TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas 2009 - Doctor Who ident revealed

(December 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
SillyTilly
Hasn't it been said that there is more than 1 ident this year. Doctor Who being only one of them.
CH
Chie
Now for those of you that said that there wouldn't be a Doctor Who Christams ident, it wouldn't have real reindeer and wouldn't feel Christmassey what do you think of the finished product?

I absolutely love it!

It could've been much better, in my opinion.

The music is nice though.

I think the reindeer at the beginning are real.
GE
George12345
There's something about the ident that I don't like, and hopefully we'll be able to make out the region come the day of the broadcast version of the ident,

Is it the best ident in a while, no probably not in my opnion, Peguins and Snowball were far superior, Snowball cried out christmas while the soundtrack is not too bad on this one
PA
paul_hadley
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2009/12/bbc-chrsitmas-ident.html

WOW!!!

Fantastic!

Do we know yet whether they'll only be using the Doctor Who idents this year, or if they are going to be mixing between Wallace & Gromit / Snowball / Doctor Who?
JC
JonathanC
The first few shots very much feel like a bit of a rubbish studio, but the music and the climax is great. Love it, though hopefully there's variations/they mix it up with the previous christmas ones.
JO
Jonny
I notice that the logo isn't revealed via its usual trademark swirl animation, instead it simply fades in. Odd that they've omitted a key brand device and I see no reason for doing so.

I realise that the outer swirl lines are created by the sleigh but the letters could still have 'rolled' on without these.

Being picky I know.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2009/12/bbc-chrsitmas-ident.html

WOW!!!

Love it! Really made me smile that. And the music is fab. Very Happy

How good is that?!

I got a wee lump in my throat there.

Good grief.
CH
Chie
Jonny posted:
I notice that the logo isn't revealed via its usual trademark swirl animation, instead it simply fades in. Odd that they've omitted a key brand device and I see no reason for doing so.

I realise that the outer swirl lines are created by the sleigh but the letters could still have 'rolled' on without these.

Being picky I know.

I think the fade makes the ident more atmospheric.

I agree JonathanEx about it looking too much like it's been shot in a studio. I really hope there's a night time version.
JF
JamesyFish
Wow! I actually just sat here with my mouth open!
NE
Neil__
Chie posted:
I agree JonathanEx about it looking too much like it's been shot in a studio. I really hope there's a night time version.

I'm guessing that when they filmed it, it was probably difficult to find a place in the world under that depth of snow, with the trees and reindeer in the right place.
Rolling Eyes
JO
Joe
Chie posted:
Now for those of you that said that there wouldn't be a Doctor Who Christams ident, it wouldn't have real reindeer and wouldn't feel Christmassey what do you think of the finished product?

I absolutely love it!

It could've been much better, in my opinion.

The music is nice though.

I think the reindeer at the beginning are real.

Of course it could've been better Chie. It was on the BBC, it was always going to be rubbish. Scrap the licence fee!
CY
cylon6
Seeing this ident made me nostalgic to see some from the past. The interesting thing is that when a new logo gets revealed it's like BBC1 has a bland ident and then a year later put more thought and creativity into them. For example the '1' was introduced in 1991 but it wasn't until the following year that they got creative with it. Likewise when the balloon was introduced it didn't feature in the Christmas idents until it's third year!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hXCBywWL7I&feature=PlayList&p=42C6908A462F6601&index=52&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

I do hope we get daytime and nightime versions but I can only remember a few times when that happened. 1984 with the snowmen, the following year, 1985, with the robins, 1988 with the partidge in the pear tree and 1993 with Santa flying over a bunch of polar bars and the '1'.

One thing I did like and hasn't been done again is the Christmas ident from 1994 where the '1' is a present all wrapped up, then on Christmas Day it's unwrapped by a couple of snowmen and then on Boxing Day the '1' is there with all the wrapping paper removed. One of my all time favourite Christmas idents.

Newer posts