TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Big week of storylines and Corrie in HD from Monday (February 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PI
pip
Terribly sad news indeed. Great story about Maggie Jones being a real giggler, apparently she laughed so much once on stage that she wet herself and fused the electrics forcing the production to be cancelled... I do hope that's true.

Isn't it a bit shameful that there's no mention of it on itv.com?
PT
Put The Telly On
Terrible news. This past decade I'd say she has been up there with the legends such as the great Pat Phoenix, Vi Carson and Doris Speed.

Maggie said in her last interview that she hated playing Blanche and couldn't play her properly if she liked the role (something like that I think).

A complete loss. I'm sure the scriptwriters will indeed give her a great send off.
RO
rob Founding member
Saddened to hear the news this afternoon. She was a great actress who will be missed by all who knew her.

RIP.
RD
RDJ
Devestating news. I was hoping she'd make a comeback after news of her illness a few weeks ago. I'd go as far a saying she was one of the most popular and well-known characters on Corrie this decade. It's a shame there will be no more Blanche-isms.

Question is what will ITV do with the episodes that she is still appearing in.
NE
newsatten
Just heard it on Paul O Grady - really sad news , only a little while ago it seemed she was making a recovery.

RDJ posted:
Devestating news. I was hoping she'd make a comeback after news of her illness a few weeks ago. I'd go as far a saying she was one of the most popular and well-known characters on Corrie this decade. It's a shame there will be no more Blanche-isms.

I should think they might air the remaining episodes , before her on screen death is announced in the new year.

Her great one - liners will be sadly missed . R.I.P Maggie.
BR
breakingnews
Taken from the Sun website

Telling Liz McDonald off for leaving her washing drying all over the sitting room: "Kenneth doesn't want to stare at thongs all day. The man's an intellectual!"

To Deirdre: "You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise you're going to have a very unhappy old age".

To Tracy who's in a good mood: "You look remarkably chipper. Trod on a snail?"

On Christmas Day: "This turkey is dry enough to choke a camel."

On Liz: "Skirt no bigger than a belt, too much eyeliner, and roots as dark as her soul."

On cafe owner Roy Cropper and his transsexual wife Hayley: "He's a looney and she's a man."

And on hearing Peter and Leanne want their own bar: "An alcoholic and an arsonist open a bar? Sounds like the start of a joke."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/2755471/Maggie-Jones-dies-aged-75.html#ixzz0YYKl9YQV
:-(
A former member
The best one was in the "help" meeting. with Deirdre, Ken and peter and she goes off on one,

does anyone have a clip of that!
CH
chris
The best one was in the "help" meeting. with Deirdre, Ken and peter and she goes off on one,

does anyone have a clip of that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e54gzq5Xr0Y

Obviously not my clip, but found on YouTube. One of my most favourite scenes of all time.
PT
Put The Telly On
RDJ posted:

Well, last night, it was announced she was at the One O'clock club and rang Deirdre deciding not to get a taxi back. Whether this is where she's been written out or not, I'm not sure.
NE
newsatten
now on the corrie website
Quote:
Maggie Jones, who played Corrie battle-axe Blanche Hunt, has sadly passed away aged 75.

The much-loved actress had been making a slow recovery after falling ill in October, but her condition deteriorated early on Wednesday morning and she died peacefully in her sleep at the Salford Royal Hospital.

William Roache, who plays on-screen son-in-law Ken Barlow, payed tribute to Maggie who has starred as the pensioner since 1974.

“Maggie was a big part of the Barlow family and a brilliant actress,” he said. “She was a tower of strength, physically frail but mentally strong as an ox and sharp as someone half her age. She had an amazing dry wit and was as funny, if not funnier than Blanche.” He added: “I don’t think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed.”

Coronation Street Executive Producer Kieran Roberts said: “Maggie was a much-loved colleague and a wonderful actress who turned Blanche into a true Coronation Street icon. She will be hugely missed by Coronation Street’s many millions of viewers and by everyone who works on Coronation Street. Our thoughts and prayers go to Maggie’s sister Joan at this very sad time.”

Maggie’s agent Katie Threlfall said: “Maggie was a rare treasure; incredibly kind, honest and loved by so many. It has been such a privilege to work with her, and we will miss her dearly.”

Maggie appeared in more than 830 episodes of Coronation Street and her barbed one-line comments made her one of the best-loved soap characters of all time.

Our thoughts are with Maggie's family and friends at this difficult time.
NI
Nicky
Such a shock to hear this news - she will be missed.
JE
Jez Founding member
Very sad news indeed - another Corrie legend gone. May she rest in peace.

Newer posts