TV Home Forum

Strictly Come Dancing

Who will win: Ricky Whittle or Chris Hollins (August 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
Tumble Tower
Why did Craig say they were like a bush kangaroo? Evidently that upset them, to make them want to walk off. That's the first time I've ever seen a couple walk off like that in the aftermath of a judge's comment. Surely they shouldn't be allowed to say things that could upset the contestants.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Why did Craig say they were like a bush kangaroo? Evidently that upset them, to make them want to walk off. That's the first time I've ever seen a couple walk off like that in the aftermath of a judge's comment. Surely they shouldn't be allowed to say things that could upset the contestants.

Oh don't be ridiculous. Craig is known for his acerbic comments, its part of the show.

To be fair to him he only embellished Len's "grasshopper" comment by saying, "I though it was more of a bush kangaroo" - so he probably hadn't planned to say any such thing.
DA
David

It was just a joke.

Clue: If they had really walked off, do you think they would wait around to be interviewed by Tess Daly?
TI
tiggerboy0301
Craig comment was in reply to Bruno saying, 'it was skippy like a grass-hopper'. Craig then said no it was more like a bush kangaroo as in Skippy the bush Kangaroo a well know television show that was popular in Craig's birth place of Australia. At what point was this an attack on Jo Wood or even Brendan?

14 days later

TT
Tumble Tower
Well what a shocking result last night.

Chris & Ola, Craig & Flavia and Ricky & Erin were all in the bottom four of the judges' leader board.

The dance off was Ali & Brian (joint 3rd with 33 judges' votes) v Zoe & James (5th with 32 judges' votes).

Right at the end, Bruno was shocked, but decided to save Ali & Brian. Len said the result was ludicrous.

Personally I think neither Ali & Brian nor Zoe & James should have been in the dance-off. They should have gone straight through. The dance off should have been two couples from Chris & Ola, Craig & Flavia and Ricky & Erin.

I get the impression some viewers deliberately vote for couples who are bottom (or 2nd bottom) on the judges leader board, no matter how bad the dancing was, just to get them through, at the expense of saving those in the top five. Remember last year one couple who ought really not to have been in the dance off, and who wasn't saved by the judges votes which followed, said "I wish people would vote for the quality of the dancing, not their favourite stars". That was when people kept voting for that old man (can't remember his name) who kept coming bottom (or near bottom) of the judges' scores, thereby saving him from the dance-off at the expense of better couples week by week. In the end he withdrew of his own accord.
JO
Joshua
I think Chris got through because of Ola's revealing catsuit!
MA
Markymark
Well what a shocking result last night.

I get the impression some viewers deliberately vote for couples who are bottom (or 2nd bottom) on the judges leader board, no matter how bad the dancing was, just to get them through, at the expense of saving those in the top five. Remember last year one couple who ought really not to have been in the dance off, and who wasn't saved by the judges votes which followed, said "I wish people would vote for the quality of the dancing, not their favourite stars". That was when people kept voting for that old man (can't remember his name) who kept coming bottom (or near bottom) of the judges' scores, thereby saving him from the dance-off at the expense of better couples week by week. In the end he withdrew of his own accord.

I fail to understand the need to have the public involved in deciding the winners of this programme at all, removing the phone voting would solve these problems immediately ?
JE
Jenny Founding member
Well, that's the format. Last night's result was reminiscent of the occasion two years ago when Gabby Logan and Penny Lancaster wound up in the dance-off. It was complicated this week by Ali's injury, and actually I think Zoe gave the better performance in the dance-off because Ali's injury was affecting her performance. She got through the first dance OK, but the dance-off was too much.

9 days later

BP
bpmikey
I thought the show from Bristol was spectacular this weekend and by a mile; was the best episode so far in the competition. the huge ballroom made the London one look, quitefrankly, abismal. I hope the set gets a refresh next year. And for once, this week, the judges bottom 2 were the public's bottom 2 and I was thrilled that hopeless and bigheaded Craig went out. Also, Alesha's put-downs were really good on Saturday! She told Craig 'You are actually not as good as you think you are' which really made his blood boil.

I wonder if somebody could help me out here...Is it dancing tradition that the judging table is where it is? (on the left hand side of the dance floor) as I have always thought that the set would work better with the judges at the far end of the studio, opposite the Orchestra (or even infront of the orchestra) and either put more seating where the judges used to be or have Tess's area there. Cheers to all those who give a reasonable answer!
DO
dosxuk
I thought the show from Bristol

Bristol??

the huge ballroom made the London one look, quitefrankly, abismal.

One is a real ballroom, one is a set. The set will always look inferior to the real ballroom.
BP
bpmikey
I thought the show from Bristol

Bristol??

the huge ballroom made the London one look, quitefrankly, abismal.

One is a real ballroom, one is a set. The set will always look inferior to the real ballroom.

Sorry.. BLACKPOOL!!! apologies to those who took offence!

Well obviously the set will look inferior in comparison. What I was trying to get at was that the set didn't do a very convincing job as a ballroom in comparison to the real thing. Studio 1 is soo big and yet the set is very much smaller.
DO
dosxuk
But TC1 isn't that big compared to the ballroom in Blackpool. The dancefloor alone in the Tower Ballroom is 14,000sq ft, while TC1's complete floorspace (so having to hold the audience, orchestra, judges, cameras and firelanes) is only slightly over 10,000sq ft.

Newer posts