of that awful act with his mum & dad. Much better on his own, though it's a very limiting act, and once you've seen one drummer, realistically you've seen them all. As much as I'm sure the public will like him, I will be surprised if Kieran wins. Semi-Final is probably guaranteed after last year and the routine he made up off the top of his head this time but I reckon he'll be hard-pushed to make the final.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Was pretty clear Keiran didn't want his parents there at all. I just wonder whether his parents are that selfish, or whether they knew turning up with him would guarantee they'd be put in the position they were put in.

Apparently too they'll be six rather than five live shows before the final this year.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
TV
Was pretty clear Keiran didn't want his parents there at all. I just wonder whether his parents are that selfish, or whether they knew turning up with him would guarantee they'd be put in the position they were put in.

Apparently too they'll be six rather than five live shows before the final this year.

I get the impression that it was set up. It all looked very staged and from the moment they shown him with his mum and dad, it was so obvious how it was going to pan out. I also think he was quite boring and the faces he was pulling were comical.

6 live shows is natural progression for the show I guess, having the first live show on a Sunday last year went down extremely well because momentum then gets a chance to build from the minute the Saturday show finishes whereas it might have worn off a bit by the Monday, assuming that the live shows will be Sunday-Saturday rather than Monday-Sunday. The press pack only says 5 live shows and then the final though, where did you hear about 6?

If true, then that begs the question where Channel 4 will schedule Big Brother as 30th May is very heavily rumoured as the launch and last series or not, it would be lucky to get 3m viewers against BGT.
Last edited by TV Geek on 18 April 2010 6:02pm
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Apparently it's what Applause Store is saying, though I've not seen it myself and treat it with a bit of caution - it's possible the first show could just be a run through, especially as they're having a new set this year.

Guess it's also possible the final could be over two nights too, with 10 on the first night then the top 3-5 performing again the second night. I do think they should get an extra performance in there somewhere as with most acts we only get at most 3 performances throughout (and most the singers reprise their audition routine in the final).
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

I get the impression that it was set up. It all looked very staged and from the moment they shown him with his mum and dad, it was so obvious how it was going to pan out. I also think he was quite boring and the faces he was pulling were comical. .

A lot of drummers apparently make funny faces when they're going hammer and tongs with a couple of drumsticks. Compared to last year's auditions where he looked a lot "happier", this year he's under pressure having been chucked in at the deep end.

But yes, the common setup with these types of "family" acts is that it's the kid(s) who have the talent and the adults are just there to take up some space. You do wonder sometimes how much of this stuff is "engineered" for want of a better description. I wouldn't say the Kieran and his parents thing was faked, no 13 year old wants to be seen in public with his parents if they can help it. The thing is Kieran was probably too polite to tell his mum and dad that they suck at singing and playing guitars.
PT
Put The Telly On (previously nok32uk) Meridian (South East) South East Today
Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but I certainly got the impression the parents were trying to be in on his talent in a selfish way.
youtube.com/putthetellyon1

Newer posts