The Newsroom

BBC Cambridge New Premises and Look East Revamp

December 2009 (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
m_in_m
Whats the betting that the LE set in Norwich will be a mirror image of the Cambridge set albeit on a larger scale. So much for a desk being 'a barrier' between Stewart and Susie and us - the viewers, which was why they got rid of the desk in the first place 6 years ago when they moved to the Forum.

I doubt it'd be that much larger. The Norwich studio is minute!

If they do still want to keep the desk-less set, I think they could do worse than having a mini version of the BBC Breakfast set using light boxes ala Hull and Cambridge with perhaps a couple of big (ish) screens chucked in.

It will be interesting to see. I hope they get updated titles and the same music as South East Today. Only one more full edition left with 3 camera shots...thank goodness!

I was surprised to see no mention of the fact that the weathers been done away from the studio, and the minimal camera shots. No mention on Cambridge sub-opt about moving.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Watching at lunchtime it looks like the main Norwich studio has had a refit over the weekend as it now looks similar to the national studios (and the new Cambridge studio). The background is of a newsroom instead of the (blurred) forum, and the weather at lunchtime was presented from the right hand side. Presumably timed to match in with the new Cambridge studio, also helped with the Politics Show being filmed on location.

On a related note I came across the 360deg tour of the old Cambridge studio...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/360/cambridge_look_east.shtml
...interesting to see the page has a variation of the red 'no longer updating' notice.
WO
Worzel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/realmedia/lookeast/norwich/bb/lookeast_16x9_bb.asx

All looks really nice. On the end of the bulletin they show a behind the scenes of the new studios and a time lapsed video of the old set being taken down and the new one erected!
AZ
azza5570
it's a strange new look for look east, think I prefer the older lok. nice variation when opting into cambridge
IS
Inspector Sands

All looks really nice. On the end of the bulletin they show a behind the scenes of the new studios and a time lapsed video of the old set being taken down and the new one erected!

It does seem a bit of a waste to use screens for a background when they've a studio with a proper real window in it
RO
rob Founding member
Screenshots available at the bottom of this page on TV Live.
OV
Orry Verducci
I've also uploaded parts of the programme to my YouTube channel, including the behind the scenes video:

Arrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyegWJ-yjlI
NG
noggin Founding member

It does seem a bit of a waste to use screens for a background when they've a studio with a proper real window in it

Real Window backdrops are a nightmare to light for (you need to be able to cope with the height of summer at 1330 and midwinter total darkness at 2225! Difficult with a full crew and clever polarising filters on the windows - very difficult with low levels of staffing) and you need to have a nice view to make it worth while.
IS
Inspector Sands

Real Window backdrops are a nightmare to light for (you need to be able to cope with the height of summer at 1330 and midwinter total darkness at 2225! Difficult with a full crew and clever polarising filters on the windows - very difficult with low levels of staffing) and you need to have a nice view to make it worth while.

But surely the one in Norwich wasn't that bad as it is a window into the atrium of the building?
ST
Stuart

Why not copy BBC Persia who went for the nice idea of printed blinds (with holes which allowed for traffic movement behind to give an idea of an active image), yet retain the lighting of the studio?

Surely they only set the lighting for a few different levels?
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator

But surely the one in Norwich wasn't that bad as it is a window into the atrium of the building?

I think the problem with the view into the atrium was when there were events on. I see to recall on one occasion a black banner was superimposed onto the feed used for the backdrop, presumably due to advertising being visible or similar. Looking at the time-lapse footage it looks like the set has been rotated 90 degrees. I guess new set also makes it easier to alter the studio appearance for the Politics show, as before it looked like quite a bit was physically re-dressed.
JA
Jamesypoo
Excuse me for being ignorant, but where is the real window in the Norwich studio? I wasn't aware there was one and can't see one on the time lapse video of the set change.

Newer posts