The Newsroom

BBC World News - to 14th January 2013

Global with Jon Sopel - Logo Page 204 (January 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
In anticipation of the new programming from Monday onwards, I thought I would start a new thread to kick-off this next new phase of World's transition into 2010 (perhaps the old thread will be merged or locked at some point soon).

What are we all hoping from the new programming? As a life-long "World" watcher, I recall the days when each segment had it's own branding and titling. BBC Newsday. BBC Newshour. The World Today. BBC Newshour - Asia Pacific. BBC World News. Etc.....

When we became all "generic" and strawberry ripple themed at the turn of the last decade, waved goodbye to Lambie Nairn and said hello to David Lowe, I was initially a little disappointed. However, the new "generic-ness" grew on me and, even after more than 15 years of watching, it is satisfying to see that several of those initial pioneering anchors on World are still around to this day, through the red and cream and eventually onto today's current disjointed schedules, which always give the impression of randomness.

Looking forward to seeing some strong pillars established from next week onwards, hoping that credibility remains top of the agenda, hoping that it doesn't become all "Hala Gorani" with those mad hand-held dancing cameras, and hoping for some Lambie-esque orchestral arrangements to announce the arrival.

Let's see..........
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 11 January 2013 1:15pm - 44 times in total
NG
noggin Founding member

When we became all "generic" and strawberry ripple themed at the turn of the last decade, waved goodbye to Lambie Nairn and said hello to David Lowe, I was initially a little disappointed.

Think you're a bit confused there.

Lambie Nairn was responsible for both the multicoloured flags AND the ivory and china red looks. You didn't wave goodbye to Lambie Nairn when "strawberry ripple" arrived, you just waved hello to his/its next look.

Yes - the music that Lambie Nairn and the BBC chose changed (and David Lowe's stuff arrived) - but the branding was still courtesy Lambie Nairn.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Noggin - I am old!!! Embarassed Forgive my supreme ignorance and many thanks for the correction.
BR
Brekkie
Any specifics over what is new and what is being dropped?
MI
Mike516
Hello. First post. Be kind!

I also remember BBC World from 1995-2000 when I was abroad, and remember the blocks of news programming at various times of the day. (Newsday - Philip Hayton 0600-0900 CET; Newsdesk - Nik Gowing 1200-1400 CET {1 hour earlier in winter}; Newshour Asia Pacific - Nisha Pillai 1530-1630 CET {1 hour earlier in winter}; The World Today - Donald MacCormick & Nici Marx 1900-2100 CET; The World Report 2300 CET)

So I feel that Monday's relaunch is going full circle, following a period of time around 1999/2000 when the 'news blocks' were dismantled. In fact a lot of the 'blurb' for the new bulletins about providing a distinct news service for south Asia, etc, sound very similar to what was said when Newshour Asia Pacific went on air.

I hope it's not too personality driven, though.
BA
bakamann
here's a TV Promo for Impact Asia...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gYcItXZBRg
ZA
zack11
Wow Mishal looks great. I like when she said I will be the calm in the storm. That is really true about her. She diff. brings calmness and is a reassuring voice in these troubling times.

The promo is superb... Love it.
ZA
zack11
Wow Mishal looks great. I like when she said I will be the calm in the storm. That is really true about her. She diff. brings calmness and is a reassuring voice in these troubling times.

The promo is superb... Love it.
BB
BBC LDN
It's a tidy promo, to be sure, though I don't see anything outstanding about it. It would have been nice to see some improvement made to the BBC World News website - given that that promo points out that this is the beginning of a wave of new programming on the channel, it's pretty shoddy that there's barely any mention of it on the BBCWN site.

Given how little content there is on the site anyway - it's little more than a schedule listings site with some press releases and promos thrown in - it's a very poor effort, on both the aesthetic and navigational fronts.

Take away the logo banner at the top, and you could be looking at just about any weakly designed website from five or six years ago.

I appreciate that the bulk of traffic goes through bbc.com, but when you look at the sites of the BBC's other international channels such as BBC Knowledge (which have links to the World News website in their footers), the WN site really stands out as a wholly underwhelming and outdated experience.

Still, one hopes that the programming will offer something new.

Will any of this new programming make it on to the News Channel in the UK? I remember the days when WBR and Asia Today used to be on the overnights during the back half-hours; I, for one, would be very happy to see the interminable boredom of The Record and The Record Europe banished from the News Channel, and I wouldn't have any issues with Panorama being removed from the NC too, if it made way for a bit of new content here and there.
ZA
zack11
Problem on BBC WORLD...there was no sound, crash into a recorded program with Martine.
Now back to world studio with Jonathan Charles
SE
seamus
So much for a "redesigned studio":
http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/television/2010012842302.htm
JF
JamesyFish
The promo looks nice a slick, and the music sounds pretty cool, like a mix between BBC News + HardTalk..

Newer posts