TV Home Forum

The CUBE

New ITV1 Gameshow (August 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TR
trivialmatters
RDJ posted:
I just thought it was awful. Just how can you make picking balls up from the floor or walking in a straight line blindfolded exciting on a saturday night? With fancy graphics and matrix-style slow-mos is how.

I think part of the interest is that you can scoff at the contestants, "hah, she can't even throw a ball", but then you realise the challenges are incredibly difficult and it's interesting to see the contestants gamble with whether they think they can do it.

Even on today's show, I thought the "walk 2 metres blindfolded" challenge was interesting because she initially approached it by walking very slowly, but then found the way to do it is just run!

As long as there's a fresh supply of games, it will be a very good format. I also liked the 'simply' lifeline sometimes being incredibly rubbish. "We'll take away TWO balls" - great stuff.
BA
bilky asko
RDJ posted:
I just thought it was awful. Just how can you make picking balls up from the floor or walking in a straight line blindfolded exciting on a saturday night? With fancy graphics and matrix-style slow-mos is how.

I think part of the interest is that you can scoff at the contestants, "hah, she can't even throw a ball", but then you realise the challenges are incredibly difficult and it's interesting to see the contestants gamble with whether they think they can do it.

Even on today's show, I thought the "walk 2 metres blindfolded" challenge was interesting because she initially approached it by walking very slowly, but then found the way to do it is just run!

As long as there's a fresh supply of games, it will be a very good format. I also liked the 'simply' lifeline sometimes being incredibly rubbish. "We'll take away TWO balls" - great stuff.

The lifeline varies in its usefulness, and I think that's the point of it.

I think the crapness of the format, the show, and the set was completely offset by the crapness of the contestants. No matter how bad a show is, if a contestant can't do it, then it's a hell of a lot better. Especially when they gamble all of their money and lose it because they don't think through the task logically. I'd watch it again just to laugh at them.
RO
rob Founding member
DS reports 5.2 million watched the show last night...
SG
SiGa
I enjoyed it.

I recorded it and watched later on last night after I finished watching a DVD.

Wasn't keen on the slow motion bits but they will probably grow on me. I may try and watch when it is on next week or perhaps around 10-15 mins after the start so I can FastForward through the ads Smile

Glad ITV have put something decent on Saturday night finally.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
It's clear a lot of thought has gone into this show.

As others have said, once you see through the flashy effects and gimmicks, it's very very slow and utterly a waste of 47minutes (plus commercials) of my life.

The first games involved a man catching a ball from the bottom of a drainpipe, picking things up from the floor, and counting dots. The next lot of games involved a girl who was "challenged" to walk in a straight line, and throw a ball in a bucket.

I didn't think ITV could insult me much further these days, but serving up this drivel as Saturday night entertainment has just done it.
BR
Brekkie
Just watched it and not quite sure what to make of it. The effects do quickly become tiresome, but although the games are ridiculously simple, they do hold your attention. I think the competitive element of Beat the Star worked better though when it comes to such simple games.

The Cube isn't bad, but it is lacking something.
LL
Larry the Loafer
The first contestant had me on the edge of my seat, and I was really enjoying the show. But, for some reason, when the second contestant came on, I was saying to myself "Oh, back to the beginning again." I can see the show wearing thin but it's something fresh and I found it to be very good.
NE
newsatten

As others have said, once you see through the flashy effects and gimmicks, it's very very slow and utterly a waste of 47minutes (plus commercials) of my life.

I don't get the " once you see through the flashy effects and gimmicks" arguement - that's what their there for - to make it faced paced ect.
Last edited by newsatten on 23 August 2009 9:30pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts