« Topics
dosxuk4,166 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I'm just amazed that such a small, virtually insignificant change has generated so much discussion

Well, originally there was disgust and outrage at the idea that a branding agency could dare to change the logo. Then there was digust and outrage at the idea that a branding agency could add warmth to a logo. Then there was disgust and outrage that Sky uses different logos for different brands. Then there was disgust and outrage at the first sight of the new logo, and that it actually seemed to be warmer than the old logo, and that's not what Sky's about. Then there was disgust and outrage about the use of more than one logo at once. Then there was disgust and outrage about the inconsistent implementation and use of the new logo. Currently there is disgust and outrage about the alignment of the "sky" and "SPORTS" text on the new Sky Sports logo.

Laughing

Apologies if I missed any other disgust and/or outrage throughout the thread, but it's only a summary.
mdtauk6,226 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
You did, amazement that they managed what they set out with such a "small change", and excitement as it means channels will be tweaking and updating their logos/looks, and new type design coming from Miles Newlyn for sky.

Its better to be discussing a logo change after over 10 years, than fantasy schedules, presenters on BBC News, or crap like X Factor, its what TV Forum is supposed to be about!!
Inspector Sands13,523 posts since 25 Aug 2004
I'm just amazed that such a small, virtually insignificant change has generated so much discussion

Well, originally there was disgust and outrage at the idea that a branding agency could dare to change the logo. Then there was digust and outrage at the idea that a branding agency could add warmth to a logo. Then there was disgust and outrage that Sky uses different logos for different brands. Then there was disgust and outrage at the first sight of the new logo, and that it actually seemed to be warmer than the old logo, and that's not what Sky's about. Then there was disgust and outrage about the use of more than one logo at once. Then there was disgust and outrage about the inconsistent implementation and use of the new logo. Currently there is disgust and outrage about the alignment of the "sky" and "SPORTS" text on the new Sky Sports logo. Laughing

And after all that... it's just a lower case y! Rolling Eyes
Michael4,006 posts since 5 Sep 2005

Well, originally there was disgust and outrage at the idea that a branding agency could dare to change the logo. Then there was digust and outrage at the idea that a branding agency could add warmth to a logo. Then there was disgust and outrage that Sky uses different logos for different brands. Then there was disgust and outrage at the first sight of the new logo, and that it actually seemed to be warmer than the old logo, and that's not what Sky's about. Then there was disgust and outrage about the use of more than one logo at once. Then there was disgust and outrage about the inconsistent implementation and use of the new logo. Currently there is disgust and outrage about the alignment of the "sky" and "SPORTS" text on the new Sky Sports logo. Laughing

And after all that... it's just a lower case y! Rolling Eyes

and a lowercase s and k.
London London
Wrong wrong wrong [STOP GETTING SKY REBRAND LOGOS WRONG ] (alan partridge reference)

Look at the new curves on the s, and the terminus of the letters, the long curve - short curve design style has been replaced with a leaf like curve shape, this is a fundemental change in design aesthetic

The new typeface is more elegant, and you see how it uses more leaf like forms on the ends of the characters. These new details are brought in with HD in mind, so there is less need for straight ends and rigid forms for on-screen SD display. The new Sky Sports logo uses the new uppercase stylings (as far as I can tell from my examining)

And now the glass design is a lot brighter and cleaner than the previous glass form, also it helps differentiate between Sky in the UK, and Sky in Germany, which has adopted the sky brand from the UK
London London
I think it depends on how long you have been here for... I was hear about day 2 or 3 and we were here to discuss channel and broadcaster re-brands, operations and other professionally minded subjects.

Now its rampant with fantasy schedules and fans of particular presenters.
Inspector Sands13,523 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Isn't it ironic that people comment on this being a waste of a thread yet we're discussing the very thing this forum is based on.

I never said it was a waste of a thread! I said I couldn't believe that such a minor change (and yes it is just a tweak) has generated so many posts... even by TV Forum standards
jay1,811 posts since 23 Mar 2001
London London
Isn't it ironic that people comment on this being a waste of a thread yet we're discussing the very thing this forum is based on.

I never said it was a waste of a thread! I said I couldn't believe that such a minor change (and yes it is just a tweak) has generated so many posts... even by TV Forum standards

A tweak or not it's still a television presentation discussion forum - and people are discussing the tweak.

It's obviously going to lead to all Sky channels changing their logos eventually so I really don't see what the problem is. If you don't like it, don't look at the thread!
jay