TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Big week of storylines and Corrie in HD from Monday (February 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JE
Jez Founding member
TVN posted:
Wow! Really can't believe Roache is 77. He looks in his early sixties, I met him (and his late wife) at a function a couple of years ago, and he looks just as young.

Remember thinking that his wife died at a cruelly young age, but I guess she must have been in her seventies as well.

(CORRECTION - his wife was actually only 5Cool

Ive met Bill Roache on 2 occasions and he is lovely. He always makes time for the fans (unlike some) - I agree he also doesn't look 77. In the show Ken is meant to be a bit younger tho.

As for Bill Tarmey, not surprised by this news - Jack and Vera were both great characters, but like with Hilda and Stan when one was killed off the other was never the same really.
Last edited by Jez on 10 April 2010 11:58pm
7N
7 Network
Si-Co posted:
This has no doubt been asked before, but to save me scrolling back and reading 984 pages(!)...

Does anyone know if different versions of the 'hour long' Monday and Friday episodes are produced for overseas sales, ie. so every half hour episode has an opening and closing credits sequence?

Hi Si!

Don't know about that, but on itv2, Thursday double eps of Emmerdale are shown as singular eps, ie, with full credits at the start and end of both eps, presumably that is how they are packaged for export. I know why they cut the credits here, but I do prefer full eps rather than "in half an hour..." type efforts.

Whilst I'm on the Coronation Street page, I thought I'd copy and paste this 'essay' of ramblings I posted over on DS earlier about female producers and stuff:

Female producers in soaps, why does it go wrong?

On the whole, it seems female producers seem to give soap more bad patches than male producers, which seems slightly ironic. I've read over the years about producers of soaps such as Kim, and also Sue Pritchard, Anita Turner, Louise Berridge getting terrible press over their handling of the soaps they were producers of. I think only Carolyn Reynolds was one of the best producers.

It was on a similar note that Australian soap "Sons and Daughters" went down hill under the tenureship of female producer Posie Jacobs.

Just look at the kudos over the years given to Mervyn Watson and John Yorke and lately Dierderick Santer and mostly Gavin Blythe for the fantastic jobs they have made.

I don't watch EastEnders, but I hear Dierdrick did a sterling job whilst there, Emmerdale is under a similar renaissance under Gavin. I first came to Emmerdale during Mervyn's producership, and it was the best few years of the show between 1995-1997.

Coronation Street I have watched for over 30 years. I remember times before technology is what it is now, and I'd be distraught if I missed an episode. In this past few months sometimes I have over a week's worth of eps gathering dust on my Sky +, becuase it has become a CHORE.

Twice a night Mondays were bad enough, then Friday, then moving it off Sunday and from Wednesday to Thursday. I started fast forwarding scenes. We had wall to wall Dev, the awful affair of last year with Kevin and Molly (I refuse to join character names), I think the rot was enhanced by the dreadful Colin storyline, and Julie becoming Eileen's sister. She was a far better character when paired with Kirk. The whole Fizz and Mr Boring as has been said and said the whole while. I can't even type any more about the storylines, it depresses me thinking about it.

Then where have lots of good writers gone, where are John Stevenson (last ep in 2006), John Fay (last ep in 2007) and Catherine Hayes (last ep in 2008)? Dare I say it, I even miss the shoehorned shameless nostalgia of Daran Little's eps. Unthinkable to think he's now off to Walford.

I still watch out of loyalty, and pray for a return to the good times. Emmerdale is my favourite soap, and has been for a while, I just adore it. Coronation Street had this adulation and I could never imagine typing these words in the good old days of the old street tours up at Granada.

Years of episodes I have on DVD of the soaps, occasionally I record very good eps these days for keeps. I can't remember the last Coronation Street ep I recorded - the Christmas eps last year has got to down there as one of the worst on record.

It saddens me that in it's 50th year, Coronation Street is just filling 2 and a half hours of ITV schedules.
JE
Jez Founding member
I know Steve Frost got a lot of critisism from some people but I thought he was really good at Corrie. Corrie is far worst now IMO than it was 2 years ago.

I wouldnt say it is terrible now but something isnt right, its just moving along at the moment without nothing really exciting happening. There are a lot of characters I really like - Leanne, Peter, Tina, Rita, Audrey, Ken, Deirdre, Ciaran, Liz, Steve, Becky. I find Mary quite amusing because she annoys Norris so much! Carla is my fave but hate her with Trevor, wish they would give her something better to do.

Im looking forward to the return of
Tracy and Tony
and the upcoming storyline with
Blanche's on screen death
should be very moving.

I think with the new producer coming in and Corrie's 50th anniversary things will hopefully improve by the end of the year.
7N
7 Network
I miss the old days with great comedy scenes like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkhXtJmu2BE
JE
Jez Founding member
It looks like tonights episode was meant to be Fridays 2nd episode (so last Sundays was an extra episode for Easter.) It seems to revert to normal next week with 2 on a Friday and no Sunday episode. A pity as I prefer it on a Sunday rather than 2 on a Friday.
TV
TV Times
Weird to hear a Boyzone song playing in the Rovers tonight - I wonder if Ciaran put it on?
SC
Si-Co
Si-Co posted:
This has no doubt been asked before, but to save me scrolling back and reading 984 pages(!)...

Does anyone know if different versions of the 'hour long' Monday and Friday episodes are produced for overseas sales, ie. so every half hour episode has an opening and closing credits sequence?

Hi Si!

Don't know about that, but on itv2, Thursday double eps of Emmerdale are shown as singular eps, ie, with full credits at the start and end of both eps, presumably that is how they are packaged for export. I know why they cut the credits here, but I do prefer full eps rather than "in half an hour..." type efforts.

Hi Jason.. Thanks, so that would seem to indicate that there are different cuts of these soaps around!
SP
Spencer
If anyone's got a garden fete that needs opening, I think I've found your man! Wink
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
If anyone's got a garden fete that needs opening, I think I've found your man! Wink

He's my friend on facefart.

No fooling.
ST
stevek2
he's a bit late to reaudition for Nick Tilsley Confused

we've just had our school renovated so maybe he could reopen a couple of classrooms for us
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
You work in a school?
JO
Joe
Pah, next you'll be telling us you contribute in some way to the running of an internet forum.

Newer posts