The Newsroom

DEC Appeal

When? (January 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steddenm
The ITV DEC appeal is being voiced over by Sir Trevor McDonald.
MW
Mike W

Presented by, not voiced over.
BR
breakingnews
I have a problem with these types of things. I presume all the channels will do this type of thing for every natural disaster.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I have a problem with these types of things. I presume all the channels will do this type of thing for every natural disaster.

Not will but as they have for years.
BR
Brekkie
I have a problem with these types of things.

Why?
BR
breakingnews

Why?

Because they don't do it for every natural disaster.
MW
Mike W

Why?

Just the ones in poverty stricken countries that would have difficulty dealing with the aftermath without support.
ST
steddenm

Yeah sorry, only saw the beginning.
MW
Mike W

Yeah sorry, only saw the beginning.

well if you only saw the beginning, it is an easy mistake to make.
BR
breakingnews

Why?

Just the ones in poverty stricken countries that would have difficulty dealing with the aftermath without support.

That's a bit subjective. I don't know, I just feel that certain disasters or wars get absolutely no attention and then all of a sudden the media hop on a disaster story (admittedly this does appear exceptional, but you get my point).
NG
noggin Founding member
The BBC, ITV, C4 and Sky usually only broadcast appeals when the Disasters Emergency Committee - which is a grouping of major British aid charities - have assessed the need for foreign aid for a particular disaster, and taken the decision that they have to launch a swift public appeal for funding to provide aid.

It isn't a case of the media jumping on a bandwagon - it is a case of the charities asking for an appeal if they feel the need is great enough. Not a call made by the media, but by the charities (who are best placed to know the scale of the need)

Only occasionally are requests by the DEC refused - though the recent Gaza appeal was a controversial case-in-point.
BR
Brekkie

Why?

That's a bit subjective. I don't know, I just feel that certain disasters or wars get absolutely no attention and then all of a sudden the media hop on a disaster story (admittedly this does appear exceptional, but you get my point).

So you'd rather they helped nobody instead?

It is a tough call - if they did them for "every" natural disaster they'd be on air practically every week, and just become part of the TV landscape and hence less effective. As pointed out, these appeals are the call of the DEC, not the broadcasters, and they make the judgement.

One thing though I didn't agree with today was the ticker on the ITV News - firstly it wasn't the best graphic in the world, but secondly the news is there to report, not appeal. No issue with them ending a report by giving out the contact details, but to have them on screen throughout is blurring the boundaries a bit IMO.

Newer posts